BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

gdayton

• Industry Participant
Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #660 on: 29 Oct 2014, 01:20 am »
For what it's worth, the BDP-2 puts out DSD using DoP which is not a conversion to PCM. The data rate for 176kHz/16 bit PCM is the same as DSD-64, so the extra 8 bits are simply used to flag the DAC that the incoming data is DSD instead of PCM. So, you're still getting unadulterated DSD from the BDP even with DoP.

-Gary

smilach

« Reply #661 on: 29 Oct 2014, 04:17 am »
Now I need someone to sell me their silver BDA-2 to help fund their purchase of a new BDA-3 !!  :thumb:

Rod_S

« Reply #662 on: 29 Oct 2014, 11:41 am »
Hi Rod

Nothing planned beyond the BDP2 and I assume any upgrade would be software based as the computing power in the BDP2 is substantial.   No other way to do DSD legally other than USB so do not see changes there either.

james

That sounds good, I'm definitely looking forward to getting the BDP-2.

So for our PCM based collection of music, just to clarify that part of my question better, for example can our FLAC files at all their resolutions be transmitted to a DAC via the BDP's USB or does the PCM stuff we have need to use one of the other outputs perhaps because the USB out does not support certain PCM resolutions, say anything higher than 96/24 as an example?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #663 on: 29 Oct 2014, 11:49 am »
That sounds good, I'm definitely looking forward to getting the BDP-2.

So for our PCM based collection of music, just to clarify that part of my question better, for example can our FLAC files at all their resolutions be transmitted to a DAC via the BDP's USB or does the PCM stuff we have need to use one of the other outputs perhaps because the USB out does not support certain PCM resolutions, say anything higher than 96/24 as an example?

Hi Rod,

The USB out on the BDP2 will support all PCM sample rates up to 192/24 in all formats - Flac, AIFF, Wave, Apple Lossless etc.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #664 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:56 pm »
Hi Rod,

The USB out on the BDP2 will support all PCM sample rates up to 192/24 in all formats - Flac, AIFF, Wave, Apple Lossless etc.

james

Thanks

shortcuttomoncton

Re: BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #665 on: 29 Oct 2014, 04:01 pm »
Is there a trigger out?  It's a bit blurry on my screen but I only see Trigger In on the right...?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #666 on: 29 Oct 2014, 04:19 pm »
Is there a trigger out?  It's a bit blurry on my screen but I only see Trigger In on the right...?

Trigger in only.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #667 on: 29 Oct 2014, 05:18 pm »
...so the BDA-2 is going to disappear??

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #668 on: 29 Oct 2014, 05:43 pm »
...so the BDA-2 is going to disappear??

al.

No - not at all.  Unless you want DSD and HDMI stick with the BDA2

james

shortcuttomoncton

« Reply #669 on: 29 Oct 2014, 05:53 pm »
Trigger in only.

james
Can I ask why some manufacturers choose not to use a trigger out?  A DAC like the BDA will feed a preamp and amp.  If the DAC turns on with trigger-in, then I need to go and manually/remotely turn on my preamp and have it trigger my amp.  Is there an issue I am not seeing about having the DAC trigger the preamp, which triggers the amp - in other words, the source conveniently triggering the entire chain?  From that perspective, I have always thought that if you had to choose one, you would choose to only have a trigger-out on a DAC source, not a trigger in. 

I went through this issue last year with my NAD M51 DAC - one of the common complaints against it was that there was a trigger in but no trigger out.  It was one of the reasons I eventually sold it.  I noticed that NAD recently updated the M51 and it now includes a 12v trigger out....

Interested in your thoughts on this issue - perhaps there is a concern I have not thought of.  Many thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #670 on: 29 Oct 2014, 06:03 pm »
Can I ask why some manufacturers choose not to use a trigger out?  A DAC like the BDA will feed a preamp and amp.  If the DAC turns on with trigger-in, then I need to go and manually/remotely turn on my preamp and have it trigger my amp.  Is there an issue I am not seeing about having the DAC trigger the preamp, which triggers the amp - in other words, the source conveniently triggering the entire chain?  From that perspective, I have always thought that if you had to choose one, you would choose to only have a trigger-out on a DAC source, not a trigger in. 

I went through this issue last year with my NAD M51 DAC - one of the common complaints against it was that there was a trigger in but no trigger out.  It was one of the reasons I eventually sold it.  I noticed that NAD recently updated the M51 and it now includes a 12v trigger out....

