Bryston Manic Moose Interface

zoom25

Re: Bryston Manic Moose Interface
« Reply #120 on: 7 Aug 2020, 10:08 pm »
8) :D I use a 15" Macbook Pro. It sits to the left of me on a table, and I access both music from the BDP-3 and movies from Apple TV with my Macbook Pro. I am thrilled and appreciative to be living in a modern age.

The whole reason I bought the BDP-1 in the first place was to get away from computers in the first place...

gbaby

« Reply #121 on: 7 Aug 2020, 11:43 pm »
The whole reason I bought the BDP-1 in the first place was to get away from computers in the first place...

But at least its better than getting up and putting in a single CD or getting up and putting an album on a turntable. For the BDP, the only thing the computer does is keep us from getting up and selecting the music manually through the BDP. It can be done, but not without great inconvenience. Martin Luther King, Jr. use to say "longevity has its place." I say, computers have its place.  :wink: :) The BDP and digital players in general are a godsend for folks with an extensive CD collection.
« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2020, 01:53 am by gbaby »

gbaby

« Reply #122 on: 8 Aug 2020, 02:04 am »
Zoom, I'm sitting here now listening to a brand new Paul Hardcastle release, Hardcastle 9 through the BDP. Nice! The only regret I have about buying my BDP is that I am buying more music than ever and I import them, store them and never play them. :oops: :oops:

gbaby

« Reply #123 on: 8 Aug 2020, 02:05 am »
Delete

NorthMac

« Reply #124 on: 8 Aug 2020, 02:34 am »
...The more demands you put on a company, the more prices increases. So, I am trying to save the company money so that cost will not increase to the the point we can't afford this stuff.

Just to be clear here:  it is not any of our responsibilities to decide how Bryston or any company spends their funds.  As a long standing firm they invest money into research for new products, most of which presumably hit the market and make Bryston even more money hence were good investments.  The cost of their research, prototypes, etc. is factored into the price of products, otherwise these would lose them money.  We have all paid Bryston's asking price for something, so by definition we feel we get good value.   In this thread, Bryston via James has asked for honest feedback on the interface(s) for their digital products.  What Bryston wants to do with this, including how much they might be prepared to spend on it, is completely their decision.  My guess is that many contributors to this thread would in fact pay a higher price (not guessing how much) for an up to date interface app, but that would be a different topic to this one.  So please, leave costs out of this.

zoom25

« Reply #125 on: 8 Aug 2020, 02:59 am »
I can sympathize with the cost aspect, and it absolutely does matter! However, at the current prices they are already charging, these units should already be coming standard with something decent. It shouldn't be extra. If you're going to sell a full fledged solution, then make sure it meets that requirement in every way. When I originally bought the BDP-1, the features and Manic Moose feature seemed fine for the time. However, no way I would consider a BDP-3 as it comes today with its native MPD/Manic Moose. The only thing driving that purchase would be SQ. If I was just building around Roon, I'd also explore other options, especially those that sound well with Roon.

Or you can be like other manufacturers that are only concerned with the hardware and make it very clear that they don't want to deal with the software side of things. They'll either say use DLNA/UPnP or use the hardware as a Roon Ready endpoint. There are products on the market designed with just Roon in mind for example.

From a price point, I'd be down for that solution as well. Forget MPD and Manic Moose and USBs, just make it network only and have it sound as good as possible as a Roon endpoint.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #126 on: 8 Aug 2020, 10:57 am »
Hi Folks,

I really appreciate all the feedback - even though it can get a little heated at times!

We will certainly look at some of these ideas going forward and I think having different versions of the software (apps plus web based) makes good sense and allows our customers to use the most appropriate interface they require.

james

gbaby

« Reply #127 on: 9 Aug 2020, 08:41 pm »
Hi Folks,

... even though it can get a little heated at times!

james

I'd say more spirited than heated. Anyway, the dialog was all good to me and I learned a lot, and I'm sure others did too. 8) Thanks James for you and your company standing by its customers and product.

WillyP

« Reply #128 on: 18 Aug 2020, 04:03 pm »
Hi Folks,

I really appreciate all the feedback - even though it can get a little heated at times!

We will certainly look at some of these ideas going forward and I think having different versions of the software (apps plus web based) makes good sense and allows our customers to use the most appropriate interface they require.

james

James,

When can we expect a new version of Manic Moose, or perhaps even Nutty Narwhal?

WillyP

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #129 on: 18 Aug 2020, 04:22 pm »
James,

When can we expect a new version of Manic Moose, or perhaps even Nutty Narwhal?

WillyP

Hi Willy

That a Chris question by my sense is it is a while off.

james

beeah

« Reply #130 on: 18 Aug 2020, 05:13 pm »
I do not know if you meant this in jest but if you did not please do not contribute to our forum.

I do not have time for negative people who contribute nothing other than the need to attack others.

Please stay away.

james

I didn't realize the 45th had such devoted followers north of the 49th.

