amp comparisons

lazydays

amp comparisons
« on: 22 Nov 2021, 09:55 pm »
thinking about down sizing my system. Right now I use Stratos mono blocs, and have gave the smaller Khartago mono blocs a serious consideration. At the sametime I'm going to smaller and more efficient speakers along with a DAC/Streamer setup. The Stratos monos seem to take up a lot of space due to their size and of course weight.

In the past I've ran 35 watt tube amps with little problems, and even as low as eight watt amps. Has anyone here directly compared the two amps that Odyssey offers?
gary

Chewbacca

Re: amp comparisons
« Reply #1 on: 23 Nov 2021, 04:45 am »
Basically, the way that I know it, Odyssey amps are only judged by their internals for performance. What board, caps, transformer, wiring, some new updates to boards etc.

For instance, I have Khartago cases, Kismet board and board caps, standard outboard caps, WBT rca, etc.

So if you wanted to know what Khartagos sound like, turn on your stratos and take a listen! :thumb:

Oh, and BTW, I’ve been wanting some Stratos cases, in addition to soon doing upgrades to my amps. If we sent our amps in at the same time, Klaus could swap internals, I pay you a few bucks, wam bam - everyone’s happy :icon_lol:

lazydays

« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2021, 08:27 am »
Basically, the way that I know it, Odyssey amps are only judged by their internals for performance. What board, caps, transformer, wiring, some new updates to boards etc.

For instance, I have Khartago cases, Kismet board and board caps, standard outboard caps, WBT rca, etc.

So if you wanted to know what Khartagos sound like, turn on your stratos and take a listen! :thumb:

Oh, and BTW, I’ve been wanting some Stratos cases, in addition to soon doing upgrades to my amps. If we sent our amps in at the same time, Klaus could swap internals, I pay you a few bucks, wam bam - everyone’s happy :icon_lol:

not all Stratos amps sound the same. I had the standard versions and had them up graded during a tune up. Later Klauss did the so called "glass ceiling mod" to them. Huge difference from the upgraded pair. Very tube like in sound, but much faster. You will have a rough time over driving them. The only amps I've heard that I'd go after were Conrad Johnson ST140 mono blocs. Yet these are still stronger with much more head room.

What we need is a good 40 watt amp with six to nine db. head room. Perhaps having the first twenty watts in class A.
gary

Chewbacca

« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2021, 03:49 pm »
Understood, not all Stratos amps sound the same. That was basically my point, not all Khartagos sound the same either. Most likely that "Glass Ceiling" mod could be done with a Khartago as well, and all your internals made to fit inside one of those cases - even the Kismet cases. The cases you choose for the amps don't directly impact the sound (obviously), and the internals are basically ala carte. There's a few things you can do with a Statos case that you can't do with a Khartago, dual mono is one that comes to mind.