Okay, Okay, Sam, I'll take one!

Big Red Machine

Re: Okay, Okay, Sam, I'll take one!
« Reply #20 on: 29 Nov 2010, 06:58 pm »
Well, one was bright and aggressive and the other was and deceivingly smooth.  Guess which was which.

Notice the BMF in the foreground?

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #21 on: 29 Nov 2010, 07:04 pm »
I think I know. :)

Yes, I remember the picture way back when. ;) :)

I built such a cabinet decided not to go ahead with it.

I just might build it out to see how good it can get.

You are absolutely right about the brightness of the Refs.

By the way, did you notice any such brightness with our Trinity when you visited our room at RMAF?  You were talking with Kevin so I didn't want to barge in. :)

Thanks Pete,

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #22 on: 29 Nov 2010, 07:40 pm »
Hi   I didn't quite understand whether there was inherently less bass output from the SS center than you were expecting, or whether there is just less bass content to be had in movie track center channels than you thought. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #23 on: 29 Nov 2010, 07:42 pm »
there is just less bass content to be had in movie track center channels than you thought.
:cry: :cry:

jsalk

« Reply #24 on: 29 Nov 2010, 09:25 pm »
A few years back, after we finished watching a movie in our home theater, my wife, Mary, casually mentioned that the sound quality was so good, she didn't even notice it.  Mary is not into audio, so I was quite surprised by her comments.  Without knowing it, she hit on an extremely important point.  That is the way it should be!

Pete obviously wanted to hear a center channel that commanded his attention.  He was a bit disappointed when it did not.  But that is the point.  As with the SoundScape 10's and 12's, the idea was to produce a speaker that simply gets out of the way and allows the content to command center stage.

I have, over the years, attended quite a few demos of new subwoofer systems.  On most of those occasions, the output was certainly impressive.  Unfortunately, they completely drew my attention away from the screen.  This is not good.  In a well-designed system, you should not even realize they are there (other than the fact that you are hearing extremely deep bass).

In this case, Pete wanted to hear an impressive speaker.  Our design goal was to produce a speaker that was, in essence, invisible.  So while this speaker was not what Pete was expecting, it sounds like we accomplished exactly what we had intended.  I hope Pete would agree.

- Jim

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #25 on: 29 Nov 2010, 10:49 pm »
:cry: :cry:

Bummer.  So I take it the center channel really is mainly for dialog?  I don't think it's a waste of the Anarchy woofers, though.  I think they're designed primarily for maximum headroom rather than ultimate extension. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #26 on: 30 Nov 2010, 07:41 pm »

In this case, Pete wanted to hear an impressive speaker.  Our design goal was to produce a speaker that was, in essence, invisible.  So while this speaker was not what Pete was expecting, it sounds like we accomplished exactly what we had intended.  I hope Pete would agree.

- Jim

Hell yes!  I have added it to my upgrade list for next year!  Right after new amps and Sound Scapes!