Luxman CL 40 vs Leben RS28

VonHess

Luxman CL 40 vs Leben RS28
« on: 16 Jul 2020, 07:57 pm »
I love the looks of the Leben Unit.  There is a Luxman cl40 on EBay that I also love the looks of.  I know the Lebens are quite well regarded. Anyone know anything about the Luxman cl40 and how it would compare?  I’d be powering spatial m3 triode masters through odyssey mono blocks.  Haven’t listened to either but I usually have to purchase blind but I Try to buy gear that is likely to Keep its value.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Luxman CL 40 vs Leben RS28
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2020, 10:11 pm »
I love the looks of the Leben Unit.  There is a Luxman cl40 on EBay that I also love the looks of.  I know the Lebens are quite well regarded. Anyone know anything about the Luxman cl40 and how it would compare?  I’d be powering spatial m3 triode masters through odyssey mono blocks.  Haven’t listened to either but I usually have to purchase blind but I Try to buy gear that is likely to Keep its value.
I would like to offer a opinion as tube lover but you posted any info or link.

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2020, 04:33 am »
Is it this one?

Pretty intriguing and just pretty.  Here is a link to the Vintage Knob page.  Plus it has had a cap replacement, another plus.  Bit of a bummer it is a 100V version.

I owned a CL-35 MkIII for a short while had to move it on in a major relocation many moons ago.  Mine was not recapped and had original tubes.  To my ears it was on the warm and creamy side of SQ, similar to the old Mac preamps.  This may be an entirely different animal.  Know nothing about the Leben other than obviously it uses modern parts and would likely be the better sounding unit.

Mere tuppence.
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2020, 04:05 pm by JakeJ »

VonHess

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2020, 12:47 pm »
Yes that’s the one.