M2Tech Evo interface

denjo

Re: M2Tech Evo interface
« Reply #20 on: 8 Aug 2010, 08:19 pm »
Hal: There is a gentleman over at the Naim Forum who seems to be using the Evo powered by such a battery! A Paul Hynes linear PS should also improve the Evo's performance significantly.

Would be interested in M2Tech's official reply to your battery query.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 8 Aug 2010, 08:43 pm »
Will let everyone know what I find.

One note of caution.  If you use the RJ45 Ethernet jack for I2S Bus, the pinout shown in the manual is with the key in the up position.  This is the reverse of the RJ45 jack standard (key in the down position), and will not work correctly if you wire it with a jack that has numbered connections to follow.   I have numbered connection jacks and the signals were on the wrong pins according to the RJ45 standard. 

mgalusha

« Reply #22 on: 8 Aug 2010, 10:18 pm »
The Evo has 5V, 3.3V and possibly 1.8V regulators internally. While they will likely live with 15V I'd stick with about 9V personally. The 7V minimum is to ensure the 5V regs don't drop out of regulation and going too high will make them have to drop a lot of voltage.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #23 on: 8 Aug 2010, 11:42 pm »
Thanks Mike!

Oh well.  I guess I will build another linear regulator to drop the voltage down from the 12VDC battery to 9VDC.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 9 Aug 2010, 02:50 pm »
On Mike's input I have the positive side half of an AudioXpress KG-5 regulator board to use.   Made it adjustable for another project awhile ago and just reset it for 9.1VDC.

Just need to rework the input to take off the AC transformer and connect the battery, fuse and switch. 

Have the correct DC power plug wired to the supply to connect to the Evo.   This should be fun!  :D

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #25 on: 11 Aug 2010, 05:38 pm »
After reading the threads on battery powering the HiFace, I have found a battery and charger that will run the Evo directly.  A123 sells Nanophosphate LiFePO4 battery packs for 9.9VDC and chargers.  Have a setup coming to give this a try.  No regulator needed for this setup. 

Will try this instead of the regulator and 12VDC AGM battery. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #26 on: 16 Aug 2010, 02:27 am »
The Evo is in the system running the Wolfson DAC.  Using the RCA-RCA adapter to direct connect the Evo to the DAC board.

Running the Evo off a battery pack at 9VDC.  The USB cable is the two port powered extender hub running off 5VDC from a regulated battery supply.  The DAC is also running off batteries. 

This is a very very good sounding setup!   Best digital sound I have heard from any digital playback mechanism in my room.  Will have to go back to the HiFace to see what I am changing, but need to do some more listening to get a good feel. 

Would be interesting to try a moded HiFace in comparison.  I just do not know anyone with one to give it a try.

So far, so good! :)

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #27 on: 25 Sep 2010, 02:19 am »
Have the Evo running the battery powered Wolfson DAC via I2S Bus.  Had to make a special cable harness from the Evo to the Wolfson DAC board.  The Evo is running on an A123 LiFePo4 9.9VDC 2.3Ah battery pack!

Will post listening impressions over the next few days.  This should be interesting!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #28 on: 29 Sep 2010, 12:55 am »
I really like the M2Tech Evo driving the Wolfson DAC via the I2S Bus.  It just sounds very clean and neutral to me running of the battery power supply.  The noise floor is VERY low with the battery power supplies running the Evo, DAC and buffer!  :thumb: 

Have about 6 hours on the A123 battery pack and should get around 15 hours before needing a recharge.    Recharge time is 15 minutes!  WOOHOO!

Even with a stock CAT6 cable for I2S Bus it works really well.  I have an idea to possibly make the I2S Bus cable better and waiting on parts to arrive to fab a new one. 

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #29 on: 29 Sep 2010, 02:43 am »
Thanks, HAL, for keeping us updated.

