The New Yamaha NS 5000's are coming out next summer !!

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
Re: The New Yamaha NS 5000's are coming out next summer !!
« Reply #40 on: 8 Sep 2016, 04:11 am »
Mr. Georgopoulos,

you won't make friends with many AudioCircle members
and that includes me.

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #41 on: 8 Sep 2016, 05:48 am »
Russell in the 70s there were lot's of other companies making good speakers,to me mentioning yamaha only means you know less than you think!

welding and just caps don't make good speakers also

So... I am curious, George—what would be some examples of the 'lot's' of other companies' speakers that were of a caliber similar to Yamaha. I'm not saying there weren't, just curious what you consider to be excellent from that time period.

I think it's pretty self-evident that good speaker design goes beyond such refinements as connection technique and cap quality; my point was Yamaha is not hiding shoddy crossovers as was implied earlier in the thread. Driver design has to be the most significant of the many variables, in my book and Yamaha was close to the lead at that time—so much so that many consider the beryllium mid dome not to be significantly bettered yet by any mid driver, after 42 years. Even Yamaha in speaking of their new drivers in the NS-5000 claim only an incremental improvement over the beryllium drivers from those years.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #42 on: 8 Sep 2016, 06:18 am »
So... I am curious, George—what would be some examples of the 'lot's' of other companies' speakers that were of a caliber similar to Yamaha. I'm not saying there weren't, just curious what you consider to be excellent from that time period.

MONITOR an english loudspeaker company
why are you asking? you mean you don't know?
lot's of others that have come and gone
but monitor stands out for me
they did everything drivers,crossovers,cabinets,etc
you can't compare monitor to yamaha
right on the money

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #43 on: 8 Sep 2016, 06:45 am »
right on the money

You made the statement that there were lot's (sic) of other companies making good speakers, so I am asking you to tell me what some of these are, so I can tell where you are coming from.
So far, you have mentioned Monitor. I presume you mean Monitor Audio. Tell me some others to prove your point, then I will tell you what I think were good, if you like.

And, no, I can't compare monitor to Yamaha, certainly not to the speakers this thread is addressing—and particularly Monitor Audio from the 70s. I used to sell Monitor Audio in the early 90s and did not think much of them except they always looked pretty. The one inch faceplate of British speakers, you might say (or I might). Sonically, I preferred even B&W to Monitor Audio, but you could say that was just a matter of taste—and I might agree...

What a grotesque Macaque image.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #44 on: 8 Sep 2016, 07:08 am »
You made the statement that there were lot's (sic) of other companies making good speakers, so I am asking you to tell me what some of these are, so I can tell where you are coming from.
So far, you have mentioned Monitor. I presume you mean Monitor Audio. Tell me some others to prove your point, then I will tell you what I think were good, if you like.

And, no, I can't compare monitor to Yamaha, certainly not to the speakers this thread is addressing—and particularly Monitor Audio from the 70s. I used to sell Monitor Audio in the early 90s and did not think much of them except they always looked pretty. The one inch faceplate of British speakers, you might say (or I might). Sonically, I preferred even B&W to Monitor Audio, but you could say that was just a matter of taste—and I might agree...

What a grotesque Macaque image.

During that era there were lot's of other companies (say small) that were doing very good speakers,sorry i can't recall from memory,but i had auditioned them and they were very good,even monitor i haven't been it touch of them until now,they are still around www.monitoraudio.co.uk,if you want to know perhaps another member may have a better memory than me

Guy 13

« Reply #45 on: 8 Sep 2016, 07:22 am »

I want to thank you Mr. Georgopoulos for sharing with us the most recent picture
of yourself.
Since it seems that you are laughing at me for what I said, by posting a primate,
now it's my turn
and you should take that has humor and not start a third world words war.
Please keep posting, all AudioCircle member's opinion is important when it makes sense.

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #46 on: 8 Sep 2016, 02:49 pm »
all AudioCircle member's opinion is important when it makes sense.

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam.

Soooo, who is the arbiter of what "makes sense?"

roscoeiii

« Reply #47 on: 8 Sep 2016, 02:52 pm »
Soooo, who is the arbiter of what "makes sense?"

What the heck is this "sense" stuff you are talking about?

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #48 on: 8 Sep 2016, 03:39 pm »
All for less than a third of the price of the 803 D.

Did you factor in your labor cost? No !!! Well, figure out your hours to build the cabinets, which look great by the way, and pay yourself minimum wage. Let's see how much more than the B&Ws your speakers cost.

Rocket_Just Having Some Fun_Ronny

restrav

« Reply #49 on: 8 Sep 2016, 04:02 pm »
personally i have been disappointed  by modern yamaha speakers multiple times. never heard the vintage ones

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #50 on: 8 Sep 2016, 04:14 pm »
personally i have been disappointed  by modern yamaha speakers multiple times. never heard the vintage ones
I have heard the original NS-10 Nearfield in the 1990s it would useful to studio, for audio our dealer sells lots of Klipsch Forte.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #51 on: 8 Sep 2016, 06:21 pm »
Russell in the 70s there were lot's of other companies making good speakers,to me mentioning yamaha only means you know less than you think!

welding and just caps don't make good speakers also
right on the money
During that era there were lot's of other companies (say small) that were doing very good speakers,sorry i can't recall from memory,but i had auditioned them and they were very good,even monitor i haven't been it touch of them until now,they are still around www.monitoraudio.co.uk,if you want to know perhaps another member may have a better memory than me

George, I think it really is time you stopped posting on subjects beyond your understanding. It helps no one and you are not serving the cause of helping newcomers progress in their understanding of factors involved in creating good sound in the home. This would mean essentially that you should stop posting in technical threads of any kind.

I look back over your posts in various threads and time after time you put your foot in it, to everyone's frustration.

Do you not see the response to your posts over the years? This is typical: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=143352.20

Enough, already.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #52 on: 8 Sep 2016, 09:55 pm »
Amen to that. I feel sorry for any newer members who may be lead astray or may apply the misinformation in dangerous ways.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #53 on: 8 Sep 2016, 11:02 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_loudspeaker_manufacturers

you tell me which are good,really Russell,keep trolling me i don't care

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #54 on: 8 Sep 2016, 11:40 pm »
... Russell,keep trolling me i don't care

Apparently you don't. I wish you did.

Guy 13

« Reply #55 on: 9 Sep 2016, 01:56 am »

Mr. Georgopoulos,
according to your saying above lots of companies of the era....
Your link to Wikipedia is a list of companies from yesterday, but also from today,
plus it's just a list, it does not prove that all the companies listed make good sounding products...
Just want to say that if you post something make sure it's accurate and provable.

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #56 on: 9 Sep 2016, 06:16 am »
DALI
Dynaudio
Tannoy
Wharfedale
Celestion
Bang & Olufsen
KEF
Mission

these are from the seventies

i await for his comments

srb

« Reply #57 on: 9 Sep 2016, 06:47 am »
DALI ..... these are from the seventies

DALI was founded in 1983 and the first model exported outside of Denmark wasn't until 1990

Guy 13

« Reply #58 on: 9 Sep 2016, 07:08 am »
DALI was founded in 1983 and the first model exported outside of Denmark wasn't until 1990

:thumb:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #59 on: 9 Sep 2016, 10:38 am »
How about we stick to useful and/or interesting discussion about the NS-5000 and let George wander off without us? Maybe he meant Dahlquist. In any case, it's pretty far off topic.