Captain Humble

2005 RMAF
« Reply #60 on: 5 Oct 2005, 06:10 am »
Thanks for the plug Chris.  The $5 is in the mail. :mrgreen:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
2005 RMAF
« Reply #61 on: 5 Oct 2005, 10:27 am »
BTW, any guess as too what percentage of rooms were running off PC, iPods, and the like?

BradJudy

2005 RMAF
« Reply #62 on: 5 Oct 2005, 12:58 pm »
Quote from: JLM
BTW, any guess as too what percentage of rooms were running off PC, iPods, and the like?

There were a few, but the minority.  Perhaps 10-15%.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
2005 RMAF
« Reply #63 on: 5 Oct 2005, 01:15 pm »
Quote from: JLM

Very small percentage.

I saw way more vinyl than PC/iPod.

George

byteme

2005 RMAF
« Reply #64 on: 5 Oct 2005, 01:54 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Oh, that's right! In fact, I am going to go visit CH's restaurant next week. I am looking forward to that!
    Yep...that would be Dodie's Seafood Cafe II in Carrollton, TX. One of these days I hope to make it there as well. The reviews I've read sound pretty darn good...enjoy it !!!! :thankyou: [/list:u]

I've been there twice now on visits to ACS in Dallas.  It was about 1/2 hour away from where I typically stay, but well worth the trip.  DO NOT MISS the Oysters Dodie - damn, they are something else.  The raw oysters as well rank as the best I've had - hopefully the trouble in the gulf won't preclude Jeff from getting hold of them!  Everything I've had there has been good, including the ice cold Miller Lite!!  Trouble for me was I wanted to try so many things on the menu but portion size is generous and my eyes were typically bigger than my stomach.

OK, now back on topic, sorry for the diversion!

Bemopti123

2005 RMAF
« Reply #65 on: 5 Oct 2005, 02:59 pm »
Anyone care to comment if they have heard the Exemplar room, in particular the horns?  There is got to be someone who did.

dwk

2005 RMAF
« Reply #66 on: 5 Oct 2005, 03:16 pm »
Quote from: Bemopti123
Anyone care to comment if they have heard the Exemplar room, in particular the horns?  There is got to be someone who did.

I didn't hear them this year, but heard them last year and was specifically focused on the speakers. I didn't get to spend as much time as I would have liked, but I thought they sounded excellent. Not 'horny' at all - mellow, deep. rich, but articulate and didn't seem to gloss over detail.  I don't remember the details on front-end; I think that Galibier was in the same room, and the digital front-end would presumably be the modded Denon, but I don't remember the amps.
 I was specifically looking at 'high efficiency' speakers last year at RMAF, and the Exemplars, the Edgars and the big Tannoys were my favorites of the ones I heard.

BradJudy

2005 RMAF
« Reply #67 on: 5 Oct 2005, 03:23 pm »
Lee, no worries.  The problem with a show that big is that there just isn't time to see everything unless you don't stop to listen or talk, which would make for a boring show.  :)  I made it to more than half the rooms this year (I think) in the ~10 hours I spent at the show.

Bemopti123

2005 RMAF
« Reply #68 on: 5 Oct 2005, 03:36 pm »
See above.  Repeated posts due to DSL modem failure.

dwk

2005 RMAF
« Reply #69 on: 5 Oct 2005, 05:00 pm »
Quote from: Bemopti123
Did ANYONE care to comment about the Exemplar room, especially on the sound of the Horns, if they happen to have visited.  Thanks a bunch.

Um, what's with the impatience? Two desperate pleas for information separated by 37 minutes on a board that typically only gets a few posts an hour?  Maybe you should chill out and give it some time.

Sorry my experience from last year is useless to you.

Bemopti123

2005 RMAF
« Reply #70 on: 5 Oct 2005, 07:43 pm »
Dwk, my DSL line is acting up, so whenever I thought I had posted something, the modem would fail.  So, it was not until your post I realized that the supposedly lost "pleas" had been posted.

Thanks for the info DWK.  Are those horns as big as they seem or is it an optical effect?

tianguis

2005 RMAF
« Reply #71 on: 6 Oct 2005, 05:59 pm »
Paul:
       The Exemplars were in my bud's (Thom Mackris) Galibier room. They're his personal speaks. Yes, they are huge. Yes, they sound like horns. Yes, they sounded great (almost disappeared), although slightly hot on top. I think they'd benefit from some X-O work. Thom may be tackling that with John Tucker.

