NX Studio Floorstanding?

atadams77

NX Studio Floorstanding?
« on: 8 Feb 2023, 03:49 pm »
Any chance of GR to build or provide a floor standing model of the NX studio? perhaps one with more lower drivers?

Danny Richie

Re: NX Studio Floorstanding?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2023, 06:33 pm »
We actually have a lower cabinet on hand that houses two M-165/16 woofers. It was to be used with the current version (upper section) and turning it into a three way design. If this works out then we could offer a complete cabinet for it as a three way design and three way kit.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2023, 07:36 pm »
This is something I have really been wanting.  :popcorn:

I am currently saving up the funds for something like this. I am looking at the Rythmik FM8 Direct Servo bass and midbass subwoofer but would rather get a matching GRR designed for the NX Studio bass module. I was hoping for something with the new 8" drivers but this would work me.:D

I Would Probably Have the funds by May so hopefully it would be ready by then :thumb:

Anyway keep the new products rolling in.

Thanks Danny

Wayne in Oregon

mkrawcz

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2023, 11:27 pm »
We actually have a lower cabinet on hand that houses two M-165/16 woofers. It was to be used with the current version (upper section) and turning it into a three way design. If this works out then we could offer a complete cabinet for it as a three way design and three way kit.
Yes please!

DJB

« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2023, 12:28 am »
i would be interested in floor standing version
planning nx studio build

Fltguy

« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2023, 02:06 am »
I completed my NX Studios a year ago. The project and the resulting sounds are absolutely amazing. I am ready for a floor standing version.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2023, 02:31 am »
Here's a concept drawing of an idea I half explored a few years ago. I think Danny still has the prototype.

nrenter

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2023, 03:13 am »
I think this speaker (both the top and the bass cabinet) would be extra sexy as a stacked trans-lam design, inspired by this thread:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/translam-cabinets.349408/

Expensive? Heavy? Yup. I’m just here to watch.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 9 Feb 2023, 05:20 am »
Here's a concept drawing of an idea I half explored a few years ago. I think Danny still has the prototype.

Sure do, they're currently upstairs in the shop.
I remember seeing them when I came to visit Danny for the first time back in October 2020.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #9 on: 9 Feb 2023, 09:07 am »
A small cabinet speaker like that for some authority under 250hz or so would be exactly what I've been hoping for. It'd give the lower end a helping hand with quality bass, but be space conscious for those rooms who can't do OB sub stacks. Wouldn't be surprised if you could do away with subs completely in a smaller room, too. :popcorn:

Beerbellydad

« Reply #10 on: 9 Feb 2023, 03:51 pm »

I love this modular concept so much.  :thumb: Might it be possible for current Studio owners to get the bottom as a "floor-standing expansion kit?" I have some Studios and would totally build these bottom portions boxes, especially if it took minimal (or no) crossover modification to the original Studio.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #11 on: 9 Feb 2023, 04:26 pm »
The original concept was centered around a modular waveguide for the Neo-3 and the bass cabinet to be powered by a plate amp with adjustability similar to open baffle amps. It seemed like a natural.
Alas, my strengths lie in woodworking and imagination, hence I needed an acoustic design partner to see it through. For a variety of reasons, the project was stillborn but perhaps it will catch some steam in another iteration.

mkrawcz

« Reply #12 on: 9 Feb 2023, 05:21 pm »
To me a true 3 way floorstanding version of the Studios with that open top tweeter is the most versatile speaker if it will work. You get most of the open baffle goodness, near full range sound, and can be placed just about anywhere in the room.

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 9 Feb 2023, 06:05 pm »
The crossover to the NQ woofer is going to require a big cap to filter out the lows. Adding it may or may not require changes to the rest of it.

Using an inline filter before the amplifier is a great way to handle it for current NX Studio Monitors.

You can then power the lower woofers with a subwoofer plate amp to add a LOT of flexibility.

2bigears

« Reply #14 on: 9 Feb 2023, 06:49 pm »
 :D for my small room,, I'll take a set !   :D

fre11111

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2023, 12:01 am »
This Idea is perfect for people like me who cant put a Sub because of wife reasons😂. A good Idea too is to make the bottom part modular so people who have the Studio can convert to this if they want too. I approached Hobbs about this and they said that they were already looking into it.

Jdstrong

« Reply #16 on: 3 Mar 2024, 04:29 am »
Hi folks.  I’m planning my next project. I found this old thread.

I think NX Studios would be my first choice. But due to space constraints and my significant other’s aesthetic criteria, a full range floorstander would be preferred. 

Danny and Hobbs, is this a design we might look forward to?

Alternatively, would there be anything wrong with building a tall version of the NX Studio?  One option might be with an empty bottom….kind of an integrated stand. Or maybe build in an integrated side firing servo sub?

Thanks

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #17 on: 3 Mar 2024, 02:32 pm »
Have a look at the "Best Speaker Stand Ever" that Hobbs and others use.  I think these are actually open in the back.  There is a thread about them with discussion, but the links to the pictures are broken. I would think you can get the plans for this from Danny & Hobbs.

See here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129161.0

See here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=176707.0

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 3 Mar 2024, 05:45 pm »
The only problem with these stands at the moment is that they use the 8" open baffle servo subs which are currently unavailable. Another option, which is shown in the top picture,  is to use two 12" open baffle servo subs in the stands like I did with this pair for under the Wedgies

The wedge shape was done to match the footprint of the Wedgie. You would want to widen the front to match the rear for use as stands for the Studio Monitor. This style stand, with the closed front, gives up some performance compared to the H-frame but since it doesn't radiate like a true open baffle, can be placed closer to the wall.

Mike

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #19 on: 3 Mar 2024, 06:49 pm »
This style stand, with the closed front, gives up some performance compared to the H-frame but since it doesn't radiate like a true open baffle, can be placed closer to the wall.

Hey Mike,
I know you've discussed it somewhere in the past but what is the performance difference between real H frame and these wedgie style closed front stands? Do those attributes also apply to the 8in version as well or does the smaller driver handle that shape differently?