Bryston Manic Moose Interface

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston Manic Moose Interface
« Reply #100 on: 18 Jul 2020, 10:29 am »
I apologize in advance if this is a query that has arisen before but does anyone experience an occasional momentary pause in the sound when using the search function on MM or is it me?

Hi

Do you mean the song you are playing is paused or when you start the song you searched paused?

james

abk456

« Reply #101 on: 20 Jul 2020, 06:19 am »
If music is playing and I enter a search, there is a small gap in the music, as if it can't do the two things at the same time.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #102 on: 20 Jul 2020, 10:42 am »
If music is playing and I enter a search, there is a small gap in the music, as if it can't do the two things at the same time.

OK I will try that myself on my unit.

james

Update - I tried it on mine and no issue.  maybe network related - I will ask Chris if he has any thoughts.

james
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2020, 11:50 am by James Tanner »

Calypte

« Reply #103 on: 23 Jul 2020, 12:16 am »
I've had my issues with Manic Moose, but this isn't one of them -- assuming I understand the question correctly.  I've had problems with the streaming services, specifically iDagio and Qobuz, inserting unwanted pauses between movements of classical works, but Manic Moose hasn't introduced any gratuitous pauses or gaps in any music that I've played through it.

WillyP

« Reply #104 on: 23 Jul 2020, 04:18 am »
Calypte,

How do you use iDAGIO with Manic Moose? With one of the AirPlay options? Or with a computer?

WillyP

Calypte

« Reply #105 on: 29 Jul 2020, 01:30 am »
Ha-ha!  I knew someone would ask that.  Answer: I didn't.  Only Qobuz.

NorthMac

« Reply #106 on: 31 Jul 2020, 02:39 am »
Anyway, BigGeek and I have completely different needs for the software and I am afraid it will not be easy for Bryston to develop an app and a GUI that will satisfy everyone’s needs. I feel that the combination of the two is the way to go.

WillyP

Hi Willy

Interesting thought - maybe there is room for a web and an app version.

james

Just a (few week later) followup to this idea that the two kinds of listeners will not agree on a GUI:  It seems not well understood that the 3rd party apps we are mostly referring to, do not force you to sort using your tags; they also have a Folder browse option that does just what MM does.  So for WillyP, who listens to mostly classical like I do, he could stay in his well organized folder tree as he is doing now, or, with a single touch, see how many albums the Vienna Philharmonic shows up in by hitting Artist sort...which would get better over time as he completed his tagging.  The best apps do not tell you how to explore and play your music... the choice is always yours.  As BigGeek has eloquently explained in his posts, MM is simply not in the same league with respect to this flexibility. 

With competing products to Bryston's digital offerings, their users are not debating whether their provided app is the best solution vs a web interface.  Of course users always want more features, which is a judgement call, however much of the app improvement in other firms stems from the constantly evolving commercial streaming services, not from the core functionality of playing one's own music stored locally. 

enviro119

« Reply #107 on: 2 Aug 2020, 01:13 pm »
My suggestion is have a friendly app. Its the one big negative for me. Love the hardware. Hate the software. Thxs for seeking input.

gbaby

« Reply #108 on: 4 Aug 2020, 07:02 pm »
It is very difficult for me to understand folks disdain with Manic Moose and their continuing comparing it to other interfaces in other apps. Personally, I like the Manic Moose interface. It has your colorful art in the middle, and you can see your colorful art to the right of the middle. There is a soft gray and black to its left showing the compositions, and a sprinkle of blue throughout the interface. I have learned to import two channel DSD from my SACDs so I have ALL my music accessible. I don't do any fancy networking, just USB drives. The most important feature I am looking for in the BDP-2/3 is sound quality, and both have them in spades. I guess folks who are disappointed in the interface would rather look at their screens than listen to music. The only time I care about looking at a screen on either my laptop, phone or iPad is when loading my music. Thats it. I could care less about it looking like the Roon interface, Regalian or whatever other interface. To say that a person would not buy the BDP-3 due to the Manic Moose interface is simply ridiculous. I don't get it.  :duh:

WillyP

« Reply #109 on: 5 Aug 2020, 06:36 pm »
I fully agree with Robert (gbaby): I like the Manic Moose interface a lot.  Manic Moose is much more in use here than Rigelian and it is far better than Logitech Media Software, which was installed on my former server / streamer. Of course, it is not perfect - which software is? - and I have a few suggestions.

1. The toolbars should be visible constantly, for example at the bottom of the screen.

2. My notebook has a 15-inch screen, a few inches too small to work comfortably with Manic Moose. Perhaps it is possible to use the available space a bit more efficiently without making the text too small.

3 When MPD is selected in the settings, Airplay (Shairport-Sync) is not available. You have to uncheck MPD first and then check Shairport-Sync. It would be nice if Airplay would be available all of the time, without the need for switching in a tools menu.

4.The Manic Moose manual is quite good, most (but not all) options are explained. I feel that all options should be explained to the users.