Regards,
Larry Welsh

BradJudy

2005 RMAF
« Reply #72 on: 7 Oct 2005, 03:11 am »

Music Maven

2005 RMAF
« Reply #73 on: 7 Oct 2005, 04:56 am »
I wish I could have attended!

Did anyone spot a great-sounding pair of conventional tower speakers, selling for less than $2500?

Jerry

Pez

2005 RMAF
« Reply #74 on: 8 Oct 2005, 04:25 am »
Just my two cents on the fest.  I wasn't able to see 99.9% of the vendors there.  In a word it was "bloated"  I really wish I could have seen a lot more, but there was just soooooo much that I didn't even know where to start. I only had about 3 hours and to be cut-throat honest most of what I heard was down right aweful.  

.The highlights were Klaus's kick ass on wall picture speakers. Honestly I'm so out of the loop I hadn't even heard of them and I thought they were just another one of Klaus's frufru potporri-flowery-pillar type things he puts in the room for added class, but they were excellent sounding and very nice looking as well. --- Hey Klaus can I get the pictures with you on it striking a pose???  :thankyou:

The other highlight was the wonderfull surround sound demo from Kimber Kables.  By far the most refined sound that I heard that day.  Honestly that should speak enough for itself --- I know what you're thinking,"Refined" sound at an audio show?, not something I would use normally to discribe sound from any audio show, but it's true. Of course as always Ray Kimber was so fun to talk to.  The guy has a true passion for what he does and a deep wisdom of sound capture/reproduction.

Anyway that's all yer gettin' from me. Anything else anyone claims I said is a dirty lie and they need to have their filthy mouth washed out with soap.  

One last thing before you leave, go here and get yer self a free Ipod http://ipodnanos.freepay.com/?r=22805012

audioengr

2005 RMAF
« Reply #75 on: 9 Oct 2005, 12:20 am »
Quote from: BradJudy
My third page is up:

http://www.bradjudy.com/audioblog/rmaf3/

Brad - nice coverage.  Did you get to hear Ron Wellbornes room?  I thought his was one of the best at the show.  I took my own reference recording to several rooms to compare.  I thought Kara Chaffees DeHavilland room was great as well.

Steve N.

tianguis

2005 RMAF
« Reply #76 on: 9 Oct 2005, 01:03 am »
Steve:

Gotta agree about Ron's and Kara's rooms. Nothing spectacular or mind-grabbing, but making music is supposed to be the goal.

Regards,
Larry Welsh

BradJudy

2005 RMAF
« Reply #77 on: 9 Oct 2005, 02:26 am »
Quote from: audioengr

Brad - nice coverage.  Did you get to hear Ron Wellbornes room?  I thought his was one of the best at the show.  I took my own reference recording to several rooms to compare.  I thought Kara Chaffees DeHavilland room was great as well.

Thanks Steve.  Unfortunately, I didn't hear either of those rooms.  Since Ron is local, perhaps I'll be able to hear his setup sometime (assuming he was showing a setup that he uses himself).  

The show is almost too big.  I think it would take a minimum of two full days to see all of it if you actually listened to at least one full song in each room.  Longer if you actually wanted to talk to people.  I tried to hit some specific rooms, but more were suggested and curiosity got the better of me on others.  :)

I still have at least one more page to write up.  Those three pages pretty much cover my Saturday though.

audioengr

2005 RMAF
« Reply #78 on: 9 Oct 2005, 04:22 am »
Quote from: BradJudy
Thanks Steve.  Unfortunately, I didn't hear either of those rooms.  Since Ron is local, perhaps I'll be able to hear his setup sometime (assuming he was showing a setup that he uses himself).  

The show is almost too big.  I think it would take a minimum of two full days to see all of it if you actually listened to at least one full song in each room.  Longer if you actually wanted to talk to people.  I tried to hit some specific rooms, but more were suggested and curiosity got the better of me on others ...

Louisville?  You know I worked for StorageTek for almost 10 years.  I was raised in north Denver.

Steve N.

BradJudy

2005 RMAF
« Reply #79 on: 9 Oct 2005, 04:51 am »
Quote from: audioengr
Louisville?  You know I worked for StorageTek for almost 10 years.  I was raised in north Denver.

Yep, we've been in Louisville for about 4 years, Boulder before that.  I have been past StorageTek many times.  You probably wouldn't recognize the area around there anymore.  It has been changing a lot in the past few years.