Bugle Resistor

Adinoto

Bugle Resistor
« on: 11 Feb 2005, 12:07 pm »
Hi,
I'm ready to build my bugle and about to order resistors.
Which resistors are in direct path and criticaly effecting the sound and which are need to be precision (for the RIAA)? I plan to buy better resistor for those critical position.

Thanks
Had

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Bugle Resistor
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2005, 02:57 pm »
Quote from: Adinoto
Hi,
I'm ready to build my bugle and about to order resistors.
Which resistors are in direct path and criticaly effecting the sound and which are need to be precision (for the RIAA)? I plan to buy better resistor for those critical position.

Thanks
Had

greast question!   :)   i yust won this on ebay, & i'm gonna get riken-ohm resistors to change the gain from 40db to 60db. i may as well swap out any other resistors that are in the direct signal path.  i am also planning on installing li'l sockets so i can swap out the resistors for future gain changes w/o having to re-solder...  direct from jim hagerman: "DigiKey sells #ED5036 that fit."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5747949611

doug s.

hagtech

Bugle Resistor
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2005, 11:41 pm »
All of the resistors are in the signal path!  Only the 1k ohms are not that critical.  Stock resistors are quality 1% metal films.  Only specialty audiophile types would be an upgrade.

jh :)

ohenry

Bugle Resistor
« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2005, 11:42 pm »
Edit: He responded when I was composing.  Sorry to all.

I'm a little curious as well.  I can't speak for Jim, but in July he wrote:

Really, there's not much you can do with the standard Bugle to improve it. Aside from a chassis and better connectors, the only improvement would be with C3, C2, C1 locations, and the recommended parta are really quite good. Or you can change opamps. Some people like the OPA2604. You could lose the sockets too.

He didn't address the resistors, but his post implies that maybe there's not much to be gained to tweak beyond the opamps and C-1,2 & 3.  But of course, this quote may be out of context here and that was a while back.