BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

speltz

Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #580 on: 27 Jul 2014, 11:39 pm »
I read this entire thread over the past few days. I am now in a position (financially, that is) to purchase a BDA-2 to complement the BDP-1 I've owned for about 20 months.

No one has offered a review of hi-res files on the BDA-2 compared to the BDA-1. I understand that's one of the benefits of the 32-bit DAC chips. One of the articles James linked to referred to the extra headroom of the 32-bit chip, which (it is claimed) means that 24-bit signal doesn't have to be truncated during processing.

Elsewhere, I have read that a 24-bit chip can't really deliver 24 bits -- presumably for the reason given above, the need for some headroom.

That's the main reason I am inclined to pay the extra $$ for the BDA-2. The USB upgrade doesn't sway me since I use a BDP-1 as my source.

Those claims about 32-bit chips appeal to me, however: I bought the BDP-1 in large part because I wanted to take advantage of the availability of hi-res files.

Anyone care to comment on this? Theory is one thing, real-world experience another. Thanks!

werd

« Reply #581 on: 29 Jul 2014, 10:59 pm »
I had both in house at the same time. The BDA1 sounds more like the BCD. Its also in more of the SST sounding circuitry. The Bda2 represents what would be more in line with the SSt2 sounding stuff.

Just get the Bda2 and be done with it.

R. Daneel

« Reply #582 on: 30 Jul 2014, 04:07 pm »
I read this entire thread over the past few days. I am now in a position (financially, that is) to purchase a BDA-2 to complement the BDP-1 I've owned for about 20 months.

No one has offered a review of hi-res files on the BDA-2 compared to the BDA-1. I understand that's one of the benefits of the 32-bit DAC chips. One of the articles James linked to referred to the extra headroom of the 32-bit chip, which (it is claimed) means that 24-bit signal doesn't have to be truncated during processing.

Elsewhere, I have read that a 24-bit chip can't really deliver 24 bits -- presumably for the reason given above, the need for some headroom.

That's the main reason I am inclined to pay the extra $$ for the BDA-2. The USB upgrade doesn't sway me since I use a BDP-1 as my source.

Those claims about 32-bit chips appeal to me, however: I bought the BDP-1 in large part because I wanted to take advantage of the availability of hi-res files.

Anyone care to comment on this? Theory is one thing, real-world experience another. Thanks!

Most digital systems cannot live up to 24 bit resolution. In theory, with a 24 bit system you should have 144dB of dynamic range. Modern DACs like the BDA-2 and others achieve around 21bit effective resolution but even this is enough to reproduce a dynamically realistic performance.

BDA-2 sounds a bit more resolving than BDA-1. There is a little bit more detail and the highs seem to be somewhat smoother. The deepest notes on the BDA-1 seemed a tad soft sometimes but I cannot really say this is true for the BDA-2, it is as hard as the recording will allow. Imaging is on the same level with both DACs but improved resolution of the BDA-2 helps to create an even more immersive image with a more precise instrument positioning. In terms of neutrality, they are both excellent.

BDA-1 is slightly cheaper, at least over here, and I do believe that BDA-2 jusfifies that difference.

I hope this helps!
Cheers!
Antun

speltz

« Reply #583 on: 30 Jul 2014, 04:42 pm »
Thanks, Werd and Antun! It's always tempting to save a few bucks but I expect I'll opt for the BDA-2.

Antun's comment about smooth highs is a relevant consideration: my system is somewhat bright. Likely either my pre-amp (an older but good SimAudio model) or my speakers (MartinLogan electrostatics, but at the low end of their price range) are at fault. I'm not ready to upgrade either of those in the short term.

werd

« Reply #584 on: 30 Jul 2014, 09:02 pm »
Thanks, Werd and Antun! It's always tempting to save a few bucks but I expect I'll opt for the BDA-2.

Antun's comment about smooth highs is a relevant consideration: my system is somewhat bright. Likely either my pre-amp (an older but good SimAudio model) or my speakers (MartinLogan electrostatics, but at the low end of their price range) are at fault. I'm not ready to upgrade either of those in the short term.

I can fix bright.

gene9p

« Reply #585 on: 30 Jul 2014, 09:08 pm »
there are great deals to be found on the BDA-1. Audio Advisor is selling them new in silver and black  for 1499..free shipping ..no tax...used ones are going for great prices now as well on audiogon.com.

I myself have the BDA-1 and love it. I have not used a BDA-2 so I cannot say which sounds better, but the A-1 is an  outstanding DAC that is very affordable right now.

speltz

« Reply #586 on: 31 Jul 2014, 01:23 am »
I can fix bright.
Yes? Do tell.

werd

« Reply #587 on: 31 Jul 2014, 07:45 pm »
Yes? Do tell.

Its easier to dial back more rigid sounding treble than it is adding. Is there a volume it starts at or it continually "bright right from lower volumes to higher? Is there a volume setting that sounds dialed back or better than others. Whats you dac pre and amp?

speltz

« Reply #588 on: 1 Aug 2014, 01:18 am »
I haven't noticed any connection to volume, although I listen at a fairly loud volume consistently. I like the instruments to have a certain weightiness to them, if that makes sense.