Interested in your thoughts on this issue - perhaps there is a concern I have not thought of.  Many thanks!

Hi

You can attached the wires to the trigger IN on the BDA3 and another set in the same trigger IN socket to trigger the next component.  You do not need a separate trigger OUT as the triggers would be in series with the source component.  So in our case the BP26 preamp trigger output would attach to the BDA3 and would turn it on when you turn on the preamp and then the BDA3 would pass the trigger voltage on to the next component in the line.

Hope this make sense.

james

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #671 on: 29 Oct 2014, 06:17 pm »
I'd like to see an IR input on the back.

So, the BDA3 will have the same sound as the BDA2 for PCM?
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2014, 11:26 pm by Grit »

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #672 on: 29 Oct 2014, 11:35 pm »
Hi Joey

We are looking at adding DSD to the SP3 but a ways off at this point.

james

Question for you James.  Would that addition require a hardware change? And if so, would it change the DACs?

- Garrett

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #673 on: 30 Oct 2014, 12:44 am »
Question for you James.  Would that addition require a hardware change? And if so, would it change the DACs?

- Garrett

It would need a new USB board as far as I know.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #674 on: 30 Oct 2014, 12:10 pm »
For what it's worth, the BDP-2 puts out DSD using DoP which is not a conversion to PCM. The data rate for 176kHz/16 bit PCM is the same as DSD-64, so the extra 8 bits are simply used to flag the DAC that the incoming data is DSD instead of PCM. So, you're still getting unadulterated DSD from the BDP even with DoP.

-Gary

Good to know, thanks

R. Daneel

« Reply #675 on: 1 Nov 2014, 03:20 pm »
Hi James!

This is exciting albeit a bit sudden. I didn't expect to see a DSD-capable DAC so soon.

I have a few guestions:

1) We already discussed the matter of DSD implementation into your BDA-2 DAC and your concern then was that DSD capability would require bypassing of the sample-rate converter which would increadse jitter and compromise PCM performance of the DAC. The obvious solution to this problem, as you explained it, was to have two separate circuits, one dedicated solely to PCM decoding and the other to DSD decoding. My question is: is this approach now being employed in the BDA-3 DAC?

2) Your products are developed on the basis of technological research as well as listening tests. How much would I be benefitting from the BDA-3 over my existing BDA-2 when it comes to PCM playback? Would there be an improvement in audio quality over the BDA-2 DAC?

3) Everyone is talking about BDP-2 and it's compatibility with DSD. How do the things stand with the BDP-1 player? Does it allow same compatibility?

Cheers!
Antun

Servingthemusic.com

« Reply #676 on: 1 Nov 2014, 03:40 pm »
Hi James!

This is exciting albeit a bit sudden. I didn't expect to see a DSD-capable DAC so soon.

I have a few guestions:

1) We already discussed the matter of DSD implementation into your BDA-2 DAC and your concern then was that DSD capability would require bypassing of the sample-rate converter which would increadse jitter and compromise PCM performance of the DAC. The obvious solution to this problem, as you explained it, was to have two separate circuits, one dedicated solely to PCM decoding and the other to DSD decoding. My question is: is this approach now being employed in the BDA-3 DAC?

2) Your products are developed on the basis of technological research as well as listening tests. How much would I be benefitting from the BDA-3 over my existing BDA-2 when it comes to PCM playback? Would there be an improvement in audio quality over the BDA-2 DAC?

3) Everyone is talking about BDP-2 and it's compatibility with DSD. How do the things stand with the BDP-1 player? Does it allow same compatibility?

Cheers!
Antun

Superb questions.

Going on Bryston's track record, they probably did everything correctly on an engineering level.

The fact they waited this long to implement DSD and make other changes to the design is clear proof of their integrity.

As a BDA-1 owner, I have heard nothing better...but the BDA-3 may be my calling for upgrade.

Mag

« Reply #677 on: 1 Nov 2014, 08:25 pm »
I'm excited about multi-channel dsd dac! :hyper:

Without 5.1 analog outs however the cost for me would be too much. Since the SP2 doesn't have HDMI, I would have to purchase another multi-channel sound processor in addition to the BDA-3 and shelve the SP2. :(

And how much does it cost to download sacd, is the price reasonable?

Alpha10

« Reply #678 on: 2 Nov 2014, 03:59 pm »
Not sure if I missed it in the thread, but, is the BDA3 using the same DAC chips as the BDA2?

Cheers

Rod_S

« Reply #679 on: 2 Nov 2014, 04:12 pm »
No it's different