New Flagship in the works...

Marbles

New Flagship in the works...
« on: 22 Oct 2007, 03:58 pm »
Jim, I know you don't want to comment on any new speakers until they are completed but:
-----------------------------
"Now that the HT3’s are about 3 years old, it is time to start working on a new flagship model. But there would be no reason to introduce a model that was not a significant step up. And that represents a challenge.

The HT3’s do everything extremely well. For example, the HT3’s F3 is 29Hz, low enough to reproduce about virtually any traditional musical instrument. Improving on this performance characteristic will require even more bass extension - no small feat. Although we will not do it at the expense of sound quality, we will try to increase sensitivity somewhat. And although the HT3’s imaging and sound staging is quite spectacular, we do have a few ideas on improvements in this area as well."
------------------------------------
You already have....

Can you give us any info on these?  Price, drivers, etc...Thanks

Woodsea

Re: New Flagship in the works...
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2007, 04:00 pm »
I read that too, and thought of you, Marbles.

95bcwh

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2007, 04:12 pm »
And although the HT3’s imaging and sound staging is quite spectacular, we do have a few ideas on improvements in this area as well."

From a newbie point of view..I wonder what can one do to improve imaging and soundstage except changing out the "drivers"?? aa

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2007, 04:39 pm »
Waaaaaaaaay too early for any of that type of info.  Maybe bigger, certainly badder.  Too many decisions still to be made yet.  Let's not pressure the master (JS) and the oracle (DM) too soon. :nono: :lol:

We must be patient young Padawans.

Dibs on Beta tester!! :green:

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2007, 04:48 pm »
Marbles -

I am certainly not trying to be coy about it, but there really isn't much I can tell you at this point.  We have a set of design goals and some ideas on how to achieve them.  But speaker design is all about balancing trade-offs and there are usually two or three different ways to approach each design goal.

If we are to develop a new flagship model, at a minimum I would like to see greater bass extension, higher sensitivity and even better imaging.  But as I indicated in the interview, improving in these areas will be quite a challenge.

There are a few things I do know at this point.  First, it would be a ribbon-based design as I don't see any reason to forgo the magic ribbons can provide.  Second, I do know it will be expensive.  My guess it that it will be at least double the cost of an HT3.  

As for drivers, I would guess it will take us about a year to locate and test drivers that will allow us to meet our design goals.  Once we find the drivers we are looking for, the rest will be relatively easy.  

In terms of cabinet design, we need to take this to the next level as well.  A more massive and heavy cabinet will be required, although this does not necessarily mean larger.  Some of the things we will need to do will most likely preclude the use of MDF or baltic birch plywood.  So there is a very high liklyhood that at least the upper portion of the cabinet will be cast from a high-tech, high-density material we are looking at.

Keep in mind that all of this is highly speculative.  If we can't improve significantly on the HT3's, this potential new design will never see the light of day.

I wish I could tell shed more light on this project but, at this point, anything more detailed would be highly speculative.  We'll just have to see how things sort out.

- Jim

yooper

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2007, 05:05 pm »
Hey Jim,

Whether or not a replacement or a "better" model does materialize, I have to say "kudos" to you and your team for having the drive and ambition to strive for further perfection.  :thumb:  Although I can't even begin to imagine the amount of work this would entail. 

It would certainly be easier to simply design a new cabinet, toss in a subtle improvement or two and call it a day (as many of the big boys do).  

Your ambitions never cease to amaze me, quite the innovator you are.

Mark

gthomas

« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2007, 08:07 pm »
Jim, I love my HT3s, but if you will offer a trade-up, I'll be glad to be one of the first to try the new model.

Gene Thomas

randybessinger

« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2007, 12:40 am »
Jim, I love my HT3s, but if you will offer a trade-up, I'll be glad to be one of the first to try the new model.

Gene Thomas

Put me second :D

gthomas

« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2007, 02:56 am »
There you go Jim two pairs of the flagship in the state of Missouri!!

Gene Thomas

jsalk

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2007, 03:06 am »
Gene (and Randy) -

There you go Jim two pairs of the flagship in the state of Missouri!!

Gene Thomas

Wow...I better get to work!

- Jim