What to order HT3's

carusoracer

What to order HT3's
« on: 28 Feb 2007, 08:58 pm »
Well, after a very fine audition at Mr. Salk's residence I have to get these speakers aa

I'm stretching it to make it to the basic HT3 model with out the baffle with just a nice Bubbinga Waterfall finish, unless my Wife See's them at the upcoming Akfest and changes her mind :lol: I'm hoping that once in person she hears them and can see them I should be good to go.
 What if any things are a must to have when ordering so that I'm not running back to MI for updates?

I thought the Black Hole treatment and possible a front firing port? My room is great room with cathedral ceiling but it will not be able to have the speakers placed more than 24" from the wall. I hate boomy bass which is one thing I was pleased to hear at Jim's. I have talked to Jim about it and he said it will be close but OK...
I have the Gallo Ref 3's with SA that I really like to tame my difficult room, especially phase. The room has full carpeting,light drapes and a rug in front of Couch. Eight Nerve adapt seems in the 2 front corners and directly above the system itself.

I really like my ref 3's with imaging and the tailoring characteristics of the SA, but after hearing the HT'3 I was very impressed. Similar in sound but so accurate in the Mid's. Treble close with the Gallo CDT but equally impressive. Mid to lower mids were so clean I listened to a few cuts twice to believe what I had heard. The Van Alstine gear is very nice as well. I had wanted to listen to the Amp for some time and it drove the HT3 nicely.

Listening habits: Jazz,Samba,New Age,Trance,Classical,Blues. Any help appreciated. Help me realize my dream speakers.

http://www.audiocircle.com/systems/index.php?systemid=570 can not update...Shanling T200 CDP w/Bendix Redbanks tubes, Odyssey Dual Mono's Black Sand White light PC for PreAmp, SilverFi IC's, U707 Gold Lion, Mullard Gold Pin 10M

Thanks,Mark
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2007, 02:53 pm by carusoracer »

Big Red Machine

Re: What to order HT3's
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2007, 01:48 pm »
Way cool!

You definitely need to get the wife to see the waterfall up close.  You should make the stop at the house and she can touch and feel the high gloss version.

Is your room really 12 x 14 or is that a typo?  You'll have to treat the crap out of it wrt bass.  My ports are rear firing and I am just about 2' from the back wall.  My whole set up is near field as my room is only 14' deep.  Front ports are an option.  Some recent customer photos show them.

I noticed the PS Audio spkr cable.  Not familiar with the Prelude version.  I have the Resolution version on right now and really like them.  I recently had the Anti-cables, then Jim's fancy speaker cables from the Bell Lab guru, then Signal Cable copper wires, then the PS.  The PS were just about as resolving as the Bell Lab wires.  The Anti cables are excellent, but now I know are a little muddier than the others.

Anyways, on options I would just go stock all the way.  I didn't like the baffle look myself, wasn't interested in wiring changes, external xovers, etc.  The plinths make them look prettier and stand out, but really do not affect the sound.  Baffles are for looks only.  Black hole is not necessary IMO.  Grills are just about a waste of time as the will be off more than on.

So other than the veneer you could hold your costs down easily.  Looks like a really good system you have already.

My $.02

Pete

carusoracer

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2007, 04:23 pm »
Thanks Pete,

Yes, I was hoping to the invitation would be extended as we talked about :wink:. I can't see all the possible Veneer combinations that Jim had but hopefully can narrow down. I think she believes only males are involved in this audio luvfest, so I hope that meeting and seeing others at Akfest can help.

I thought I had the dimensions correct but just think great room with open cathedral ceiling and loft.
The room itself is not huge but it's what I have to work with.

The speaker cables are for some reason very balanced. I have heard better speaker cables in my system but these seem to work until I finish my source gear changes. I have gone through numerous IC's and that is not updated on my profile either.

From what I heard these speakers will quickly reveal any upstream faults aa

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2007, 04:46 pm »
You bring up several good points.  I did consult with my wife on veneer choices before deciding.  She has better taste than me.  Even though the 2 channel room is a man cave and the speakers don't have exposure as in a living room, you never know.

And my newly found opinion on cables is based on living with the HT3's.  I agree that you will need to find a new system synergy, but only after you have several months of ingraining the sound into your gray matter.  Only them, IMHO, can you detect changes cables can make for the better.

Looking forward to seeing you later this month.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2007, 02:22 pm »
as another owner of waterfall burginga I must say that no photo does Jim's finishing work on these speakers justice, they are so exquisitely done, thanks Jim

your musical tastes are right in line with these speakers strongholds - perfect tonality, disappear in the room imaging and dispersion and incredible detail and instrument resolution

enjoy

Tom

carusoracer

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2007, 02:42 pm »
Good to hear the comments from owners. :thumb:

I did re measure my current length from the front wall and it is only 19". I'm hoping that it will not be a problem? I do not seem to like the look of the front ports as I do the clean look of the front of the speaker and beautiful veneer work.

It did take quite a bit of work to get room treatments passed the WAF so adding more will not go over to well :oops:  Maybe the Blackhole treatment will help...

texas steve

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2007, 03:18 pm »
Good to hear the comments from owners. :thumb:

I did re measure my current length from the front wall and it is only 19". I'm hoping that it will not be a problem? I do not seem to like the look of the front ports as I do the clean look of the front of the speaker and beautiful veneer work.

It did take quite a bit of work to get room treatments passed the WAF so adding more will not go over to well :oops:  Maybe the Blackhole treatment will help...

MY HT3s are 22" out from the wall and 26 from the side wall.  NO problem!!

koiman

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2007, 03:43 pm »
I have had my HT3 as close as 14 inches from the wall without any problems.

woody

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2007, 10:45 pm »
Carusoracer --  I'm not sure of you, texas steve and koiman are measuring from the rear of the cabinet or not, but I have my HT3s 24" out from the rear wall (measured to rear of the cabinet) and I don't experience what I would refer to "boomy" bass.  I also don't have any acoustical treatments in place.

texas steve

« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2007, 11:14 pm »
Carusoracer --  I'm not sure of you, texas steve and koiman are measuring from the rear of the cabinet or not, but I have my HT3s 24" out from the rear wall (measured to rear of the cabinet) and I don't experience what I would refer to "boomy" bass.  I also don't have any acoustical treatments in place.

Yep, I measring from the rear top edge aa

koiman

« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2007, 12:25 am »
Same here, I measured from the top rear corner closest to the wall. My toe in is angled 1 inch difference from top right to top left.
Lee :D