Name that speaker

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
Re: Name that speaker
« Reply #60 on: 27 May 2007, 05:03 pm »
Okay. A pure Dennis M design then.
Norwegian and Danish Drive units.
Salk not to be used as part of the product name...

So far Siren has come up.
Well, So this is sort of like the Ellis 1801 project then. Name retaining of the birth.

Well, let's get the fantasy going! Think people! Iterate!
Some historic facts:
Odysseus was curious as to what the Sirens sounded like, so he had all his sailors plug their ears with beeswax and tie him to the mast. He ordered his men to leave him tied to the mast, no matter how much he would beg. When he heard their beautiful song, he ordered the sailors to untie him but they stuck to their orders (or they couldn't hear him). When they had passed out of earshot, Odysseus stopped thrashing about and calmed down, and was released

It is said that, incensed at having been outplayed, the Sirens flung themselves down into the water and perished.

Odysseus had a fast black ship, a Penteconter type with a 55 foot high mast.

Well, I guess Penteconter Siren "55" (playing out the double 5 inchers size, Penta is also 5) Is
a good name... Could be?
-----------------
Also Jason meet the Sirens.

Jason had been warned by Chiron that Orpheus would be necessary in his journey. When Orpheus heard their voices (the Sirens), he drew his lyre and played his music more beautifully than they, drowning out their voices. One of the crew, however, the sharp-eared hero Butes, heard the song and leapt into the sea, but he was caught up and carried safely away by the goddess Aphrodite

A place known to inhabit Sirens is called Lorelei. Sirens are often described as also to have an utter silence.
This is a greater power than their song. A Rose is a symbol of silence, can be. Rose means "Beauty"

Imperial

« Last Edit: 27 May 2007, 05:28 pm by Imperial »

Papajin

« Reply #61 on: 27 May 2007, 05:35 pm »
I had thought maybe the D'Mur (pronounced demure), but judging from the description, that speaker is anything but...

Imperial

« Reply #62 on: 27 May 2007, 05:53 pm »
I had thought maybe the D'Mur (pronounced demure), but judging from the description, that speaker is anything but...

Well, if one combines... Something singing better than a Siren, the Sirens will be silenced...

Siren's D'Mur  (The letters making up the name oozes word play)
Hm? Could that work?

Orpheo Melodium, (song of Orpheus, that was more beauiful than the siren song)
Gambit (A smooth first move..)

Imperial
« Last Edit: 27 May 2007, 06:52 pm by Imperial »

Nels Ferre

« Reply #63 on: 27 May 2007, 07:17 pm »

A place known to inhabit Sirens is called Lorelei. Sirens are often described as also to have an utter silence.
This is a greater power than their song. A Rose is a symbol of silence, can be. Rose means "Beauty"

If you are suggesting Lorelei as the name, Odyssey Audio already has a speaker called the Lorelei.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #64 on: 27 May 2007, 08:42 pm »
How about Venerator?

Venerate is defined as:  To regard with respect, reverence, or heartfelt deference.

or maybe

Affinity?

Affinity is defined as:  a natural liking for or attraction to a person, thing, idea, etc.

George

Imperial

« Reply #65 on: 27 May 2007, 09:04 pm »

If you are suggesting Lorelei as the name, Odyssey Audio already has a speaker called the Lorelei.
Yup, German Physiks also have a speaker called this ( This is a wild thing...)

Imperial

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #66 on: 27 May 2007, 09:22 pm »
Venerean......Devoted to the offices of Venus, or love....and who doesn't love speakers.... :wink:

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #67 on: 28 May 2007, 12:14 am »
For what it is worth, I really like "Affinity" a whole bunch.

Frank Van Alstine

Big Red Machine

« Reply #68 on: 28 May 2007, 01:11 pm »
I like Affinity too Frank. :D

How about Modest 1? :green:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #69 on: 28 May 2007, 02:14 pm »

Affinity is awful close to Infinity.  Not sure I want to take on Harmon International.  They're headquartered just a block down the road from me. 

Since Jim and I seem so intent on distancing ourselves from this thing, why don't you take it on?  The Big Red Machine Sireeeeeeeeeen.   A winner for sure. 

Imperial

« Reply #70 on: 28 May 2007, 02:25 pm »

Affinity Siren...
Modest 1 was also somewhat dandy!

A Norwegian "Gothic" heavy metal group is called Sirenia by the way, female singer... Oy Wey!  :thumb:
Looks like this:
 You could send her to Infiniti HQ to ehm... Sing her song if things got sour...
Say sing this: http://www.mortenveland.com/sirenia/video_mymindseye.php ...
Here is a song about the deed of a Siren.. http://www.mortenveland.com/sirenia/video_otherside.php

You could say this group has a certain affinity to legends..

Besides, the insignia has to bear a "easy to see" resemblance to the original (Infinity) and
 also have a name that is closely related in form and meaning...

And it has to be obvious that the intent was to use the former "infinity" to get the interest in the product
"Affinity"
Neither applies here ...
Besides, Infinity actually had the audacity to call one of their cheapest speakers Reference 1... :nono:

... The example from music is that 2/3 of the text and and/or the music (melodic main notation) of the main theme, bridge or verse of the song is to be an instant and clear to hear copy of the original song for the maker of the first released work to have grounds to react...
A certain number of notes in the melody also has to be in that order as was the original for the legality to be questioned...

