What was your first set of speakers?

charmerci

Re: What was your first set of speakers?
« Reply #80 on: 15 Sep 2011, 08:29 pm »
First real speakers were the Speakerlab K-Horns that I bought the plans for and built the cabinets in 1975. I used a pair of alnico Electrovoice T-350s instead of the smaller T-35s.

Wow. I forgot all about those speakers. How do/did they sound? They were interesting to me because my brother and I were really into the Klipschorns.

rab1234

« Reply #81 on: 15 Sep 2011, 09:02 pm »
A pair of Ohm bookshelves and a home made set. 3 cu/ft enclosure ported with a board that slid in a groove at the bottom so there was about a 2" internal opening in the back and a <2" external opening in the front. Radio shack crossovers, woofer and tweeter and mid-range from Holland (don't remember how we got that). A guy that used to work assembly for Cerwin Vega had the idea. 1979.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #82 on: 15 Sep 2011, 09:09 pm »
Radio Shack Realistic Optimus 1's...$79.95 each.
2 way, 10" acoustic sealed system...

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #83 on: 16 Sep 2011, 03:57 am »
Altec VOT bass bins with JBL 2220 drivers, Bose 800 road cases crossed at 800hz with a JBL Electronic crossover, in glorious MONO for a PA setup.   

TerryO

« Reply #84 on: 17 Sep 2011, 01:01 am »
Wow. I forgot all about those speakers. How do/did they sound? They were interesting to me because my brother and I were really into the Klipschorns.

It's been awhile, but I loved them. Tremendous dynamics, good octave to octave balance and very low distorsion. The EV-350 tweeter was an excellent upgrade and gave very smooth, as well as extended highs, far better than the EV T-35, which was a disappointment by comparison.

The only thing that I could have wished for was a bit better phase alignment between the Bass horn and the mid. With today's digital delays, I suppose it would be possible,  but they weren't available back then.

Best Regards,
TerryO
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2011, 04:34 am by TerryO »

ckimmelshue

« Reply #85 on: 21 Sep 2011, 12:24 am »
Polk Audio S8s.  I mowed a lot of lawns that summer ...

frank111

« Reply #86 on: 25 Sep 2011, 05:27 pm »
 In 1977 I bought a Realistic Modulette 8 (am/fm 8-track stereo) with a pair of Genuine Vinyl Walnut Grain speakers HA!, & a BSR turntable. Gosh those were the days ! Last summer my parents gave the system back to me in mint condition as they had stored it in the attic after i bought another system the following year. Its now proudly displayed in my den.

orthobiz

« Reply #87 on: 25 Sep 2011, 05:42 pm »
Big Julie's special speakers, from Hempstead, Long Island.

3 way with a 12" woofer, apparently in a vinyl version of the Large Advent cabinet. They looked cool. Replaced them with little tiny Heco speakers and then ADS 710's and finally DQ-10's that I have until this day.

That's my whole life in a nutshell.

Paul

madog99

« Reply #88 on: 25 Sep 2011, 09:57 pm »
In 1977 I bought a Realistic Modulette 8 (am/fm 8-track stereo) with a pair of Genuine Vinyl Walnut Grain speakers HA!, & a BSR turntable. Gosh those were the days ! Last summer my parents gave the system back to me in mint condition as they had stored it in the attic after i bought another system the following year. Its now proudly displayed in my den.

Wow , must have the same year for me , bought I could only afford the Webcor am/fm 8 track model , your RS was a big step up from mine I bet ! Man I loved that thing though .Also had the Stand alone BSR changer with ceramic cartridge :) But my first pair of speakers were a set I sort of built , Marsland Linear 8's , came mounted on a baffle board pre wired . All you had to do was build the box to fit the baffle board .I was in heaven when I hooked those up for the first time  :)

Chuckdog2005

« Reply #89 on: 1 Oct 2011, 02:09 pm »
JBL L40's that I purchased @ Dirty Dons Discount Audio in Buckhead (Atlanta).
I think it was in '77. I paired them with a Pioneer SX 650 35 wpc receiver, Marantz 6100 TT, and a TEAC A170S top load cassette deck. I can still see those woofers dancing as they sat on a pair of bar stools that I still use in my garage. I traded speakers the way others changed their socks back then. Marriage, Children, "Reality" changed all that!

I found this

great picture of some in an ad.

gregg.irwin

« Reply #90 on: 15 Oct 2011, 03:56 am »
Not counting the family stereos, I believe they were minimus 7s, to go with a Technics receiver I got for graduation. My first *real* set of speakers was an M&K sat/sub system. Ah, memories.