A/V vs X series - What's the difference?

birkbott

A/V vs X series - What's the difference?
« on: 14 Nov 2019, 06:52 pm »
I'm sure this has been discussed here before but I'm wondering what the difference is between the A/V and the X series? (I'm not able to search this sub for some reason)

I'm particularly interested in the X-LS Encore vs the AV-1. They seem similar in size and specs

I'm also wondering if anyone has tried perching either of these models atop sealed servo subs in stereo and what the result was. This would be for a medium sized living room type situation.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: A/V vs X series - What's the difference?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2019, 04:02 pm »
I can't speak to the servo sub question, but I think the primary difference between those two models is the tweeter. I have heard both, but never in the same room at the same time.

Some of the X series that started as GR Research designed products for the now defunct AV123 and were given a second wind via Danny.  I may be biased, but for the tweeter in X-LS is the same as X-Otica, which speaks to it's abilities pretty well, methinks.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2019, 04:15 pm »
Also, the AV-1 uses the M-130 woofer while the x-ls uses the slightly larger M-165.  I personally think the M-130 is smoother, but the M-165 reaches down just a bit more....  which would not really be relevant if you are using a sub.  As far as the tweeter, I think the X-LS is more detailed.   
Smooth and musical--- maybe the AV-1
Slightly extended range and better detail-- probably the X-LS
But, I'd simply call Danny and ask.  He'll give you a straight answer. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2019, 04:23 pm »
I wouldn’t put either speaker on top of the sub. Put the speakers on stands then put the sub where you get the best bass response at the listening position

Mike

gab

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2019, 07:06 pm »

I'm also wondering if anyone has tried perching either of these models atop sealed servo subs in stereo and what the result was. This would be for a medium sized living room type situation.

"Even with the W-frame much mechanical vibration was coupled to the midrange/tweeter baffle when it was placed directly upon the woofer baffle. Therefore a bridge is placed over the V-frame woofer, which detaches the woofer from the midrange/tweeter baffle."

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2019, 07:21 pm »

"Even with the W-frame much mechanical vibration was coupled to the midrange/tweeter baffle when it was placed directly upon the woofer baffle. Therefore a bridge is placed over the V-frame woofer, which detaches the woofer from the midrange/tweeter baffle."

Oh that is SMART.