Say, when the name is chosen, will the be a string like this for the design of the name/look of the insignia also? :idea:

Say... Audacity is a good name, albeit already used by a music program..

Affinity , alikeness, analogy, comparison, correspondence, likeness, parallelism, resemblance, similarity, similitude, uniformity, (affinite ,old english), Affinion, Affertude, Affinote, afferlodic, meloferdic, Lot of ways to transform this word.

Imperial
« Last Edit: 28 May 2007, 03:44 pm by Imperial »

fsimms

« Reply #71 on: 28 May 2007, 02:42 pm »
One more name to toss into the fray.

David

The new speaker is a sure giant killer aa

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #72 on: 28 May 2007, 03:43 pm »
David was actually the first name I thought of.  Until I googled it.  Way many speakers named David.  So naturally, I picked George.  That's when Jim interceded.

Papajin

« Reply #73 on: 28 May 2007, 03:46 pm »
How about The Telekinesis...

tel·e·ki·ne·sis       (těl'ĭ-kə-nē'sĭs, -kī-)  Pronunciation Key
n.   The movement of objects by scientifically inexplicable means, as by the exercise of an occult power.

You could add some scientifically inexplicable tweaks as options too!

Imperial

« Reply #74 on: 28 May 2007, 03:48 pm »
Daimh (pronounced da-eve) is the Gaelic word for affinity or kinship.
Daimh ID ... Pronounced Da-eve-iD ... "damit"! It does not work..  :D

Well, was worth a shot...

Gaelic is quite a good language for not often used words/names..
http://www.gaelic.ca/language/words.htm
http://www.ceantar.org/Dicts/search.html

If you say Siren'ee You create a (Gaelic/Welsh) word meaning (Daughter of the Siren)
It would actually be sort of "lingo"... no really correct, but nee does mean daughter on a "easy" speaking in Gaelic.

Siren'ee would sound like "Siren's Irony" when pron'd

Imperial
« Last Edit: 28 May 2007, 04:30 pm by Imperial »

Ron Stewart

• http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgs/
« Reply #75 on: 29 May 2007, 11:53 pm »
Jim, Dennis,

Do you have any plans to publish the cabinet plans and crossover schematic (either for free, or at some cost) for this yet-to-be-named speaker? That is, will it be like the CAOW1 or MBOW1, where DIYers can get the plans from Dennis' site, while others can order a finished pair from Jim?

I've been interested in TLs for a while, particularly one with this slim tower form factor. I've seen a few designs on the web, but I don't know how accomplished the designers are, especially with respect to the crossover. (Tony Gee seems to be well-respected, and his Optimo looks interesting, but it uses very expensive drivers.) I built a pair of Ellis 1801 floorstanders a few years ago, so I've heard at least one of Dennis' crossovers.

I don't really need another pair of speakers, because the my 1801s are very good, but I would like to experiment with a well-designed TL without spending a lot of money. Of course, nothing I built would look as nice as Jim's, but just buying speakers isn't as fun as building them.

Ron

Nels Ferre

« Reply #76 on: 30 May 2007, 12:23 am »
David was actually the first name I thought of.  Until I googled it.  Way many speakers named David.  So naturally, I picked George.  That's when Jim interceded.

George shouldn't be the permanent name--won't appeal to Democrats.  Democrats have been trying to get rid of George for years now, and surely won't want two more.   :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #77 on: 30 May 2007, 08:33 am »
Along a Latin theme, how about Cantus?  It means, roughly, "melody" or "singing." Cantus DM has a nice ring.  :)

Although for the record I also like Siren.

Imperial

« Reply #78 on: 30 May 2007, 09:04 pm »
If David is too known... (King David)
How about his worship leader , a person called Kenaniah
I bet no speaker thus far has that name. It would be a first.
The name means: "God establishes". Kenaniah was the master of the song.

The Group Petra, on the album "This means war" has a song called "Kenaniah"
There they sing about this incredible vocalist (He must have been awesome!)
Vocalis Kenaniah ... or maybe Melodium Kenaniah, Cantus Kenaniah, Kenaniah Vocalis.
or
Kenaniah Cantus, that would mean "God establishes 'the' melody"
Like that, maybe.

Imperial
« Last Edit: 30 May 2007, 09:23 pm by Imperial »

jsalk

« Reply #79 on: 31 May 2007, 02:22 am »
Ron -

Jim, Dennis,

Do you have any plans to publish the cabinet plans and crossover schematic (either for free, or at some cost) for this yet-to-be-named speaker? That is, will it be like the CAOW1 or MBOW1, where DIYers can get the plans from Dennis' site, while others can order a finished pair from Jim?

There are currently no plans to offer this speaker as a kit or DIY project.  That does not mean that a kit couldn't be made available at some point in the future.  But we are currently concentrating our efforts on getting this speaker project completed and having them available for sale.  Perhaps we can revisit this issue after all other issues are dealt with.

- Jim