Audiophile quality jazz recordings

50jess

Audiophile quality jazz recordings
« on: 8 Sep 2011, 05:42 am »
My personal favorites are Peter Erskine's CDs like "Live At  Rocco", "The Interlochen Concert", The Lounge Art Ensemble, "Music For Moderns".  High quality playing and audiophile recording.

neekomax

Re: Audiophile quality jazz recordings
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2011, 05:57 am »
I'm really getting into two Marcin Wasilewski Trio albums- 'Faithful' and 'Trio'. Beautiful recordings, inventive playing. Engaging but pretty. Pretty calm in general but just gorgeous. 

50jess

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2011, 07:37 am »
I'm really getting into two Marcin Wasilewski Trio albums- 'Faithful' and 'Trio'. Beautiful recordings, inventive playing. Engaging but pretty. Pretty calm in general but just gorgeous.
Hmmm... should check the trio out.  ECM.

neekomax

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2011, 08:05 am »
Listening now to Erskine - Interlochen Concert. Fantastic sound! Thanks! :thumb:

...nothing like a great trio  8).

R_burke

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2011, 01:57 pm »
ECM puts a lot of excellent recordings - I particularly like Nick Bartsch's Ronin, all three of them

JVC XRCD recordings are done quite well - I have one by Tom Coster and one by Robert Lucas

TONEPUB

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2011, 02:05 pm »
All of the Music Matters Blue Notes.  After just spending a few days in the studio listening to the master tapes with Joe Harley, their records sound exactly like the master tapes.  The original BN's are somewhat rolled off and compressed by comparison.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

airhead

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2011, 01:28 am »
There is a new remastered version of Patricia Barber's album Cafe Blue,
available directly from Premonition Records in a 180 gram pressing.  I have
ordered it but haven't listened to it yet.  The older one, which I own, is already
fantastic; this one is also supposed to be very good.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2011, 01:51 am »
If we're talkin off the shelf quality recordings, Concord Jazz is consistently good.  More refined as compared to Blue Note.

rab1234

« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2011, 02:09 am »
Try (Reference Recordings) Blazing Redheads, these girls are wild and Beyond the Missouri Sky by Charlie Haden & Pat Metheny.

beaglebump

« Reply #10 on: 19 Oct 2011, 03:16 am »
Recently picked up the new 180g of Esperanza Spalding, Junjo.  Fantastic quality and incredible talent.  Anything by Alan Broadbent, and partic. Jeff Hamilton's Trio, The Best Things Happen.  Simply beautiful pno trio jazz, imho.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2011, 12:15 am »

I was going to mention Faithful.  Fantastic sound.  Great music.

Although a bit odd, Patricia Barber's Mythologies has really great sound.

Anouar Brahem's The Astounding Eyes of Rita is very good and sounds incredible.

simoon

« Reply #12 on: 28 Oct 2011, 12:55 am »
As already stated, almost ANY ECM recording.

Very clean, dynamic, great imaging.

I really enjoy the intimate feeling on many of them.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #13 on: 31 Oct 2011, 11:09 pm »
Clean as a whistle, VERY dynamic, and very LIVE is Andy McKee and NEXT- Sound Roots (Mapleshade).  Must be ordered from the label's website where you can catch up on engineer Pierre Sprey's recording technique and catalog.  Best appreciated LOUD, like you're seated stage front!

rofo

« Reply #14 on: 1 Nov 2011, 01:04 am »
Charlie Hunter
Songs from the analog playground http://www.charliehunter.com/discs/analogplayground.htm

very good recording

Old timer

« Reply #15 on: 13 Nov 2011, 02:19 am »
Many, not all, of the original Blue Notes, Prestige, New Jazz, Norgran, Hi-Fi Records and Contemporary Records, to name just a few.

Look for original LPs from the 1950's and 1960's. Look for the smaller, independent labels who allowed the musicians and engineers the freedom to do their job.

Remember, half of the fun is the search for jazz LPs.

andy_c

« Reply #16 on: 13 Nov 2011, 02:31 am »
I'd recommend Bobby Watson's Post-Motown Bop. This one has tons of dynamic range, is very clean and the music is fantastic. I find that if I crank it up to a fun listening level, whatever disc I play afterward will usually blow me out of my chair from being too loud if I forget to turn down the volume beforehand.

It contains his classic tune In Case You Missed It. It may be out of print but it's available used on Amazon.

jazzster

« Reply #17 on: 1 Dec 2011, 03:22 am »
To me the best recordings are the 45rpm music matters although the Van Gelder digital recordings are not that far behind.  Maybe I need to get a better digital source to beat my VPI classic table!  Also, a couple of recordings I came across lately that sound wonderful are LP's from Soul Note.  Have a couple of Art Blakey LP's are they are great!

tipatina

« Reply #18 on: 1 Dec 2011, 03:31 am »
I enjoy the sounds of Jazzology Records on vinyl. Bob Haggart, et. el. Well recorded quality material, mostly traditional jazz. The individual instruments really stand out in the small ensembles. All killer players.

jjc1

« Reply #19 on: 1 Dec 2011, 04:12 pm »
   "At Shelley's Mannwhole"  Bill evans trio. The XRCD is excellent as well as the Vinyl (if u can find it).  I find most XRCDs are very well produced and find that many sound as good as SACD.
   :thumb: