Need Details on the top of the line tube pre !

Soundsgreat

Need Details on the top of the line tube pre !
« on: 10 Jun 2009, 08:35 am »
Hi,

I have some questions to the guys here  :wink:!

I wish to build a new Tube Pre and was looking at various options and designs, I have almost shortlisted the circuit below and need some opinions on that !! Also if someone has a better circuit (either hybrid or otherwise) please post it here so that I can try to use it !!

Also I have some doubts,Although it seems like a foolish one's but I still have them none the less and want to clear it !!

1) The Current ratings on the tube is not much,but is 50MA sufficient for stereo circuit ?
2) The Heater Current is 300MA according to the datasheet,will it constantly draw that much ? will a 500MA rated trafo work for both the channels (Stereo ) ??
3) I plan to use a Silver plated PCB as opposed to a P2P wiring,So although die hard fans will say no I want to just get a opinion as how bad this can be ??

This is all I can think of as of now !!

Please do share your thoughts and idea's and help me out  :icon_lol:

Regards.

Soundsgreat

Re: Need Details on the top of the line tube pre !
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2009, 08:51 am »
Hi,

Oops forgot the pic of the circuit !!

Regards.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2009, 01:33 pm »
1) The Current ratings on the tube is not much,but is 50MA sufficient for stereo circuit ?
Sounds about right for most tube pres.

2) The Heater Current is 300MA according to the datasheet,will it constantly draw that much ? will a 500MA rated trafo work for both the channels (Stereo ) ??
Yes, heater current draw is constant like a light bulb.  I can't see your circuit right now, so I can't comment on the second half of your question.

However, read this blog entry by the master. (Further down the page starting with "The math behind heater power supply rectification ").

3) I plan to use a Silver plated PCB as opposed to a P2P wiring,So although die hard fans will say no I want to just get a opinion as how bad this can be ??

Read this thread.  Lots of good info here from very experienced builders.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145381

Steve

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2009, 02:39 pm »
Hi,

I have some questions to the guys here  :wink:!

I wish to build a new Tube Pre and was looking at various options and designs, I have almost shortlisted the circuit below and need some opinions on that !! Also if someone has a better circuit (either hybrid or otherwise) please post it here so that I can try to use it !!

Also I have some doubts,Although it seems like a foolish one's but I still have them none the less and want to clear it !!

This is all I can think of as of now !!

Please do share your thoughts and idea's and help me out  :icon_lol:

Regards.

Link not working sounds great. Could you try again? Thanks.

Soundsgreat

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2009, 02:53 pm »
Hi,

Josh thanks a lot for the reply !

I can't see your circuit right now, so I can't comment on the second half of your question.

Can't you see the circuit in my second post ?

Anyways I think I got, Although reading the blog (the link that you gave) gave some inputs but left me in state of confusion as to how exactly one can take care of the issues pointed there !

So could you please summerise it for me if you don't mind ? I mean in terms of calculating a proper current requirements for heater supply,what are the major considerations or what is that I have to keep in mind ?

The same stuff with respect to the thread of P2P Vs the PCB !! the more I read the more I get confused to select between two !

Am sorry but thats how things been to me !!

Finally after seeing the circuit can you please comment on it ! or please do give a circuit of your choice for me to try !!

Josh and steve can you guys see this ??

Regards.

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2009, 03:04 pm »
I can't see some links because it is blocked by my firewall.  That happens and it wouldn't be something you can controll.  So right now I can see the schematic, so there is no absolutes, just general comments.

PCB design is a learned skill.  It isn't a simple thing to make a PCB that works really well.  That is the sum-it-up of that thread.  PCBs can perform just as well if designed right

The heater current question depends on whether you plan to use AC or DC.  I can't see your schematic, so I can't help you out right now. 

However, as a general comment, I'd take initiative to read up a bit on some of these topics.  You can't expect to make a "top of the line" tube preamp if you don't know the issues that sets some designs apart from the rest.

Soundsgreat

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2009, 06:43 pm »
Hi,

Josh once again thanks for the reply !!

PCB design is a learned skill.  It isn't a simple thing to make a PCB that works really well.  That is the sum-it-up of that thread.  PCBs can perform just as well if designed right 

Yes Sir I got that part ! but I thought perhaps there's more to it and Am not able to understand !! Well as I said Am not newbie to the Audio or DIY !! been DIYing various stuff from past quite a few years !  but never have tested the waters of a tube based design !! So I surely know can agree completely with that summery !!

The heater current question depends on whether you plan to use AC or DC.  I can't see your schematic, so I can't help you out right now.

So clumsy of me :duh: !! In the excitement of posting I tend to forget these things ! Should I exercise the attitude in building the pre Am sure it'll get me killed  :nono:!!

Here's the Schematic of the PSU !!

However, as a general comment, I'd take initiative to read up a bit on some of these topics.  You can't expect to make a "top of the line" tube preamp if you don't know the issues that sets some designs apart from the rest.

Yes very valid one ! I have been studying it for some time,have helped a friend build the AKSA GK1 ! But don't get me wrong,Am just one of those who are more practical then theoretical and also learn quite fast that way (thats how I have learnt bout Audio and in general bout things ) !!

So although I know some basics on the subject I would need to build some and start the ball rolling !!

Anything that I may have missed ?? please do let me know !

Regards.

Soundsgreat

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2009, 06:46 pm »
Hi,

Hello josh, Anybody ??????? :roll:

Waiting for a suitable reply !!

Regards.