BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

Phil A

Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #640 on: 28 Oct 2014, 07:23 pm »
Was not able to see the pictures on the post above by mav52.  So I guess this will be like the prior DACs but also have an HDMI input?  If so, cool!

joey116

« Reply #641 on: 28 Oct 2014, 07:49 pm »
$3195 list

Is this technology going to offered as upgrade to other Bryston components... SP3 etc.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #642 on: 28 Oct 2014, 08:24 pm »
James,

i believe that you mentioned in an earlier thread that DSD via HDMI would have some jitter issues. if so, how did Bryston solve this problem with the new BDA-3?

al.

Rod_S

« Reply #643 on: 28 Oct 2014, 08:29 pm »
Whoa!, what?

Is there a list of specs on this?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #644 on: 28 Oct 2014, 08:37 pm »
Is this technology going to offered as upgrade to other Bryston components... SP3 etc.

Hi Joey

We are looking at adding DSD to the SP3 but a ways off at this point.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #645 on: 28 Oct 2014, 08:38 pm »
James,

i believe that you mentioned in an earlier thread that DSD via HDMI would have some jitter issues. if so, how did Bryston solve this problem with the new BDA-3?

al.

Hi al

No way to solve - HDMI is still going to have more jitter than other connections.

james

mav52

« Reply #646 on: 28 Oct 2014, 08:39 pm »
$3195 list

Well I'm going to buy one, I've been waiting for this one.   :dance:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #647 on: 28 Oct 2014, 08:40 pm »
Whoa!, what?

Is there a list of specs on this?

Hi Rod

Will have specs shortly but we are still in prototype stage so some small changes may be happening.

james

mav52

« Reply #648 on: 28 Oct 2014, 08:48 pm »

Was not able to see the pictures on the post above by mav52.  So I guess this will be like the prior DACs but also have an HDMI input?  If so, cool!

I will try to post the 2 pictures

Marius

« Reply #649 on: 28 Oct 2014, 09:26 pm »
HI James,

exciting news! congrats on the BDA3.

will you be offering options to have more Spdif connections instead of the multitude of HDMI's? Im in need of extra optical nuts already, and have a full set op spdifs on the BDa1, so this BDA3 set would really be a setback....

id love the 10 inputs, but need to have them in different formats, would be wonderful to accommodate that.

Also, since your still in beta, could you provide for a second balanced out?  that way we could feed it to both the bP26 and the BHA1 without any issues, long awaited that one!

Cheers, and again, congrats on an industry leading machine!

Marius

Rod_S

« Reply #650 on: 28 Oct 2014, 09:31 pm »
Hi Rod

Will have specs shortly but we are still in prototype stage so some small changes may be happening.

james

Sounds good, thanks James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #651 on: 28 Oct 2014, 09:33 pm »
HI James,

exciting news! congrats on the BDA3.

will you be offering options to have more Spdif connections instead of the multitude of HDMI's? Im in need of extra optical nuts already, and have a full set op spdifs on the BDa1, so this BDA3 set would really be a setback....

id love the 10 inputs, but need to have them in different formats, would be wonderful to accommodate that.

Also, since your still in beta, could you provide for a second balanced out?  that way we could feed it to both the bP26 and the BHA1 without any issues, long awaited that one!

Cheers, and again, congrats on an industry leading machine!

Marius

Hi Marius

I do not think there will be 2 AES but we may be able to offer different versions of the SPDIF connections.

James

Marius

« Reply #652 on: 28 Oct 2014, 10:03 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb:
Awesome!

Please have some extra thought on the 2nd balanced out, and a deal is in the making!
Very exiting this is.

Marius

Hi Marius

I do not think there will be 2 AES but we may be able to offer different versions of the SPDIF connections.

James

Phil A

« Reply #653 on: 28 Oct 2014, 11:13 pm »
I will try to post the 2 pictures

Thanks for the pics.  I sent an e-mail to my friend Karl to see if he is going to get one to review for the Absolute Sound (he did the BDA-2 review and I called him when I found out as I was about to pull the trigger on a DSD DAC and wanted to know if he knew if DSD was planned).

