What Exactly is "The Zu Sound"?

Wind Chaser

Re: What Exactly is "The Zu Sound"?
« Reply #40 on: 26 Oct 2010, 11:39 pm »
I was speaking in terms of dynamics.  The sheer exhilaration from the burst of speed that only a crotch rocket can give and how that is managed on a non-linear road.  Live music is exceedingly dynamic.  I’m tired, flat out bored with speakers that can’t convey energy and emotion because they compress the musical terrain into an auditory prairie.  Such is the nature of common audiophile speakers… and that handicap cannot be remedied with mega watt amplifiers.  So you end up making a choice.  You either live with one compromise or another. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #41 on: 30 Oct 2010, 05:27 pm »
i first tried zu monitors in this room; crossed over to vmps larger subs at ~80hz:

close-up:

i liked them a lot, but not for the main room - detail was way lacking.  yes, dynamic as all get-out.  so, they ended up replacing the thiels, in the kitchen, (w/a powered sub).  here's the thiels in this room:

the zu's are a no-go for me, for my main system, due to lack of detail; mebbe their newer iterations are better.  but according to comments by srajan and others, i still don't think they'd be my cuppa.  i am now happy w/decware-modded fostex fe206e's in oris horns from 250hz up, w/pro-audio 15" fostex drivers in modded klipsch lascala bass-bins down to 80hz, and the vmps' below that.  system is tri-amped, w/active deqx dsp for flat frequency response.  this is the best compromise i have heard - for my ears. dynamic, detailed, excellent soundstaging, excellent tone from top to bottom.  i only wish i had my present set-up in my old house.   :?  mebbe some day...

doug s.

rjbond3rd

« Reply #42 on: 31 Oct 2010, 02:32 pm »
Hi doug s., sorry for the OT but can you tell us how your La Scala bins are modded?  Looks like you added mouth braces but also doubled up the walls? 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #43 on: 31 Oct 2010, 07:16 pm »
Hi doug s., sorry for the OT but can you tell us how your La Scala bins are modded?  Looks like you added mouth braces but also doubled up the walls?
i did not do the mods; they were done by the po.  besides the fostex pro-audio 15" woofer being installed, and the mouth braces, yes, the walls were doubled up, besides the trim on the edges.  the things weigh a freaking ton...

doug s.

dfirca

« Reply #44 on: 16 Nov 2010, 05:50 pm »
I have had this same question as I am interested in Zu Audio; more specifically, the new Soul Superfly.  But of course everyone's tastes are different and some indicate they are not as detailed (relatively speaking of course) while others rave about how detailed they are.  I'm near Cleveland, Ohio and am wondering if anyone would be willing to provide a demonstration of their Zu speakers?  Or if anyone knows of additional threads or circles specifically for Zu Audio.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Doug

Mariusz

« Reply #45 on: 16 Nov 2010, 06:14 pm »
Welcome to AC :thumb:
My first suggestion would be to look at the ton of material here

raindance

« Reply #46 on: 16 Nov 2010, 06:41 pm »
I've only heard the Druids and I did not like them. They sounded like PA speakers to me. Highly dynamic and highly colored. I am a pro sound guy and have built speakers that sound similar for live sound applications where the need is to be efficient and produce high SPL, but with the knowledge that 31-band EQ will be used to match the response to the room. I also did not find them extended at the top or bottom, just loud.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #47 on: 16 Nov 2010, 11:15 pm »
Now think about this…  If they were truly that bad, 'lacking bass' and 'highly colored' why would so many people who've previously owned a number of 'typical hi-fi' speakers rave about them?  Moreover why do many people power them with some of the best amplification available?

Set up is critical; if you don't get that right, then they can be pretty horrid - moreso than than your average speaker.  But if you get it right, then they are far more honest and real sounding than most speakers.

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #48 on: 16 Nov 2010, 11:32 pm »
But if you get it right, then they are far more honest and real sounding than most speakers.

+++1

Mariusz

« Reply #49 on: 16 Nov 2010, 11:40 pm »
Zu's popularity & success is partial to marketing, high wife acceptance factor (HWAF), favorable reviews (for the most part) and an easy load for most amplifiers (including various vacuum tube single ended triode amps and low power Class A solid state alternatives).

mbakes

« Reply #50 on: 16 Nov 2010, 11:56 pm »
I'm listening to a pair of Superflys and they are not lacking for extension in either direction.  Some of the deepest bass I've hear in my room.  There also is no lack of detail.  I've owned a bunch of speakers and have heard a bunch of others, including many at RMAF this year and these are the ones that I thought, I need to buy a pair of these.  To me, the SF sound like I'm listening to the music not the gear.

mjosef

« Reply #51 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:03 am »
I heard a Zu once, wasn't too impressed either...can't recall which one it was, but I do have a pic of it in my gallery.
This one...

They do look sharp, jus' not my cuppa'... :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #52 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:29 am »
In terms of setting them up, the most common errors people make is they don't spread them wide enough apart, they don't tow them hard enough, they fail to set the gap, and they place them on carpet.

And if you use crappy gear, you'll get crappy results!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #53 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:45 am »
I would also add that anyone who has an aversion for live music and prefers the sound of 'hyper hi-fi' isn’t going like them. 

Mariusz

« Reply #54 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:46 am »
IMO, Zu family speakers or new Tekton Lore speakers might be qualify as "musician's meow". Dynamic, revealing, similar to live performance.
Not necessarily "audiophile" quality. (whatever that means)

I am going to repeat myself by saying that my overall experience with Zu is sort of a "mixed bag". Presentations/recollection that varies from systems which were carefully assembled in dedicated listening rooms (mostly with all tube gear) and some awful exhibition demo rooms.

Personally,
coming from single driver speakers reproduction and ability to cook up various DIY designs, Zu (Omen) seems like interesting proposition with potentials and room for improvements. $999 isn't much to work with - even in DIY criteria. Given the size, low price, HWAF and spects it seems like win-win proposal for a lots of folks out there.
Just my 2¢

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #55 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:53 am »

I would also add that anyone who has an aversion for live music and prefers the sound of 'hyper hi-fi' isn’t going like them.

Absolutely to the point. Whole-heartedly agree!

If you are into hyper resolution & pin-point imaging, you want to cut the sound-stage with your newly sharpened turkey slicer and want to walk inside the music, as some audiophiles have a hankering for, then the Zu Superflys are not for you.

Mind you, I am not saying this is wrong or bad - just that the Zu Superflys do not achieve those goals.

- David.

mjosef

« Reply #56 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:59 am »
Dunno which "live concerts" you been to...but didn't sound like any I have been to...I see no need to "pigeon hole" those with differing views/opinions/impressions.
Granted that the model I heard was in 2007...3 years ago, a lot can happen in 3 years.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #57 on: 17 Nov 2010, 01:10 am »
In reference to live music, I'm talking small intimate venues.  Not staudium rock concerts.  No pigeonholes here, but to be dismissive or critical based a bad experience or two isn't exactly fair or broad minded.

mbakes

« Reply #58 on: 17 Nov 2010, 01:16 am »
In reference to live music, I'm talking small intimate venues.
I agree, like sitting a dead center at the Village Vanguard, not a rock concert at Madison Square Garden.

ltr317

« Reply #59 on: 17 Nov 2010, 01:17 am »
I agree with Martin.  I attend 20-30 concerts a year, from rock to classical, in small and large venues, and amplified and unamplified.  I have heard different Zu models several times in the past 6-7 years, and none of them are close to reproducing live music.  There are several speaker manufacturers I have heard which reproduce sound closer to live music than any of the Zu models in my experience.