Speaker recommendation for Hardrock , Progressive Rock music

Quiet Earth

Re: Speaker recommendation for Hardrock , Progressive Rock music
« Reply #60 on: 13 Apr 2011, 04:26 pm »
Why would "realistic levels" apply to rock any more than any other genre? 

I don't think it does Stu, but the thread title is "Speaker recommendation for  Hardrock".

BTW, I do wonder why they take so long to sound check at a live show .............. why do I need ear plugs to avoid pain? I think they sound check and then turn it up from there out of insecurity. (just a guess)

I don't need the plugs at a symphony orchestra or similar events.

I agree with you on the PA speaker comment.  :thumb:

Quiet Earth

« Reply #61 on: 13 Apr 2011, 04:28 pm »
real sounds have transients and "oomph"

All sounds are real.  :wink:

JohnR

« Reply #62 on: 13 Apr 2011, 04:31 pm »
Even the voices in my head?  :lol:

Quiet Earth

« Reply #63 on: 13 Apr 2011, 04:31 pm »
Especially those.  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #64 on: 13 Apr 2011, 04:36 pm »

Depends on how much you respect your gear. If you have a really nice front end the skies the limit.

I would stay away from tall narrow floor standers that are cabinet beveled to reduce resonate freq. Look for a boxy speaker with a big subwoofer. Ask Mcl ound he will steer you he posted pics on here. He has great gear and loves you music genre.

JoshK

« Reply #65 on: 13 Apr 2011, 05:17 pm »
I don't listen to hardrock/metal at 95db average, I listen in the 80's but I big part of realistic perception is the visceral impact that centers in the 40-80hz kick range. 

Rclark

« Reply #66 on: 13 Apr 2011, 05:27 pm »

Your eloquence aside, for a large venue it's a fair statement.

I modified my post to explain why I called out your comment.

nathanm

« Reply #67 on: 13 Apr 2011, 05:28 pm »
I've been running these in my living room for a couple months now.  Aside from the great sound, they have also helped me develop a new relationship with my neighbors as well as the local constabulary.

werd

« Reply #68 on: 13 Apr 2011, 05:40 pm »
^^^^^ he isn't lookin for bookshelfs

Here is a nice pair of speakers that work really good with your music taste. They are no longer in production but they can be had pretty cheap on the used market.

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/mirage_om5.htm

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #69 on: 13 Apr 2011, 06:37 pm »
I recently got a Kinetic Fluid bike trainer and I have the bike set up in the sweet spot in my room.  When you are cranking that pedal and getting your heart rate up, smooth jazz, crooning or sappy arias just don't work.  Holographic soundstage, liquid mid-range and airy treble don't do anything.  What gets you going is the thumping bass and primal screams to get you to pump your legs faster and faster....

Being true to my generation, I was cranking some choice "tunes" from AC/DC, Quiet Riot, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Def Leppard, and Nirvana.  I am sure it was over 95 dB.  It's the butt kicking, driving bass from my 4 subs that did the trick.  My legs were like noodles after I got off the bike and I was soaked with sweat.  Great workout.   

You need to do bass well for Hardrock.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #70 on: 13 Apr 2011, 07:09 pm »
I've been running these in my living room for a couple months now.  Aside from the great sound, they have also helped me develop a new relationship with my neighbors as well as the local constabulary.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #71 on: 13 Apr 2011, 07:22 pm »
I recently got a Kinetic Fluid bike trainer and I have the bike set up in the sweet spot in my room.  When you are cranking that pedal and getting your heart rate up, smooth jazz, crooning or sappy arias just don't work.  Holographic soundstage, liquid mid-range and airy treble don't do anything.  What gets you going is the thumping bass and primal screams to get you to pump your legs faster and faster....

Being true to my generation, I was cranking some choice "tunes" from AC/DC, Quiet Riot, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Def Leppard, and Nirvana.  I am sure it was over 95 dB.  It's the butt kicking, driving bass from my 4 subs that did the trick.  My legs were like noodles after I got off the bike and I was soaked with sweat.  Great workout.   

You need to do bass well for Hardrock.
c'mon, rim, you know you would keep those subs, even if you only listened to the opera you love so much!   :wink:  the fact is, (imo, of course - "my" fact?), that a true full-range system, capable of uncompressed undistorted high output, prowides a needed foundation for most all recorded music, not yust hard rock.

doug s.

putz

« Reply #72 on: 13 Apr 2011, 07:48 pm »

Where did you get those ceiling mounts? I've been looking for a pair of those and can't find them anywhere. Crutchfield doesn't even carry them.

djmckaytx

• Legacy Whispers, Legacy Amps, Grover Cables
« Reply #73 on: 13 Apr 2011, 08:24 pm »
Put Legacy on your list to listen to

I own quite a few Legacy models (Whisper, Focus, Victoria, and Studio) and I recommend them highly.  Assuming you are not going with a sub for what you're proposing to listen to, I would recommend the Focus.  They're also extremely efficient and would sound great with as little as 80w into 4 ohms and up.

For anything other than straight rock, I would recommend the Whisper.  Extremely articulate and detailed.  Good luck and have fun auditioning.  :D

Matty_J

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #74 on: 13 Apr 2011, 09:36 pm »
This is my style of music, and I believe from experience the Aperion Verus Grand tower will not disappoint  :weights:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #75 on: 14 Apr 2011, 03:30 am »
I modified my post to explain why I called out your comment.

Thnx Rclark, appreciated.  Being an old foggy I stopped going to hard rock shows for the same reason Quiet Earth does, I don't want to wear ear plugs when I hear music.  However your point is well taken in that I do go to a lot of popular music concerts in my area that do have very good sound and you don't need ear plugs, the Mann Center for example, so maybe hard rock has progressed. 

Rclark

« Reply #76 on: 14 Apr 2011, 04:11 am »
And I appreciate your not getting too upset. It's just that this notion that rock and metal recordings are nothing but lo-fi AC/DC power chords blasted through a jet engine inside a rock tumbler is an extremely dated one. The genre is just as demanding and nuanced as other types of music.

And I've been to many live rock/metal shows that sounded... better than any stereo I've ever come across. So yes, the technology of the live act has come a long way.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #77 on: 14 Apr 2011, 05:09 am »
I never meant to imply that the sound quality at rock concerts isn't good. Sorry about that. You're right, it's usually very good.

I just meant to say that it is usually too loud. After a couple of songs I put the -10 dB plugs in. I'm trying to limit my exposure to very high sound levels because I noticed a little ringing in my ears from band practice. (Darn those enthusiastic drummers!)

Too much coffee and getting older doesn't help me either.  :cry:

Rclark

« Reply #78 on: 14 Apr 2011, 06:02 am »
oh, my comments were never to you, it was another guy  :)

And I certainly don't mean any harm.

Hey I wear hearing protection too, either that or I stand way in the back. However, I will admit, last November I was at a metal concert, and the band was this new, very heavy, very progressive, you could say "mathematical", sort of metal and they sounded so incredible and so precisely like the album that I stood in awe directly in front of the band without any protection. My ears rang for the rest of the night.

I also enjoy jazz, etc. Last year I began my collection: A Love Supreme, Giant Steps, Some Kind of Blue, etc. I hope my final system build is up to the task of playing that beautifully decadent music too.

2gumby2

« Reply #79 on: 14 Apr 2011, 12:49 pm »
This is my style of music, and I believe from experience the Aperion Verus Grand tower will not disappoint  :weights:
I agree that the Aperion Versus Grand is a very nice speaker. I heard them at RMAF and thought that they were an excellent value.