My New Song Towers!

prvngrnd

My New Song Towers!
« on: 28 Nov 2010, 03:11 pm »
So I have been saving for a little while to get the funds to purchase a pair of Song Towers and I like everyone else anticipated a long wait for the speakers to arrive. I called up Jim and told him what I was looking for, plus I had a couple of questions about some of the upgrades that were available. In the end he managed to convince me that if any of the upgrades were a significant improvement over the sound of the stock Song Towers that he would probably end up building them into the design and charging a little bit more; fwiw the only upgrade I was seriously considering was the Sonicap upgrade. As it so happened, Jim just finished building a pair of stock Song Towers in curly cherry with a rose red dye. They were supposed to got to someone who wasn't sure about the finish on the first set up speakers he ordered. Well, said purchaser was happy with the veneer he first chose, so Jim was sitting on an already built set that was exactly what I wanted! (or rather, we wanted – I picked the speakers, my wife picked the color) I ordered my Song Towers on Wednesday and I had them in my house the following Monday!

The box arrived in perfect condition from FedEx. As everyone has already mentioned in previous posts, these speakers are packaged to withstand any number of natural disasters. Once the packing materials were removed, I was stunned. Sure this was not an exotic wood, but it is hard to over-state the classic styling of the veneer for these speakers – it was love at first sight. The proportions. The shine. The contrast of black baffles on rose red. Wow!

It should be noted that I bought my Song Towers listen, unheard (i.e. like sight unseen). For the most part I lurked around Audio Circle taking in reviews and advice and generally getting a feel for the quality and value that is available in the hi-fi world. There isn't a big audiophile scene in Memphis as best I can tell (someone point me in the right direction if this is inaccurate), so it was difficult to find a place to sit and listen to any potential purchases. I had a $2,000 price point in mind and from all of the musings I ran across it seemed like Song Towers were the way to go. I took it as a good sign that Salk Speakers rarely came up for sale either on Audio Circle's Trading Post or over on Audiogon.

Some background. I am, at best, a novice in the hobby and I have not had the opportunity to listen to many systems that one might categorize as audiophile quality. My system, is modest: Squeezebox Duet with CI Audio Power supply and a Cambridge Audio 640a V2 integrated amp. My previous speakers were JM Labs Focal 806s monitors. 

As for listening impressions, I am certain that no one here is surprised that, I was not disappointed. In fact, as with the aesthetics of the finish, the function also floored me. I first chose Spoon's album “Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga.” From the first notes of “Don't Make Me a Target” I was struck by a number of things:

Imaging. I thought I understood what it meant to have a sound stage with depth and detail. Well, the Song Towers showed me just how wrong I was. Every instrument, every vocal had its own place – there was no stacking of sounds is the best way I can describe it. In essence the music was much alive than before (more on that later). Decay. I never realized how my previous speakers were “rounding off” sounds - Guitar strumming, cymbals and most notably piano keys. Every note from a piano now has an added dimension of warmth and real-life character that was not there before. Balance. My previous speakers were too bright. The Song Towers were even across every frequency yielding a much more natural sound-scape.

I sorted through many of my other favorites: Ryan Adams “Gold,” Beck  “Sea Change,” Wilco “Yankee Hotel Foxtrot,” Radiohead “Kid A” and another aspect became apparent. I was missing a lot of my music. Places in the composition that were once dead spots resonated with tones that transitioned in and out, back forth from channel to channel. Incredible!

Even with all of this, my favorite thing about the Song Towers is how my live recordings really capture the mood and sound of the venue now. I mentioned this whole notion of sounds being “stacked” before, well now I can hear the confinement of the small club show or the open-air surge of the summertime sets at the outdoor amphitheater. Much of this character was missing before. My listening is mostly audience recorded live music, especially Widespread Panic who I spent my early college years following around the country. Now when I listen to some of the shows I attended, I have even more of a sense of being there all over again.

A couple of final notes. The Song Towers actually sound better, louder. At first I thought that was over-zealous emotions of a new speaker purchase, then I sat my wife down, she listened, and she agreed. This is a wonderful woman who approves of my foray into this hobby but does not like loud music by a long shot. Also, there is no more fatigue. With my old speakers I could only actively listen for so long before my ears would tire. But now thanks to my Song Towers I can listen louder and for longer!

Thanks Jim!

-Adam

Big Red Machine

Re: My New Song Towers!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2010, 03:45 pm »
Adam, swap the speakers and put the tweeter on the inside, toward the middle.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2010, 03:57 pm »
 Nice to hear a happy camper. Enjoy. Amazing how a good speaker makes your existing gear sound. 

charles

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2010, 03:58 pm »
+1 on Big Reds tweeter move, the imaging gets even better with both tweeters closer to the middle. Congrats and enjoy!!!

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2010, 04:37 pm »
+1 on Big Reds tweeter move, the imaging gets even better with both tweeters closer to the middle. Congrats and enjoy!!!

Hi  Thanks for the report.  They're beautiful.  Don't assume you have them set up backwards.  You can switch and see if it makes any difference, but there's no scientific rule of thumb for the tweeter orientation.  It depends on the particfular tweeter, crossover, and baffle, and the phases of the moon. 

prvngrnd

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2010, 04:48 pm »
Quote from: Big Red Machine
Adam, swap the speakers and put the tweeter on the inside, toward the middle.

Hi  Thanks for the report.  They're beautiful.  Don't assume you have them set up backwards.  You can switch and see if it makes any difference, but there's no scientific rule of thumb for the tweeter orientation.  It depends on the particfular tweeter, crossover, and baffle, and the phases of the moon.

I was wondering if there was something to the orientation of the tweeter. They have been to the outside now for about a week or so. I will switch sides and see what the inside position reveals (or doesn't).