Rod_S

« Reply #654 on: 29 Oct 2014, 12:34 am »
So in reading the posted photos I see that it says DSDx4 natively, how does this relate to using the BDP-2 for DSD then? I know that the BDP does DoP, what was it via the USB?? so that implies a conversion of the DSD signal. In order to keep the DSD native would that mean this is something that can not yet be done via the BDP-2 and we would need another player in order to do that?

Another question, what's the difference between DSDx4 and DSD512 which is also mentioned? Is DSDx4 DSD256? If so does that then mean the DBA-3 can not decode DSD512(i.e. DSDx8???) natively?

It's odd seeing HDMI inputs/outputs on a DAC. To bad my Denon DVD-A1 didn't output SACD at it's native resolution over HDMI, it is unfortunately limited to 16/44.1. The native resolution can only be output via DenonLink or analog.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #655 on: 29 Oct 2014, 12:39 am »
:thumb: :thumb:
Awesome!

Please have some extra thought on the 2nd balanced out, and a deal is in the making!
Very exiting this is.

Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #656 on: 29 Oct 2014, 12:45 am »
So in reading the posted photos I see that it says DSDx4 natively, how does this relate to using the BDP-2 for DSD then? I know that the BDP does DoP, what was it via the USB?? so that implies a conversion of the DSD signal. In order to keep the DSD native would that mean this is something that can not yet be done via the BDP-2 and we would need another player in order to do that?

Another question, what's the difference between DSDx4 and DSD512 which is also mentioned? Is DSDx4 DSD256? If so does that then mean the DBA-3 can not decode DSD512(i.e. DSDx8???) natively?

It's odd seeing HDMI inputs/outputs on a DAC. To bad my Denon DVD-A1 didn't output SACD at it's native resolution over HDMI, it is unfortunately limited to 16/44.1. The native resolution can only be output via DenonLink or analog.

Yes currently the BDP2 does DSD DOP but going forward we will look at other options in software.

Yes DSD512 is DSDx4 (which is really theoretical at this point as I am not aware of any material available)

james

Rod_S

« Reply #657 on: 29 Oct 2014, 01:07 am »
Yes currently the BDP2 does DSD DOP but going forward we will look at other options in software.

Yes DSD512 is DSDx4 (which is really theoretical at this point as I am not aware of any material available)

james

So just to confirm, DSD512 is DSDx4, not DSD256? So many numbers I just want to make sure I understand things correctly :)

Very interesting, I like that you are going to look to see if the current BDP platform can output DSD natively with a software update. My plan was and perhaps still is to get the BDP-2 with my income tax, do you think you would know by tax season if that's doable? I really want the player but would certainly hold off for a BDP-3 so to speak if you discover new hardware would be necessary to pull off DSD native output and it was a feature you wanted to offer customers in a product.

Setting aside DSD native output for the moment, since a USB cable is necessary for that and DOP are all of the PCM resolutions also output via the USB or would one still need to connect another cable (i.e. toslink, SPDIF, AES/EBU) to do the PCM magic?

Thanks

Rod_S

« Reply #658 on: 29 Oct 2014, 01:09 am »
One more thing, what version is your HDMI implementation in the BDA-3? If you want to wait to disclose that, no worries, I understand.

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #659 on: 29 Oct 2014, 01:18 am »
So just to confirm, DSD512 is DSDx4, not DSD256? So many numbers I just want to make sure I understand things correctly :)

Very interesting, I like that you are going to look to see if the current BDP platform can output DSD natively with a software update. My plan was and perhaps still is to get the BDP-2 with my income tax, do you think you would know by tax season if that's doable? I really want the player but would certainly hold off for a BDP-3 so to speak if you discover new hardware would be necessary to pull off DSD native output and it was a feature you wanted to offer customers in a product.

Setting aside DSD native output for the moment, since a USB cable is necessary for that and DOP are all of the PCM resolutions also output via the USB or would one still need to connect another cable (i.e. toslink, SPDIF, AES/EBU) to do the PCM magic?

Thanks

Hi Rod

Nothing planned beyond the BDP2 and I assume any upgrade would be software based as the computing power in the BDP2 is substantial.   No other way to do DSD legally other than USB so do not see changes there either.

james