BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #720 on: 7 Nov 2014, 06:46 pm »
James - so it is this chip?  http://www.akm.com/file.jsp?id=273638

I think so - I would have to ask engineering to be certain.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #721 on: 7 Nov 2014, 06:51 pm »
The bit depth would be 8, 16, 24, etc bits; the bitrate is the number of bits per second which equals the bit depth X the sample rate X the # of channels, usually expressed as bits per second (bps) or kilobits per second (kbps).  16/44.1 has a bitrate of 1411kbps and 24/176.4 has a bitrate of 8467kbps (non-VBR).

Steve

hey, Steve! yes, i was asking for the bit depth. might not be the most useful feature but i think that it would make the new BDP-3 more complete. so it simply tells you everything about the song you are listening to even without a computer or an ipad etc.

al.

werd

« Reply #722 on: 7 Nov 2014, 06:56 pm »
I think so - I would have to ask engineering to be certain.

james

Actually this is a 2ch dac. Is the BDA 3 a multi channel?  :scratch:

srb

« Reply #723 on: 7 Nov 2014, 07:07 pm »
hey, Steve! yes, i was asking for the bit depth. might not be the most useful feature but i think that it would make the new BDP-3 more complete. so it simply tells you everything about the song you are listening to even without a computer or an ipad etc.

Yes, I was just saying you could live without it, but for those scenarios where the bit depth is truncated or manipulated I guess it could come in handy.  You can't have too much information, and I really like the new wave of DACS that have OLED displays that tell all.

I'm sure I will hear from those that say a display adds noise, but the OLED displays are virtually noiseless and are being used in an array of high-end DACs.  If there truly is a noise issue, then the BDP-x components should probably have their displays replaced with LEDs.   ;)

Steve

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #724 on: 7 Nov 2014, 07:14 pm »
...a BDP like display could maybe do the trick. if this display would make too much noise then Bryston wouldn't have used it for sure. i agree that a dac with display is really nice...

al.

R. Daneel

« Reply #725 on: 7 Nov 2014, 08:00 pm »
Hi James!

May I ask how the up-sampling works on the BDA-3?

Is it still the synchronous mode with a whole number factor used? I assume it now operates at 352.8 and 384 kHz (factor of 8 for 44.1 and 48 kHz signals respectively).

How about the DSD modes? Any up-sampling there?

This is purely informative. I tend to play music at it's native sample rate even though up-sampling on the BDA-2 does sometimes create a bit of a difference in the way bass integrates into the mid-range and the way that male vocals sound to me.

Best,
Antun

Claude

« Reply #726 on: 7 Nov 2014, 08:52 pm »
The text on the flyer is not entirely clear on a subject that I'm particularly interested in:

Will the HDMI inputs also accept DSD signals?

Will it be possible to connect an Oppo Blu-ray player over HDMI to the BDA-3 and play SACD (stereo) without having to convert the DSD signal to 24/88.2 PCM in the player?

That feature would be a first on the market of stand-alone DACs (it only exists in some home theatre receivers) and a major selling argument for SACD collectors. The two other DACs with HDMI inputs currently on the market (NAD M51 and Essence) only accept PCM signals.

R. Daneel

« Reply #727 on: 7 Nov 2014, 09:04 pm »
The text on the flyer is not entirely clear on a subject that I'm particularly interested in:

Will it be possible to connect an Oppo Blu-ray player over HDMI to the BDA-3 and play SACD (stereo) without having to convert the DSD signal to 24/88.2 PCM in the player?

That feature would be a first on the market of stand-alone DACs (it only exists in some home theatre receivers) and a major selling argument for SACD collectors. The two other DACs with HDMI inputs currently on the market (NAD M51 and Essence) only accept PCM signals.

DSD is legitimate only through USB.

As for NAD M51, it's intrinsic design limits it to strictly PCM streams. The M51 converts all PCM streams into PWM with it's Zetex 35 bit processor and is thus limited to 192 kHz bandwidth. An extraordinary DAC in any case.

Phil A

« Reply #728 on: 7 Nov 2014, 09:35 pm »
DSD is legitimate only through USB.