Thanks for the feedback, folks.

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2010, 04:49 pm »
Don't assume you have them set up backwards.  You can switch and see if it makes any difference, but there's no scientific rule of thumb for the tweeter orientation.  It depends on the particfular tweeter, crossover, and baffle, and the phases of the moon.

+1 on DMurphy's suggestion. Nice to have both options. Mine worked best on the inside, but try out both as DMurphy mentions.

Congratulations on your acquisition.

Kinger

« Reply #7 on: 28 Nov 2010, 04:54 pm »
Welcome to the Songtower owners group!  I've had my Songtowers with LCY tweeters since the early part of the year and I still am amazed at the sound they produce each time I get the opportunity to listen to them.

Saturn94

« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2010, 05:04 pm »
Beautiful!

I really enjoyed reading your review.

Like others said, see for yourself which tweeter position works best for you.

Earlier this year I auditioned a pair of Magnepan 1.7s which have their tweeter beside the mid/bass panel.  I believe many Maggie owners (and I think Magnepan also) recommend placing them with the tweeters on the inside.  However, during my audition I tried them both ways and actually prefered them with tweeters on the outside.

Let us know how it goes. :)

billmcc

« Reply #9 on: 28 Nov 2010, 11:24 pm »
As it so happened, Jim just finished building a pair of stock Song Towers in curly cherry with a rose red dye. They were supposed to got to someone who wasn't sure about the finish on the first set up speakers he ordered. Well, said purchaser was happy with the veneer he first chose, so Jim was sitting on an already built set that was exactly what I wanted!

prvngrnd,

I am glad to hear you are happy with the SongTowers :). Great review and it echos my thoughts as well.

I want to add that I am the person that your STs were built for :wink:. Its is a long story one that Jim already mentioned in a previous thread in the Available for Immediate Delivery section. There was a slight miscue at Salk as I ordered the color you have but was sent Medium Curly Cherry by mistake. When I contacted Jim he apologized and said he would build another set of STs and Song Center right away. Talk about excellent service :D.

After discussing with Jim what would work the best as far as the least out of pocket for Jim it was decided to try to sell my STs and Song Center locally. That did not happen and after a few months I let Jim know I was fine with the STs and Song Center I had. My thoughts were that Jim went above and beyond to make me happy but having Jim lose $300-350 in shipping both ways was not something I was comfortable with.

In the end I'm glad I did what I did although seeing the pictures of your STs made me wonder if I did the right thing. But after thinking about it I did do the right thing and by your post it appears that there is another happy ST owner to add to a long list of ST owners :).

Bill

ratso

« Reply #10 on: 28 Nov 2010, 11:45 pm »
nice review, and nice speakers. also glad people brought up the tweeter inside/outside thing - i meant to ask that in my review but forgot.

Ace Deprave

« Reply #11 on: 29 Nov 2010, 03:49 pm »
Very nice! Enjoy that lingering lead on those beauties!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #12 on: 29 Nov 2010, 10:59 pm »
Another beautiful speaker by Jim.

In regardto the tweeter position, you may find one way works better than another as others have mentioned. I have a pair of the HT2-TLs with the RAAL ribbon and I prefer the tweeter to the outside. In [my] room, I get a broader soundstage while still maintaining great center imaging.

With most dome tweeters, I have prefered them to the inside with plannars and ribbons, outside seem to be better. Different speakers, different rooms, you never know. Besides the offset is so small, you may not notice much of a difference.

Be sure to play with the toe-in as well. Again, no rule of thumb here either.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:35 am »
Wow, those are gorgeous speakers.  I bet they can take some power, too.  How much are you feeding them?  Congrats to you and the wife!

Nuance

« Reply #14 on: 30 Nov 2010, 01:24 am »
Those look great, prvngrnd!  Thanks so much for sharing your impressions, and welcome to the Salk family.

prvngrnd

« Reply #15 on: 30 Nov 2010, 03:00 am »
@billmcc - After seeing a pair of Song Towers in person for the first time I can't imagine that Salk puts out an ugly pair of anything so I am sure your medium cherry speakers are gorgeous as well! In fact I liked the lighter finishes in pictures, but my wife has other visions for our media room. Is that irony? I am never sure how to use the word correctly. But no matter what the finish, I am certain that we are both enjoying some fantastic tunes!  :D

@roymail - 100wpc @ 4 ohms from the integrated as of now. There are of course plans for a little more power and separates in the future. From perusing these forums, AVA gear is high on my list but that will have to wait.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2010, 12:24 pm by prvngrnd »

taoggniklat

« Reply #16 on: 30 Nov 2010, 04:56 pm »
Very nice, congrats.

KYRANGER

« Reply #17 on: 2 Dec 2010, 04:41 pm »
Nice speakers! 

I just purchased a set of SongTowers myself in the Curly Walnut.  I am suppose to get them early next week.  Like most, I bought these sight unseen and unheard.  Was going to get the B&W 683's, but changed my mind after talking with Jim and seeing reviews.  I'll soon know if I made the right decision!  Now I have to decide if I should get the center and sub! 

I also need to decide whether to power these with my existing Denon 3802 or Harmon Kardon AVR65....or buy a new amp????  Ugh!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 3 Dec 2010, 05:53 pm »
KYRANGER,

AVA Ultravalve and SongTowers will make you really smile!!

Alex
 :thumb:

KYRANGER

« Reply #19 on: 3 Dec 2010, 06:24 pm »
Alex,
Thanks for the input.  The Ultravalve looks very nice!  I suspect it sounds even better.  I'll throw it in the hat for consideration.  I never owned a tube amp...yet.  So many decision!  Can't wait to get the SongTowers.  Your system looks great!

Bob