Poll

POLL: Which type of bass is considered better?

Sealed
36 (32.4%)
Vented
11 (9.9%)
Open Baffle
39 (35.1%)
Infinite Baffle
7 (6.3%)
Transmission Line
16 (14.4%)
Horn (and it's varients)
2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Voting closed: 20 Dec 2011, 10:10 pm

POLL: Which type of bass is considered better?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: POLL: Which type of bass is considered better?
« Reply #60 on: 20 Dec 2011, 04:07 am »
You guys should look up pics of BobinStLouis's system. He's running those exact drivers and his system looks awesome.

It doesn't sound too shabby either.  :wink:

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #61 on: 20 Dec 2011, 04:22 am »
Can't vote in a poll that doesn't have a "Varied" choice.
As in a variable bass system, that allows pattern choice, dependent on room and program material.
And yes, such things do exist. :wink:

cheers,

AJ

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #62 on: 20 Dec 2011, 05:45 am »
Can't vote in a poll that doesn't have a "Varied" choice.
As in a variable bass system, that allows pattern choice, dependent on room and program material.
And yes, such things do exist. :wink:

cheers,

AJ

If I promise to drop off a bottle at the next show will you just hush up and vote for OB?   :wink:

And if that won't work can you elaborate on VBS?

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #63 on: 20 Dec 2011, 07:40 am »
If I promise to drop off a bottle at the next show will you just hush up and vote for OB?   :wink:
That would depend on what's in the bottle. Perrier and Newcastle induce differing outcomes.

And if that won't work can you elaborate on VBS?

http://www.stereophile.com/content/soundfield-audio
You saw them, just didn't hear them. :wink:
Let's say I'm listening to Brubek and want superior temporal resolution, want recreation of the plucked strings of the upright bass to decay quickly, as it would live, I don't want maximal excitement of maximum modes, so I opt for dipole mode (monopole below 40hz, where modes are very sparse).
Then I throw on some Tool. I want some visceral "punch" and pressurization (literal), as would be perceived live...coming from a monopole, so I raise the monopole low pass and create mainly a monopole at LF, cardioid above. Pressing buttons remotely of course. :wink:
Cake. Eat.

cheers,

AJ

p.s. got some other similar tricks too, but that is for the commercial forum at a later date.

Rclark

« Reply #64 on: 20 Dec 2011, 09:24 am »
 ... So you think OB subs with a couple sealed subs is the way to go, varying the crossovers between each?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #65 on: 20 Dec 2011, 01:29 pm »
It doesn't sound too shabby either.  :wink:
Thank you.  :D
It's gotten much better over the years since you've hear it last.

Bob

ebag4

« Reply #66 on: 20 Dec 2011, 05:21 pm »
OB bass rules! :thumb:  IB is right there with it, very close, but OB is much more practical in many home based situations.  My guess is that many who are not voting for OB haven't heard it implemented correctly (that will likely stir the pot  :lol:).

Best,
Ed

Æ

« Reply #67 on: 20 Dec 2011, 06:39 pm »
OB bass rules! :thumb:  IB is right there with it, very close, but OB is much more practical in many home based situations.  My guess is that many who are not voting for OB haven't heard it implemented correctly (that will likely stir the pot  :lol:).

Best,
Ed

I think the 6 IB votes should have been lumped with, included in the sealed category.

I've both heard and met Siegfried Linkwitz and his Orion's twice. The only other decent OBs that I've really enjoyed were those built by John Busch.

ebag4

« Reply #68 on: 20 Dec 2011, 07:00 pm »
I think the 6 IB votes should have been lumped with, included in the sealed category.

I've both heard and met Siegfried Linkwitz and his Orion's twice. The only other decent OBs that I've really enjoyed were those built by John Busch.
If anything I would lump the IB in with the OB.  Although they load the room differently from each other I believe the real magic is the fact that they are run in free air, no box constraints.  Since the volume for IB is so large it would behave more like an OB than sealed alignment from a driver loading aspect.

I currently run OB in my 2 channel and IB in my HT.

You need to do yourself a favor and listen to a pair of Danny's V1 or Super V bass sections, you'll be glad you did  :wink:.

Happy holidays!
Ed

roscoeiii

« Reply #69 on: 20 Dec 2011, 07:02 pm »
Readers of this poll should also note that there was a push over in the OB circle to beef up the votes for OB design (though yes it must be said that some OB heads might have missed the poll since it is in the Enclosures Circle).

