Cute video - cute little amp....... with MBLs 116!!!!

Mariusz

I came about this video while ordering this tinny amp for my buddy.
There is also review in the making on 6 Moons

Here are the spects:

Output Impedance: 8 ohms (Japan Z11-EI48*24 Output Transformers)
Power Output: 2.5W+2.5W @ 8 ohms
Frequency Response: 30-20Khz (+-1db)
Residual Noise < 0.8mVac
Input AC Voltage: 85-132Vac or 176-265Vac
Dimensions: 130 x 100mm
Input: RCA Jacks
Output: Banana Jacks
AC: Standard IEC Jack with Fuse protection (2A Fuse)
Weight: 1.5kg

And here is the link:
little giant sings

I found it quite interesting and thought to share about it with you fine people. :lol:

Best
Mariusz  :thumb:

ltr317

Re: Cute video - cute little amp....... with MBLs 116!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2009, 04:00 am »
Mariusz,

That amp is a powerhouse compared to the Zvex Imp amp:  http://zvexamps.com/

Here's a video of it:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOFmzMu2gBE  This is part 1 of 5 parts on Youtube.

These two, along with the Fatman and Glow amps have started a trend toward flea powered amps. 

Paul

Mariusz

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2009, 04:47 am »
Cute !!!!
Have you heard any of those ????
Glow 1 after mods is quite nice but a bit pricey - close to 1K after modifications. (at this moment I have to keep my mouth shut about the mods source but will spill the beans in the near future).
Few minutes ago confirmation of my order was received and MiniWatt should be on the way very soon.
Ofcaurse I'll try it in my system for a week.
 It just so happens that I am breaking in my other SD bipolar  floor-standers which are in the prototype stage (you'll love 'em). Their sensitivity is in the 90's and should be able to be easily driven by this flea amp.

Best
Mariusz :thumb:

ltr317

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2009, 05:11 am »
I have only heard the Fatman amp at a friend's place.  Since all my speakers are in the mid-80s db (AAD, Heybook, ACI) in sensitivity, except for the Hsu HB-1s (92 db), I haven't really been interested in the flea power amps. 

Mariusz

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2009, 01:34 pm »
I have only heard the Fatman amp at a friend's place.  Since all my speakers are in the mid-80s db (AAD, Heybook, ACI) in sensitivity, except for the Hsu HB-1s (92 db), I haven't really been interested in the flea power amps.

Well, from what I hear this is not your ordinary iPod amp but well made  integrated with limitations of ALL low power tube amps.

Paul,
can you tell me more about these 6J1 & 6P1 tubes?

THX

ltr317

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2009, 10:31 pm »
I don't know too much about these two types, except that the 6J1 is a small input tube and the 6P1 is a Russian derived output tube that is similiar to an 6AQ5 and 6BQ5/EL84 tube but with less output. 

Mariusz

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2009, 11:18 pm »
I don't know too much about these two types, except that the 6J1 is a small input tube and the 6P1 is a Russian derived output tube that is similiar to an 6AQ5 and 6BQ5/EL84 tube but with less output.

Thanks Paul
I am having a hard time finding the source ......... just in case there is a need to replace "burnouts".

ltr317

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2009, 12:26 am »
Can't you get replacements from where you got the amp? 

Mariusz

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2009, 12:51 am »
Thought about it after ordering it........ :duh:
Since it isn't for me the sourcing out tubes will lay in owner's hand but when I brought it up yesterday to his attention  :o :o :o :o :o was the reaction. :lol:

Mariusz

Mariusz

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2009, 09:14 pm »
Here is the amp playing.

It drives my "frankenstein" bipolar speakers with ease. The drivers in these boxes are Omega 8'' full range drivers. I also made them with modified Fostex FE206eN.  Two cabinets are different as you can see for evaluation purposes. (MDF on the left - Baltic Birch on the right).
In all honesty - this thing is a KILLER ....... I kid you NOT.