BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

dgarratt

Re: BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #800 on: 10 Jan 2015, 02:24 am »
Hi James,

Are you able to share your opinion on the PCM performance between the BDA-2 and BDA-3?

I'm thinking of upgrading from and BDA-1 to a BDA-2 but i'll hold off if there are sonic improvements to PCM performance in the BDA-3.

Thanks in advance.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #801 on: 10 Jan 2015, 03:59 am »
Hi James,

Are you able to share your opinion on the PCM performance between the BDA-2 and BDA-3?

I'm thinking of upgrading from and BDA-1 to a BDA-2 but i'll hold off if there are sonic improvements to PCM performance in the BDA-3.

Thanks in advance.

HI

So far in blind tests no difference.

james

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #802 on: 10 Jan 2015, 04:21 am »
HI

So far in blind tests no difference.

james

James, your integrity and honesty are very commendable!

I still enjoy my BDA-1 daily and am looking at the BDA-3.

Andre

dgarratt

« Reply #803 on: 13 Jan 2015, 10:33 pm »
Hi James,

If I was to purchase DSD music in the future, what happens if I was to try and play that music on my BDP connected to a BDA-1 or BDA-2 via AES? Can/will the BDP convert it to PCM prior to outputting it to the BDA? If not is this something that could be implemented in software for those of us who didn't want to jump on the BDA-3 right away?

cheers-

Samurai7595

« Reply #804 on: 14 Jan 2015, 12:06 pm »
Hi James,

If I was to purchase DSD music in the future, what happens if I was to try and play that music on my BDP connected to a BDA-1 or BDA-2 via AES? Can/will the BDP convert it to PCM prior to outputting it to the BDA? If not is this something that could be implemented in software for those of us who didn't want to jump on the BDA-3 right away?

cheers-

+1  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #805 on: 14 Jan 2015, 12:44 pm »
Hi James,

cheers-

Hi

No the chip set needed to decode DSD correctly is not in the BDA-1 or 2 - it is a hardware issue not a software issue.  There is no way to make the software convert on the AES.

james

Phil A

« Reply #806 on: 14 Jan 2015, 02:39 pm »
Hi James,

cheers-

I'm not sure what the software on the BDP can do but as James noted it can't be sent out as DSD and decoded by the BDA-1 or BDA-2.  With JRiver as a software platform, for example, one can tell it to playback stuff above 192kHz at 176.4kHz or 88.2kHz.  I have used it that way on the computer (vs. my music server) when I was transmitting the output to a receiver that could not do DSD.

Phil A

« Reply #807 on: 14 Jan 2015, 02:51 pm »
Hi James,

cheers-

Per this (see page 15) - http://www.audioadvisor.com/pdf/Manic%20Moose%20Manual-S2.04_2014_06_08.pdf

Manic Moose cannot.

Not sure if Mpad (not used it) or one of the other interfaces allows one to playback DSD files at some other resolution.

Phil A

« Reply #808 on: 14 Jan 2015, 03:03 pm »
Hi James,

cheers-

Per this, it looks like it is possible (at least to me) - http://www.ap-linux.com/documentation/playing-audio-in-ap-linux-with-mpd/

dgarratt

« Reply #809 on: 14 Jan 2015, 09:55 pm »
Hi James,

I understand the BDA-1 & BDA-2 can't decode DSD. What I wanted to know is if it's possible to add a feature to the BDP which could be turned on or off where it outputs DSD music as PCM on the fly in software. I know there are more than a few software packages available on linux, mac and windows that can do this.

Hope my question is clear enough..might be a better question for Chris.

cheers-
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2015, 11:50 pm by dgarratt »

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #810 on: 15 Jan 2015, 02:54 am »
Hi James,

I understand the BDA-1 & BDA-2 can't decode DSD. What I wanted to know is if it's possible to add a feature to the BDP which could be turned on or off where it outputs DSD music as PCM on the fly in software. I know there are more than a few software packages available on linux, mac and windows that can do this.

Hope my question is clear enough..might be a better question for Chris.

cheers-

Why don't you simply create 176.4 files from the DSD files your self and have the BDP send those to the DAC.? There are numerous free DSD to PCM convertors.

dgarratt

« Reply #811 on: 15 Jan 2015, 05:13 am »
Why don't you simply create 176.4 files from the DSD files your self and have the BDP send those to the DAC.? There are numerous free DSD to PCM convertors.

Yes, that would be one approach. However I feel this would probably be a relatively easy feature to add the the BDP to save the hassle of converting files manually.

Would you suggest converting all DSD files to 176.4 irrespective of the DSD sample rate?

cheers-

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #812 on: 15 Jan 2015, 05:22 am »
Yes, that would be one approach. However I feel this would probably be a relatively easy feature to add the the BDP to save the hassle of converting files manually.

Would you suggest converting all DSD files to 176.4 irrespective of the DSD sample rate?

cheers-

Yes...it is an even integer of any DSD file.it is not too much of a hassle since you would only have to do it once.

If I may make another suggestion...I love the BDA-1 and still use it so bought an iFi Micro,iDSD for $499 for DSD. Just send your pcm to the BDA via aes/EBU and your DSD to the iIf via USB.

Phil A

« Reply #813 on: 15 Jan 2015, 03:55 pm »
Here is one conversion product - http://samplerateconverter.com/

tatcom

« Reply #814 on: 26 Jan 2015, 09:06 pm »
James, sorry but I need to ask this: are you planning for a future release of the BDA3 with a built in digital or analog pre section? I for sure would very much love to have the shortest possible signal path to the power amps. Am I the only one wishing for this feature, or would anyone back me up on this?

Phil A

« Reply #815 on: 26 Jan 2015, 09:25 pm »
James, sorry but I need to ask this: are you planning for a future release of the BDA3 with a built in digital or analog pre section? I for sure would very much love to have the shortest possible signal path to the power amps. Am I the only one wishing for this feature, or would anyone back me up on this?

I believe James has answered this.  The tentative features of the BDA-3 a few pages back (press release) show no built in preamp.  James has indicated in another thread about a separate digital preamp in the works - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110570.60

Phil A

« Reply #816 on: 26 Jan 2015, 09:28 pm »

Post 648 and a bit prior show the press release info on the BDA-3 FYI

tatcom

« Reply #817 on: 26 Jan 2015, 10:10 pm »
Post 648 and a bit prior show the press release info on the BDA-3 FYI

Yepp, I read the press release and am aware of the preliminary feature set, that's why I was referring to it as a future release ...but revision might have been better put.

scirica

« Reply #818 on: 29 Jan 2015, 05:02 pm »
Yepp, I read the press release and am aware of the preliminary feature set, that's why I was referring to it as a future release ...but revision might have been better put.

That sounds like a whole new product to me, but certainly one that would be very interesting!

mav52

« Reply #819 on: 12 Feb 2015, 01:43 pm »
James any new news on a possible release date for the BDA-3 ?