BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

Rod_S

Re: BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #700 on: 4 Nov 2014, 07:33 pm »
hmm, the PS3, that must be one of the early versions that could play SACD then I assume.

Phil A

« Reply #701 on: 4 Nov 2014, 07:47 pm »
hmm, the PS3, that must be one of the early versions that could play SACD then I assume.

Correct - got one several years ago.  Took me about a year and a half to find one (on Craigslist) not upgraded beyond firmware 3.55.  If you have SACDs and need the DSD files, it is not a problem.  All you need to do is get a hard drive for someone to put the files on and either get them the discs or a list of what you have on disc (since I'm sure there will be at least some in common) and you can play them.

bmoura

« Reply #702 on: 6 Nov 2014, 03:03 am »
This talk of multi-channel, where are you guys finding multi-channel downloads be it DSD and/or PCM? I haven't come across any yet thus I've only experienced multi-channel via SACD and DVD-Audio discs.

Check Native DSD.Com and Pentatone for Multichannel DSD Downloads.  Native DSD has over 300 and PentaTone has almost 200. 

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #703 on: 6 Nov 2014, 08:42 pm »
James,

the BDA-3 still has no led's to indicate the incoming bitrate. i'd say that this beautiful machine would deserve a feature like this...don't you agree?!?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #704 on: 6 Nov 2014, 08:48 pm »
James,

the BDA-3 still has no led's to indicate the incoming bitrate. i'd say that this beautiful machine would deserve a feature like this...don't you agree?!?

al.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #705 on: 6 Nov 2014, 09:51 pm »
...it's the incoming khz/dsd - not the bitrate (16, 24 or even 32 for example)??

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #706 on: 6 Nov 2014, 10:49 pm »
...it's the incoming khz/dsd - not the bitrate (16, 24 or even 32 for example)??

al.

Oh I see what you mean - no we will not be showing the bit rate on the DAC - the interface (Ipad, Iphone, Computer etc.) shows that on the screen with our BDP Digital Player which goes with the BDA3 or BDA2

james

srb

« Reply #707 on: 6 Nov 2014, 11:14 pm »
The bit depth would be 8, 16, 24, etc bits; the bitrate is the number of bits per second which equals the bit depth X the sample rate X the # of channels, usually expressed as bits per second (bps) or kilobits per second (kbps).  16/44.1 has a bitrate of 1411kbps and 24/176.4 has a bitrate of 8467kbps (non-VBR).

However I don't really think there's much to be missed without displaying the bit depth; every song in my collection that has a sample rate greater than 48KHz is 24-bit except for DSD which is a 1-bit direct stream.

Steve

werd

« Reply #708 on: 6 Nov 2014, 11:54 pm »
There are lots of 24 bit 44khz recordings. Other than that it seems  redundant. I can't think of any other sample rates that might use both?

Phil A

« Reply #709 on: 7 Nov 2014, 03:00 am »
If one were using a player that truncates the bit depth via HDMI and using something like an HDMI audio de-embedder with no computer bit depth display would be useful.  Before I went to file playback, I dragged one of my players over to John Gatski's (of Everything Audio Network) place since the BDA-1 I had at the time was showing me 176.4kHz and the Oppo BDP-83 was showing me 88.2kHz.  He has an ATI sample rate/AD Converter that showed bit depth.  The player that showed 176.4kHz was only passing 16 bit via the de-embedder.

mav52

« Reply #710 on: 7 Nov 2014, 12:43 pm »
Yes it is a new AKM DAC just released and there will be 2 used.

james

James is this it AK4396

R. Daneel

« Reply #711 on: 7 Nov 2014, 03:16 pm »
Hello James!

So, PCM streams are supported up to 384 kHz on the BDA-3?

If possible, can you please provide a more detailed photo of the rear of the BDA-3? I am interested in the HDMI connectors and I can also see there is a lower number count on the more traditional S/PDIF inputs. I know you probably don't this but a photo showing the inside of the machine would be spectacular.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #712 on: 7 Nov 2014, 03:32 pm »
James is this it AK4396

No it is the 4490.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #713 on: 7 Nov 2014, 03:35 pm »
Hello James!

So, PCM streams are supported up to 384 kHz on the BDA-3?

If possible, can you please provide a more detailed photo of the rear of the BDA-3? I am interested in the HDMI connectors and I can also see there is a lower number count on the more traditional S/PDIF inputs. I know you probably don't this but a photo showing the inside of the machine would be spectacular.

Cheers!
Antun

Tympani

« Reply #714 on: 7 Nov 2014, 03:40 pm »
While you're at it, how about a detailed front view as well, James. Thanks!!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #715 on: 7 Nov 2014, 03:42 pm »
While you're at it, how about a detailed front view as well, James. Thanks!!

R. Daneel

« Reply #716 on: 7 Nov 2014, 04:21 pm »
Interesting, interesting!!

The upper HDMI connectors suggest there is a second smaller PCB on top of the larger lower one.

Having two USB ports means you can have it connected to the BDP and a computer at the same time. Although there seems to be no purpose to that since BDP does all that a computer does, just infinitely better.

I'd prefer to see a lower number of HDMI inputs and a higher number of S/PDIF inputs though. However, my needs are different from that of other people so it was a logical choice to include 4 HDMI inputs.

Sadly, at this moment I don't have a single DSD music title and with respect to everything I had read and heard from people who produce music, it is a utopia to get a pure DSD recording done right, without having to convert it to PCM at one point. Very little effects processing is applied during mixing of classical recordings but even slight volume adjustments are problematic with DSD so the whole "movement" stands on questionable foundation. That is what one of the producers of classical music told me. But, people want it and so manufacturers have to listen.

In any case, I'd buy a DSD DAC from no one else but Bryston if I had a need for one. I am not even convinced that DACs that cost literally three times as much as the BDA-2 sound superior. What I can say is that they sound slightly different, sometimes more resolving at the expense of natural music flow and sometimes smoother at the expense of micro-dynamics. To put it differently, if I do end up owning another DAC, the BDA-2 will by no means become redundant, let alone sold because I do feel like it is a long-term value and owning it makes me proud. As a lover of analogue tape, I now see that what sounded spectacular years ago, still sounds spectacular and BDA-2 is certainly in the "spectacular league".

Cheers!
Antun

mav52

« Reply #717 on: 7 Nov 2014, 04:48 pm »
No it is the 4490.

james

James thanks for the information.

Phil A

« Reply #718 on: 7 Nov 2014, 06:42 pm »

werd

« Reply #719 on: 7 Nov 2014, 06:46 pm »
James - so it is this chip?  http://www.akm.com/file.jsp?id=273638

I was looking for the mono mode on the multi channel chips for AKM and there wasn't any I could see. That's why's I thought it was a single chip. This one has mono mode.