WillyP

gbaby

« Reply #110 on: 6 Aug 2020, 01:40 pm »
Thanks Willie. 8)

OTM

« Reply #111 on: 6 Aug 2020, 06:26 pm »
Willy
Re point 3
- I have always gone under “ playback method” and just one click/ touch on shareport-sync ( dashboard, left side above system and disk information)

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #112 on: 7 Aug 2020, 02:18 am »
It is very difficult for me to understand folks disdain with Manic Moose and their continuing comparing it to other interfaces in other apps. Personally, I like the Manic Moose interface. It has your colorful art in the middle, and you can see your colorful art to the right of the middle. There is a soft gray and black to its left showing the compositions, and a sprinkle of blue throughout the interface. I have learned to import two channel DSD from my SACDs so I have ALL my music accessible. I don't do any fancy networking, just USB drives. The most important feature I am looking for in the BDP-2/3 is sound quality, and both have them in spades. I guess folks who are disappointed in the interface would rather look at their screens than listen to music. The only time I care about looking at a screen on either my laptop, phone or iPad is when loading my music. Thats it. I could care less about it looking like the Roon interface, Regalian or whatever other interface. To say that a person would not buy the BDP-3 due to the Manic Moose interface is simply ridiculous. I don't get it.  :duh:

By all means, Bryston, discontinue any misconceived ideas of software evolution. Mr. GBABY is the arbiter of what true audiophiles require. Any visual, functional or operational changes to MM could only be desired by those for whom music is but a novelty and distraction from a superficially attractive interface. Clearly those of us in the unwashed masses compensate for our lack of acute hearing and inability to truly enjoy music by focusing on trivialities.

I shouldn't wonder that candlestick rotary phones are more than any person could reasonably ask for in telephony - after all, it's the connection that's important isn't it? As long as you can phone and order another block for the icebox, what kind of a sophisticate needs more?

Or here's a novel idea: update MM but allow users to choose whether or not to adopt the newer version or simply do nothing and use what they have? Oh, is that an option? On second thought, no, better not. GBABY doesn't get it, so it must not be a thing. Carry on.

Cheers,
Robert

gbaby

« Reply #113 on: 7 Aug 2020, 01:15 pm »
By all means, Bryston, discontinue any misconceived ideas of software evolution. Mr. GBABY is the arbiter of what true audiophiles require. Any visual, functional or operational changes to MM could only be desired by those for whom music is but a novelty and distraction from a superficially attractive interface. Clearly those of us in the unwashed masses compensate for our lack of acute hearing and inability to truly enjoy music by focusing on trivialities.

I shouldn't wonder that candlestick rotary phones are more than any person could reasonably ask for in telephony - after all, it's the connection that's important isn't it? As long as you can phone and order another block for the icebox, what kind of a sophisticate needs more?

Or here's a novel idea: update MM but allow users to choose whether or not to adopt the newer version or simply do nothing and use what they have? Oh, is that an option? On second thought, no, better not. GBABY doesn't get it, so it must not be a thing. Carry on.

Cheers,
Robert

Come on man. Can't you make a cogent post without getting personal? Its not about you or me.  :o

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #114 on: 7 Aug 2020, 03:55 pm »
Bingo! It's not about any one persons needs. Yet in this thread and many others you seem to feel the need to repeat that MM is perfect for your needs and therefore the changes others are suggesting are unnecessary. We get it - Manic Moose is fine as-is for YOUR needs. You've mentioned it ad naseum.

But to suggest that anyone with a different opinion must be more interested in looking at the screen than listening to music is the height of arrogance.

I have nothing personal at stake here as MM doesn't interest me from a music playing perspective. I just think it's a shame for Bryston not to have a modern interface and I believe it costs them sales. In any case, I'll be moving on soon as the various pops, clicks and required reboots for every configuration change are becoming tedious. Pity, as the BDP & BDA really do sound fantastic when they work.

I also have nothing personal against you. In fact you were one of the first to welcome me with some positive words when I joined this forum. You have good things to offer the Bryston community, including your appreciation of MM. But constantly stating your use-case as the only reasonable one is tiresome.

Cheers,
Robert

Timslim18

« Reply #115 on: 7 Aug 2020, 04:19 pm »
In this day and age, it is prudent for a high-end audio manufacturer to continue improving their users' experience as long as it in no way degrades the quality of the listening experience.

This is especially true if a company wishes to broaden the demographics of its customer base by bringing in younger customers who expect a user interface of at least equivalent quality to that of their other non-audio devices.

In the automotive industry's early years, manual transmissions met customer needs and the technology still works today.  But customers embraced and now demand automatic transmissions which greatly improved the driving (i.e., user) experience especially for young/new drivers.  Similarly, by limiting user experience improvements, high-end audio manufacturers will be left fighting for market share in a contracting audio market.

In my opinion, as a business and non-tech guy, Bryston has a  workable utilitarian user interface which is especially frustrating on small handheld devices.  Compared with each of the dozens of the other user interfaces on my desktops, laptops, tablets and phones, Bryston's user interface is singularly awkward and archaic in looks, feel and functionality.

I have taken the time to express these views in the hope that I can encourage a change for the good of Bryston's digital products and for me as a customer/supporter of this fine respected company.

