Eminence 12CX and Dayton DT250P CD's

Drummerboy2

Eminence 12CX and Dayton DT250P CD's
« on: 11 Jan 2018, 12:31 am »
Hi All, I just wanted to share my experience from yesterday when I helped my cousin get his speakers back up and running again. I told him I would make his new speaker set a Coaxial speaker.
I had a pair Dayton DT250P screw on CD's already for a project and ordered the Eminence Beta CX12's along with Eminence PXB2:2K5CX 2-Way Speaker Crossover Board 2,500 Hz. I would have gone lower in the Xover point but when I used the Dayton's before it was at 1.5khz and it would have some weird sounds when pushed so I decided to try a highr Xover point with the Dayton's and it worked out well. I had used the D250 bolt on a while back and it was pretty nice and smooth sounding so I wanted to try it with CX12's.

After I installed all the drivers and new Xovers, we fired up the system. The system used was a Kenwood KA-7100 integrated amp and TEAC CD player. At fist the speakers sounded congested as is to be expect for new drivers and xovers. I redid all his internal wiring with CAT 5 two pairs twisted with drill. After an hour of letting the system play and us having some brews, we came back into the room and the system started to sound really nice and opening up. After 3 hours, it was even better but still no where near the final sound. But just after 4 hours this system didn't have a hint of harshness to it.
I was actually shocked a how well it was coming along. I didn't think this would sound this good this early on. I know it will need another 100hrs to sound it's best but so far I am amazed at the sound quality and clarity this Coax/CD's have. We played everything from Cold Blood/TOP to Four Play To Randy Brecker to Steve Ray Vaughn to Motown. This really sounds nice on slower music too with strings, horns and vocals at this point. Can only imaging the sound after 50 to 70 hours.

The room size was about 14X12 maybe slightly smaller so this may be a good size for this type of speaker/room combo.
Just wanted to share what I did and hopefully this with help someone looking into Coaxial speaker CD's combos.