I'll be sure to stay away, both from this forum as well as Bryston products in general (of which I have owned three, and still own one).

Have a nice day.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #131 on: 18 Aug 2020, 05:17 pm »

I'll be sure to stay away, both from this forum as well as Bryston products in general (of which I have owned three, and still own one).

Have a nice day.

GREAT !!!

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #132 on: 18 Aug 2020, 05:19 pm »
Hi Willy

That a Chris question by my sense is it is a while off.

james

Hi Willy

I spoke with Chris and he said he is working on an update today.

Have you been downloading the BETA versions?

james

Timslim18

« Reply #133 on: 18 Aug 2020, 05:59 pm »
Hi Folks,

james

James:

Before this post, I was wondering what your takeaway was after the many views expressed on this topic.

Listening to customers is fundamental to building a successful company. 

Thanks for truly "listening."

Bryston has generated enviable loyalty. You, Chris, Mike, Gary and Stan back up your quality products with customer service second to none.

I look forward to what you will direct Bryston to develop in this ever evolving digital audio world.

With gratitude. 

TS

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #134 on: 18 Aug 2020, 08:53 pm »
Hi

Yes the take -away is I think we need an APP as well as a detailed WEB interface and hopefully satisfy both types of customers.

james

Jozsef

« Reply #135 on: 1 Sep 2020, 01:55 am »
I use MM so obviously I like it a lot. Since you asked, I would appreciate a tree view of the folders rather than simply a back button if this could be incorporated elegantly. Also, in the Default View, it would help new users to have a clear delineation between clickable elements and labels, as the typefaces are not visual clues nor are any others provided.

Tidal and Qobuz, again in the Default View, are a bit of annoying clutter for me since I don't use them. Somebody explained to me that local files sound better than streaming and that seems to be the case so it would be nice to hide those.  :wink:

As an aside, it saddens me to see Manic Moose described as ugly. Insulting other people's taste serves no worthwhile purpose and Chris Rice is a nice guy who does not deserve to have his hard work denigrated. Differences in taste are subjective, although putting on my graphic designer hat, I'd say it looks very nice and I enjoy looking at it and using it.

gbaby

« Reply #136 on: 1 Sep 2020, 01:24 pm »
I use MM so obviously I like it a lot. Since you asked, I would appreciate a tree view of the folders rather than simply a back button if this could be incorporated elegantly. Also, in the Default View, it would help new users to have a clear delineation between clickable elements and labels, as the typefaces are not visual clues nor are any others provided.

Tidal and Qobuz, again in the Default View, are a bit of annoying clutter for me since I don't use them. Somebody explained to me that local files sound better than streaming and that seems to be the case so it would be nice to hide those.  :wink:

As an aside, it saddens me to see Manic Moose described as ugly. Insulting other people's taste serves no worthwhile purpose and Chris Rice is a nice guy who does not deserve to have his hard work denigrated. Differences in taste are subjective, although putting on my graphic designer hat, I'd say it looks very nice and I enjoy looking at it and using it.

I just purchased a Sony 65AG9 OLED television and its black and white interface sprinkled with color reminds me of Manic Moose. Its fine.

Jozsef

« Reply #137 on: 5 Sep 2020, 08:44 am »

Have a nice day.
Oh come on, going to the wall over a misunderstanding serves no useful purpose that I can see. You original post made no mention of who was being insulted and I assumed it was Chris, the creator of MM and soon(ish) NN. We have opinions about politics and love to come here and discuss audio and music instead, in many cases very much to get away from disturbing things in the world and clear our heads, I should imagine. I believe that politics, religion and personal insults are forbidden topics here and should remain so. I know I can use a break from strife. It's up to you to agree or not with this idea.

gbaby

« Reply #138 on: 10 Sep 2020, 01:35 pm »

I agree. Nice post.  8)

GSDaudio

« Reply #139 on: 24 Sep 2020, 01:54 pm »
Hi James,

With respect to   "So, I would like to get feedback from those of you using it as to what you like and what you find troublesome."

I manage local libraries of music so I like the structure of MM
I like the web access to MM since I'm always on my Mac.   Wife uses iPad and safari to access...and uses it.   
I had a BDP-1 for years and it is still supported.   True to Bryston's logo.   I know Nutty Narwhal will not be supported...OK since the BDP-1 had its day.

TROUBLESOME:
I prefer that the MEDIA SERVER screen populated first and not the DASHBOARD.   The more "common" user changes should be accessible in the MEDIA SERVER.   Computer settings and audio don't mix well for me so I avoid the DASHBOARD.
MM looks great when screen maximized on the Mac.   Otherwise there is too much scrolling.  If only MM could scale down accordingly
When a playlist is loaded, recycle songs, and random is selected....I always get the same songs played over again.   Some AI to make a better random experience would be nice.

FYI my comments are based on local file playback (17k songs).   My ISP doesn't allow for a meaningful third party or streaming experience.  (rural 10mps)

Thanks for listening!
Richard