As for NAD M51, it's intrinsic design limits it to strictly PCM streams. The M51 converts all PCM streams into PWM with it's Zetex 35 bit processor and is thus limited to 192 kHz bandwidth. An extraordinary DAC in any case.

HDMI 1.2 and above allows for the passing of DSD signals - http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/192/~/differences-between-hdmi-versions-1.1,-1.2,-1.3a,-and-1.4a%3F

Phil A

« Reply #729 on: 7 Nov 2014, 09:39 pm »

That feature would be a first on the market of stand-alone DACs (it only exists in some home theatre receivers) and a major selling argument for SACD collectors. The two other DACs with HDMI inputs currently on the market (NAD M51 and Essence) only accept PCM signals

See post 689 by James:

"No they are standard HDMI connections.  A lot of products now only offer HDMI out instead of COAX - example TV cable boxes. Also DVD players like the OPPO offer SACD output on HDMI which will work with the BDA3.

james"

Phil A

« Reply #730 on: 7 Nov 2014, 09:40 pm »
Actually this is a 2ch dac. Is the BDA 3 a multi channel?  :scratch:

That's what I was seeking to clarify. :scratch:

Claude

« Reply #731 on: 7 Nov 2014, 11:24 pm »
See post 689 by James:

"No they are standard HDMI connections.  A lot of products now only offer HDMI out instead of COAX - example TV cable boxes. Also DVD players like the OPPO offer SACD output on HDMI which will work with the BDA3.

james"

Thanks, but it's still not entirely clear, because Oppo players can output DSD or PCM (DSD converted to 24/88) from SACD, depending on the setting. Will the BDA-3 HDMI input accept DSD?

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #732 on: 7 Nov 2014, 11:53 pm »
That's what I was seeking to clarify. :scratch:
How many analog outputs do you see on the DAC?
2...or 7.1...?

Mag

« Reply #733 on: 8 Nov 2014, 12:59 am »

My understanding though 'Not Official' is. With the HDMI connection 'in' the BDA-3 can process DSD encoded with multi-channel in the bit stream. However you would have to use the HDMI OUT on the BDA-3 to a Multi-Channel processor with compatible HDMI. The Multi-Channel processor can then send the multi-channel signal through 5.1 bypass.

If the DSD bit stream is not encoded with multi-channel. Then the BDA-3 will output to 2 channel analog or HDMI out.

Phil A

« Reply #734 on: 8 Nov 2014, 03:53 am »
How many analog outputs do you see on the DAC?
2...or 7.1...?

There is an HDMI out so until James clarifies the chip and features don't know if multi-channel is possible.  The pic just posted clearly shows just 2-channel analog out - but I was able to see that before on the pics that were not quite as clear.

werd

« Reply #735 on: 8 Nov 2014, 06:18 am »
My understanding though 'Not Official' is. With the HDMI connection 'in' the BDA-3 can process DSD encoded with multi-channel in the bit stream. However you would have to use the HDMI OUT on the BDA-3 to a Multi-Channel processor with compatible HDMI. The Multi-Channel processor can then send the multi-channel signal through 5.1 bypass.

If the DSD bit stream is not encoded with multi-channel. Then the BDA-3 will output to 2 channel analog or HDMI out.

It was you It was you that started this rumour of multi channel. friggen mag  :lol:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #736 on: 8 Nov 2014, 11:04 am »
Hi Folks

Will check with engineering but as I understand it the HDMI will Pass Through 5.1 to an appropriate surround processor.

james

Mag

« Reply #737 on: 8 Nov 2014, 02:08 pm »
It was you It was you that started this rumour of multi channel. friggen mag  :lol:

I was looking at DSD downloads and noticed that there are multi-channel albums. So there must be a way to play them. :smoke:

mav52

« Reply #738 on: 8 Nov 2014, 02:12 pm »
I was looking at DSD downloads and noticed that there are multi-channel albums. So there must be a way to play them. :smoke:

Sure the ExaSound e28 multichannel DAC

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #739 on: 8 Nov 2014, 02:21 pm »
Thanks, but it's still not entirely clear, because Oppo players can output DSD or PCM (DSD converted to 24/88) from SACD, depending on the setting. Will the BDA-3 HDMI input accept DSD?

Hi Claude

The BDA3 will accept SACD on its HDMI inputs, no conversion to PCM is done.

james