Center Channel for HT1

ROB968323

Center Channel for HT1
« on: 21 Sep 2007, 01:00 pm »
I was toying with the idea of adding a center channel to go with my HT1s.  Does anybody know of a speaker in the $400 - $500 range that would be a good match?  I'm hoping to help with vocals in movies...tired of having to rewind the disk to hear subtle voices.

Thanks,

Rob

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Center Channel for HT1
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2007, 01:20 pm »
Does it have to be a horizontal MTM? 

Woodsea

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2007, 01:44 pm »
You could try these
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1C/srm1c.html

They are brand new, top of the line from the American Made Ascend Acoustic company

ROB968323

« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2007, 01:45 pm »
Does it have to be a horizontal MTM? 

It's going to go right on top of my RPTV.  I would think it would need to be shielded too.

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2007, 02:52 pm »
With most RPTV's, the guns are located in the lower part of the cabinet and a mirror projects the image onto the screen.  In that case, you would proabably have no trouble with a non-sheilded speaker sitting on top since it would be located far from the CRT's.  Of course, if you set is a DLP RPTV, or similar, that does not use CRT's, it is no issue at all.

While slightly over your budget, the new SongCenter might work well for you since it is basically voiced the same.  I'll probably have pictures and details ready to post in about a week.

- Jim

ROB968323

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2007, 03:01 pm »
With most RPTV's, the guns are located in the lower part of the cabinet and a mirror projects the image onto the screen.  In that case, you would proabably have no trouble with a non-sheilded speaker sitting on top since it would be located far from the CRT's.  Of course, if you set is a DLP RPTV, or similar, that does not use CRT's, it is no issue at all.

While slightly over your budget, the new SongCenter might work well for you since it is basically voiced the same.  I'll probably have pictures and details ready to post in about a week.

- Jim

Thanks Jim.  I'll keep an eye out for it.  Cost?  My RPTV is CRT based.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2007, 03:06 pm »
The Sierra's have received good reviews, and are priced right.  But I wouldn't expect them to be voiced all that similarly to the HT-1's.  The highs are 3-5 dB hotter in relation to the broad midrange, and there's a dip in the lower highs. http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/bookshelf/ascend-acoustics-sierra-1/sierra-1-measurements-and-conclusion.html   I just don't know how much that would matter in a center channel.   The SongCenter will certainly be closer to the HT1's in overall balance, but of course they have $200 in drivers out of the starting block, plus crossover and cabinet.  So I'm guessing Jim will have to price them higher than $500 unless he's decided to go into charity work.  

randybessinger

« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2007, 03:32 pm »
For what it is worth, here is another set of measurements from the NRC.

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/ascend_sierra1/

fsimms

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2007, 04:32 pm »
Randy, you can probably see how the SongCenter will work with the HT1's if you still have the SongTowers.  Just put the SongTowers on each side of your TV and run them both mono from the center channel amp.  The center channel only just has voices so that sould give a fairly accurate idea about how the SongCenter will work.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2007, 05:18 pm »

Wow--looks like the Audioholics reviewer needs to get his mic calibrated.  The NRC plots are gospel, as far as I'm concerned, and it appears that the Sierra has some serious baffle step problems.  The cheaper Ascend measured much better.

jd3

« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2007, 05:46 pm »
Rob,
I had some Sierra 1's and had the center on top of my RPTV...as Jim said shielding isn't a problem.  I don't think however that they will match that well with your HT1's.  The Sierra's, while an excellent bookshelf speaker, aren't in the same league as my SongTowers...as Dennis said, the voicing probably isn't a close enough match.  I'd wait for the SongCenter (I am!)

John

randybessinger

« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2007, 06:32 pm »

Wow--looks like the Audioholics reviewer needs to get his mic calibrated.  The NRC plots are gospel, as far as I'm concerned, and it appears that the Sierra has some serious baffle step problems.  The cheaper Ascend measured much better.

Dennis, how does that show up on the measurements?  Just curious-also what would you listen for to hear the problem.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2007, 07:19 pm »
you can see the baffle step problem in the steep rise in output in the 500-1 khz region.  That makes for a more sensitive speaker, and a more "up-front" sound, but on complex music and voice it will blur the detail giving a smeared presentation in the midrange.  This would be particularly a problem for brass.  Midrange clarity is the most important thing to get right in a speaker--at least that's been my experience.  But I haven't heard the Sierra's.  (Randy sent me a pair of the cheaper models, which measured well but sounded bright in the mid-treble.)