My 2 cents.

gbaby

« Reply #116 on: 7 Aug 2020, 06:42 pm »
Bingo! It's not about any one persons needs. Yet in this thread and many others you seem to feel the need to repeat that MM is perfect for your needs and therefore the changes others are suggesting are unnecessary. We get it - Manic Moose is fine as-is for YOUR needs. You've mentioned it ad naseum.

But to suggest that anyone with a different opinion must be more interested in looking at the screen than listening to music is the height of arrogance.

I have nothing personal at stake here as MM doesn't interest me from a music playing perspective. I just think it's a shame for Bryston not to have a modern interface and I believe it costs them sales. In any case, I'll be moving on soon as the various pops, clicks and required reboots for every configuration change are becoming tedious. Pity, as the BDP & BDA really do sound fantastic when they work.

I also have nothing personal against you. In fact you were one of the first to welcome me with some positive words when I joined this forum. You have good things to offer the Bryston community, including your appreciation of MM. But constantly stating your use-case as the only reasonable one is tiresome.

Cheers,
Robert

There is nothing arrogant about me. Sometimes, the truth hurts. I am a logical, pragmatic, practical person who has always been brutally frank. I would not let my consistent, if not persistent, opinion bother you. It's only an opinion. Also, don't read more into my comments than I write. Actually, I am trying to get all of us to be reasonable. The more demands you put on a company, the more prices increases. So, I am trying to save the company money so that cost will not increase to the the point we can't afford this stuff. Again, I'm cool with Manic Moose as it does everything I need it to do except prepare my dinner. :lol:  And, for whatever its worth, I'm not mad at you as you have my namesake. :D

Robert
« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2020, 09:54 pm by gbaby »

gbaby

« Reply #117 on: 7 Aug 2020, 07:02 pm »
In this day and age, it is prudent for a high-end audio manufacturer to continue improving their users' experience as long as it in no way degrades the quality of the listening experience.

This is especially true if a company wishes to broaden the demographics of its customer base by bringing in younger customers who expect a user interface of at least equivalent quality to that of their other non-audio devices.

In my opinion, as a business and non-tech guy, Bryston has a  workable utilitarian user interface which is especially frustrating on small handheld devices.  Compared with each of the dozens of the other user interfaces on my desktops, laptops, tablets and phones, Bryston's user interface is singularly awkward and archaic in looks, feel and functionality.

I have taken the time to express these views in the hope that I can encourage a change for the good of Bryston's digital products and for me as a customer/supporter of this fine respected company.

My 2 cents.

Your two cents is highly valuable. But, do you really want to use an iPhone or any other phone to access Manic Moose? I've done it but prefer my MacBook Pro or iPad. Again, this goes into the nothing is perfect category. I have not read any articulable defects in Manic Moose from folks that warrant a complete change of the interface. However, if I've missed something, feel free to advise. A while back, I was accused of being a Bryston fanboy. I thought it was a complement because I am. The reason is that when I purchased my SP3 years ago, I had issues, and Stan from Bryston called me 10:00 pm on Christmas Eve to help resolve my issues and I gave him hell as I did not understand a lot of the computer jargon. But, Stan showed supreme equanimity, and resolved my issues. So from that experience, I am a FANBOY. :D I am unaccustomed to this kind of service, and I want to encourage it to continue. The only issue I have with Bryston is that I wish Chris will call or send my instruction to put the harness on my BDP-3 so I can use all eight (8) USB drives and wifi. But even now, I'm not upset. If I had to guess a reason, he's probably too busy trying to work on an unnecessary replacement for Manic Moose for someone to find fault in its new replacement. However, thats life. But, I need to give Chris praise too. One day he spent close to three (3) hours with me on the phone helping me with my then, BDP2. So, I have no problems with Chris as he is a great human being.  8)

zoom25

« Reply #118 on: 7 Aug 2020, 09:41 pm »
The web Manic Moose on a phone is a non-option. On an iPad, it's still a pain. 15 inch MacBook Pro is better. It's perfect on the 27" iMac. If Bryston made a basic app with Manic Moose capabilities that scaled properly on smaller screens, that'd be much appreciated. I wasn't fond of the third party apps. Their metadata and library capabilities were limited and they wouldn't update properly. Spotify's app does a lot more and does it all very clearly on both desktop or iPad or iPhone/iPod.

FWIW I wholeheartedly agree with 'Robert' :wink:

gbaby

« Reply #119 on: 7 Aug 2020, 09:51 pm »
The web Manic Moose on a phone is a non-option. On an iPad, it's still a pain. 15 inch MacBook Pro is better. It's perfect on the 27" iMac. If Bryston made a basic app with Manic Moose capabilities that scaled properly on smaller screens, that'd be much appreciated. I wasn't fond of the third party apps. Their metadata and library capabilities were limited and they wouldn't update properly. Spotify's app does a lot more and does it all very clearly on both desktop or iPad or iPhone/iPod.

FWIW I wholeheartedly agree with 'Robert' :wink:
8) :D I use a 15" Macbook Pro. It sits to the left of me on a table, and I access both music from the BDP-3 and movies from Apple TV with my Macbook Pro. I am thrilled and appreciative to be living in a modern age.