Center channel for NX-Studio

zlib

Center channel for NX-Studio
« on: 9 Jun 2022, 11:35 am »
I have assembled NX-Studio several months ago and realised that their best place for me is in my home theater system. The problem is it is very difficult to find a proper center channel to match with NX-Studios' resolution and tone. One more cabinet of NX-Studio doesn't seem as a good idea because it should be placed horizontally and it is not symmetrical visually; furthermore, the area near the tweeter (to the left or to the right of speaker) should be empty.
So, any plans on symmetrical MTM center channel for NX-Studio?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Center channel for NX-Studio
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2022, 11:47 am »
A third NX-Studio would work and there’s no reason to lay it on its side.  You just have to have room for it.

zlib

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2022, 11:55 am »
I don't have a room for third vertical NX-Studio.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2022, 12:53 pm »
There is a center channel in the works, we just need a test cabinet and more importantly, tweeters.

NoahH

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2022, 01:17 pm »
It is worth trying without a center for a while too. HT folks glorify it, and it is indeed fine, but the whole point of good stereo is to get imaging minimally between the mains.

I have run a pair of Wilson speakers in my HT for 5 years without a center and regularly have people ask where the center is eventually, having assumed there was one from the sound.

morganc

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2022, 02:32 pm »
I have an old X Voce center that works really well with my NX Studios. 

Digi-G

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2022, 02:56 pm »
It is worth trying without a center for a while too. HT folks glorify it, and it is indeed fine, but the whole point of good stereo is to get imaging minimally between the mains.

I have run a pair of Wilson speakers in my HT for 5 years without a center and regularly have people ask where the center is eventually, having assumed there was one from the sound.

I'm not sure I'd say that I 'glorify' it, but Dolby Surround, DTS, etc. have a discreet (dedicated) channel output for the center channel.  That's normally where the dialog is.  If you're playing back movies in stereo, then no, you don't need a center channel.  If you're using the mentioned surround modes without a center channel then your dialog disappears.

For the record, when listening to music I don't like the center channel to be used.  I know some people say it 'anchors' the center of the music, but to me it robs some of the imaging.  YMMV.

zlib

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2022, 03:04 pm »
There is a center channel in the works, we just need a test cabinet and more importantly, tweeters.
I'm looking forward to it!

Digi-G

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2022, 04:35 pm »
<deleted post>

NoahH

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2022, 01:50 am »
I'm not sure I'd say that I 'glorify' it, but Dolby Surround, DTS, etc. have a discreet (dedicated) channel output for the center channel.  That's normally where the dialog is.  If you're playing back movies in stereo, then no, you don't need a center channel.  If you're using the mentioned surround modes without a center channel then your dialog disappears.

For the record, when listening to music I don't like the center channel to be used.  I know some people say it 'anchors' the center of the music, but to me it robs some of the imaging.  YMMV.

Most receivers support virtual center.

I have a 12.2 system in a custom theater. Rears, side, front-side, l/r, and 4 overhead, and 2 subs. Just no center. A good receiver just sends half the center to the left and half to the right, and you are done.

By all means, get a center of preferred, but it is worth trying without and you may be surprised