Instead of focusing on the voting results, I'd recommend focusing on the technical advantages of the different designs, impressions of listeners who have been able to listen to multiple designs (not me, that's for sure), and then remember that it is not just the type of speaker but also the speaker designers' implementations of that type. I doubt that anyone would complain too much about a well-implemented version of any of the designs mentioned (though whose strengths and weaknesses may differ due to the type of design employed).

Æ

« Reply #70 on: 20 Dec 2011, 07:05 pm »
Readers of this poll should also note that there was a push over in the OB circle to beef up the votes for OB design (though yes it must be said that some OB heads might have missed the poll since it is in the Enclosures Circle).

Instead of focusing on the voting results, I'd recommend focusing on the technical advantages of the different designs, impressions of listeners who have been able to listen to multiple designs (not me, that's for sure), and then remember that it is not just the type of speaker but also the speaker designers' implementations of that type. I doubt that anyone would complain too much about a well-implemented version of any of the designs mentioned (though whose strengths and weaknesses may differ due to the type of design employed).

If I had deep pockets, I would buy some OBs, as in big planars. I love electrostatics and ribbons.

Æ

« Reply #71 on: 20 Dec 2011, 07:08 pm »
Statistically, the vote is a tie between Sealed and OB.

roscoeiii

« Reply #72 on: 20 Dec 2011, 07:13 pm »
Statistically, you can't conclude much because of a biased sample of voters.

From the thread titled "Open Baffle Guys........UNITE!!!!" that tries to drum up OB votes:

"it's turned into a bit of a pissing contest, and I'd like to win it."

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=101683.msg1028649;topicseen#new

Æ

« Reply #73 on: 20 Dec 2011, 07:27 pm »

From the thread titled "Open Baffle Guys........UNITE!!!!" that tries to drum up OB votes:

It's not a pissing contest for me, I knew even before I voted that my choice would not win. I didn't vote for the winner or the runner up.

roscoeiii

« Reply #74 on: 20 Dec 2011, 07:36 pm »
Fair enough, but that example was just a way of pointing out that statisticaly not much can be concluded.

Æ

« Reply #75 on: 20 Dec 2011, 08:06 pm »
Fair enough, but that example was just a way of pointing out that statisticaly not much can be concluded.

Bob wanted OB to win, and they did. So, he should give himself a big pat on the back! I'd like to see how he'd implement OB in a car. Ha!

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #76 on: 20 Dec 2011, 08:24 pm »
... So you think...
..I think a variable, not static, adaptable on the fly with music (as I described) bass system is the way to go. :wink:

... OB subs with a couple sealed subs is the way to go, varying the crossovers between each?
Something like that, is a means to accomplish it.

cheers,

AJ

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #77 on: 20 Dec 2011, 08:27 pm »

You seem to think that this poll actually means something. It's really no big deal, trust me. It's a light hearted thing I did because......well.....because I felt like it, and I thought the results would amuse me. You've call me to task on numerous posts about this like you're blowing the whistle on my actions.

There are bigger things in life to worry about, you can let this one rest. Nothing will come of the results. Nobody won anything, nobody lost anything. I was amused which was my goal of the poll. If you'd like, you can start a poll of your own and see how much fun it is.

Chill man....chill.

Bob

Rclark

« Reply #78 on: 20 Dec 2011, 08:37 pm »
Lol

roscoeiii

« Reply #79 on: 20 Dec 2011, 08:50 pm »
Not trying to blow the whistle on anyone. I work on survey data, and so poll bias is an issue I deal with a lot. And really it depends what you want the poll to accomplish for you and other readers. IF your goal is to get something resembling a representative idea of what ACers think of various speaker designs' ability to deliver good bass, then advocating that the members of a certain circle vote will skew these results in a way that won't give a representative idea of AC members' thoughts. Which you may not have anyway, since you ask "Which is considered better?" which could be answered in terms of personal preference or with regards to what other audiophiles or speaker designers generally think is better (rather than "Which do you consider better?"  which doesn't have this ambiguity).

I don't mean to be busting anyone's chops. Just thought it would be a good place to point out important issues surrounding polls in general and their interpretation.

It's all chill over here.