30.2 LFP-V reviews

mca

30.2 LFP-V reviews
« on: 4 Jan 2012, 03:07 am »
Just curious if there are any other 30.2 LFP-V reviews in the works. Seems like the original 30.2 was reviewed by just about everyone. Seems to me the LFP-V is a big enough step up, there would be more reviews out there. The review on Digitalaudioreview.net was a great one by the way  :thumb:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: 30.2 LFP-V reviews
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2012, 06:29 pm »
Hi mca,

I do not have the Sig 30.2 LFP-V Edition submitted to any other reviewers at this time.  The LFP-V upgraded is a big step up - I should have renamed the product after that  :duh:  :green:.

Moving forward you will be seeing more Signature 15 reviews because its our latest integrated and like our upcoming Liliana Monoblocks, they migrate to a FET Class AB output stage with the Class A tube input stage - all on LiFePO4 battery power - which is a topology that no other amplifier on the market shares. 

Agree - John Darko of digitalaudioreview did a really nice job with his 30.2 LFP-V Edition review!

Best regards,

Vinnie

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2012, 02:36 am »
Vinnie,

Is it true that you have abandoned the Tripath chip for future amps in favor of a discrete (FET) output stage?

I've gotta ask - and I apologize if this sounds a bit provocative - but why didn't you just go that way to begin with? :)  It's not like this is new technology.  Was there a reason for this 'philosophical' shift?  Was the motivation the sonics, or something else, etc?

Thanks.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2012, 05:08 pm »
Hi Paul,

Is it true that you have abandoned the Tripath chip for future amps in favor of a discrete (FET) output stage?

Yes - future designs will feature a Class A tube input stage, and a discrete FET output stage, along with our OEM designed LiFePO4 battery power (we have also abandoned SLA batteries as of the Fall, 2010).

but why didn't you just go that way to begin with?   It's not like this is new technology.  Was there a reason for this 'philosophical' shift?  Was the motivation the sonics, or something else, etc?

Not a provocative question at all --- From 2005 into 2010, for amplification we used SLA battery power and Tripath, with excellent results.  When we switched to our LiFePO4 battery packs, it opened up a a new door for us, allowing us to add in a tube input stage.  The LFP-V Editions outclassed the older SLA / no-tube products in many respects (sonics, play time, battery longevity, higher energy density and current, etc.).

With the LiFePO4 battery technology and tube input stage we decided to experiment with discrete Class AB FET output stages, and combined with the tube input stage and all powered on LiFePO4,
we moved into another class in sonics! :o

See: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/redwine14/2.html

I am quoted a lot in this page and it explains all of this and more regarding our 'philosophical' shift.  :wink:

Thanks for asking,

Vinnie