Fife12

« Reply #30 on: 2 Oct 2010, 09:26 pm »
Just wondering if anyone has received their Evo from Tweekgeek yet?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #31 on: 4 Oct 2010, 02:13 am »
I received mine from Tweek Geek.

Fife12

« Reply #32 on: 4 Oct 2010, 05:07 am »
Interesting as I ordered mine in July and I was one of the first 10 to order..

Hal do you have pics of your battery pack and where did you get it from?
Thanks

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #33 on: 4 Oct 2010, 12:26 pm »
This is the battery pack I am using:

Got it on Ebay.

julcat

« Reply #34 on: 6 Oct 2010, 02:00 pm »
I just receive this mail from M2Tech

".....
I confirm you that Evo can be supplied by 12 Volt SLA Battery.

Best regards,
Nadia Marino..."

TomS

« Reply #35 on: 13 Oct 2010, 01:07 pm »
HAL,

Thanks for the updates.  I'm not sure what's actually inside, but have you looked at upgrading internal regulators?

Tom

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #36 on: 13 Oct 2010, 02:50 pm »
Hi Hal:

I have a MKII Boxed HiFace coming any day from John Kenny.  I need to get purchase a linear non-switching Power Supply for this unit.  I was going to get the following:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=120-536

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=090-489

However, I believe I could also use the A123 9.9v battery with the above 2.1 mm plug/cord.  Do you need an additional charger for the A123?

Thanks,

Randy

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #37 on: 13 Oct 2010, 03:56 pm »
Tom,
I have not gone inside the Evo at this point.  Was to busy getting the I2S Bus interface working correctly with my DAC and the battery HPA running.

Randy,
The original HiFace needs a 5VDC power supply to run from the USB port.  That is why I built a 5VDC regulator after my 12VDC SLA battery.  The links to PE supplies look ok if set to 5VDC.  Jkeny would know more about the HiFace MKII and power supply requirements than I do at this point.     

The Evo runs over a wider voltage range (7VDC to 11VDC+) so I do not need a voltage regulator on the A123 9.9VDC battery pack.   I just have a power switch on the battery. 

You do need a special LiFe style balancing battery charger for the A123 battery packs.  The Hobby RC outlets carry them.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #38 on: 13 Oct 2010, 08:38 pm »
Hal:

Here is an excerpt off the MKII FAQ page on John's website:

External Power Supply:
Some consideration should be given to the external 9V to 12V power supply. Yes the switched mode power supplies that come with most modern appliances  WILL PROBABLY DO - you know the light ones. But it is better to use a better quality PS i.e. probably one with a transformer in it (i.e heavier). Remember, this is the feed for the 5V & 3.3V regulators in the MK2 modified Hiface box so the cleanest possible power is advisable.

A suitable UK 9V DC supply is £14 here  but others may well be available locally in your area.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46107&C=SO&U=strat15

A suitable US 9V DC supply is $10 here but again others may well be available locally in your area.

http://www.unicornelex.com/detail.php?itemno=13-2554&searchstring=

What you want is (v to 12V DC supply of 500mA or greater output with a 2.1mm plug with positive centre contact.
You could also run this off a 12V battery using an adapter plug like this or this, again respecting centre pin is positive polarity.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=390561
http://cgi.ebay.ie/4-x-DC-POWER-CONNECTOR-MALE-PLUG-JACK-2-1MM-CCTV-CAMERA-/220625778294?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item335e523676#ht_1482wt_989

The last quote is why I was interested in the A123 battery.

Thanks,

Randy

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #39 on: 13 Oct 2010, 10:26 pm »
Randy,
If it will run on that voltage range then the A123 9.9VDC battery should work well.   When I checked the HiFace it was a USB2 100mA device.  If that is the case, then the 2300mAh A123 9.9VDC pack should last over 20 hours on a charge. 

You would need a LiFe style CCCV charger to go with the battery.  I need one that will do 3, 4 and 5 cell packs and run off AC or DC.  Mine was $65 + $35 for the battery.