And I shouldn't exaggerate the severity of the problem. I notice it most with high pitched instruments: a flute or vibraphones, for example. I can hear a certain exaggerated resonance when the vibraphones get to a particular frequency, though I couldn't identify the frequency for you.

Otherwise it is only obvious with poorly recorded CDs that have a lot of digital glare in their own right. The brightness isn't a problem most of the time, which is why I haven't felt any urgency about replacing any of my gear on that account.

My DAC is a SimAudio Moon 300D. I'm curious to see how much of an improvement the BDA-2 delivers.

My preamp is the first edition of the SimAudio Moon P-5. It dates from c. 1998, if I remember correctly. SimAudio was just creating the "Moon" series at the time, and in fact my P-5 has Celeste on the remote. The faceplate is the old SimAudio logo -- it doesn't say "Moon" anywhere, although the next edition of the P-5 had the Moon logo.

I have two YBA3 power amps set up as monoblocks. Again, quite old -- older than my pre-amp, even -- but I really like the sound of them.

werd

« Reply #589 on: 1 Aug 2014, 07:01 am »
You will notice a big difference in dacs. The BDA is dual dac configs. Its going to give you more weight and stiffness. Adding the Bda may either clean up this issue or tell you it was never the dac to begin with.

What you got now is a decent system synergy, You are using a single dac output (as opposed to dual dac) into a dual mono pre amp and then onto mono blocks. Its this configuration that contributes big time weight and stiffness of your soundstage. Especially a stiff soundstage. Thats what mono blocks and dual mono preamps are great at. You dac brings it back a bit and loosens it up just enough. That configuration is good. What you are doing now is adding a dual config dac. Almost all dual dacs are great for weight and a stiff soundstage. But they are not cheap. However this config is really going to make it sound rigid. It can sound good but it can also amplify any sibiliance. And you almost always want a low gain preamp to bring down the system gain.

My personal preference are dual dac outputs into a NON dual mono pre amp and they back into mono blocks. Exactly the same style Bryston fashions their systems like. This gives you great weight and stiffness while regular preamp holds it back just enough to keep for sounding too clinical and ridged. Plus you can use preamps that are into 20db and over range.

What you need to do though is properly rack your source. This is paramount in working out any added sibiliance through vibration. Usually racks for source are equally as good for preamps. IOW they fit under preamps too. With a good source you rack you can trouble shoot the preamp.

What do you have your amps on? Plus what cabling are you using?

R. Daneel

« Reply #590 on: 16 Aug 2014, 03:05 pm »
Hi!

Incredibly, but it looks like I will have to connect my new BDP-1 to the BDA-2 via USB cable. Does that work?

None of the dealers here have an AES/EBU cable on stock. One of them even bragged about he can get it "as soon as" 10th of October!!! Hilarious!!!

Cheers!
Antun

werd

« Reply #591 on: 16 Aug 2014, 05:09 pm »
No, you can use a rca digital or  xlr digital. Do you have any component video cables around, those work.

R. Daneel

« Reply #592 on: 16 Aug 2014, 06:56 pm »
No, you can use a rca digital or  xlr digital. Do you have any component video cables around, those work.

You mean like a coaxial antenna cable? I might have one lying around. The thing is, my BDA-2 has no BNC connectors. It was a special order on my request so I only have RCA for other equipment.

srb

« Reply #593 on: 16 Aug 2014, 07:23 pm »
You mean like a coaxial antenna cable? I might have one lying around.

No, component video (analog) was the precursor to HDMI (digital) and consisted of three 75 ohm RCA (or BNC for pro use) coaxial cables with Red, Blue and Green color coded ends.  The 75 ohm spec is the same as is required for S/PDIF coaxial digital audio.

Music stores such as Guitar Center often stock 110 ohm AES/EBU digital audio cables.

Steve

R. Daneel

« Reply #594 on: 17 Aug 2014, 07:48 am »
No, component video (analog) was the precursor to HDMI (digital) and consisted of three 75 ohm RCA (or BNC for pro use) coaxial cables with Red, Blue and Green color coded ends.  The 75 ohm spec is the same as is required for S/PDIF coaxial digital audio.

Music stores such as Guitar Center often stock 110 ohm AES/EBU digital audio cables.

Steve

Oh I see! Thanks Steve!

Unfortunately, I don't have a component cable but I might be able to source an AES cable from internet. As one of my friends said, dealers here are nothing more than glorified order takers. An audition is a term they do not know.

Cheers!

Gerard

« Reply #595 on: 19 Aug 2014, 03:13 pm »
Can I control my BDA-2 with the Harmony 350 remote? According to Logitech Bryston is supported, but al that works after installation is the standby button! :scratch: I would like to select input and control up-sampling function with the remote. Help much appreciated!
Gerard

werd

« Reply #596 on: 19 Aug 2014, 03:25 pm »

Steve

Any xlr will work. But the ones that try and get as close to 110ohm are the best for digital.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #597 on: 19 Aug 2014, 03:27 pm »
Can I control my BDA-2 with the Harmony 350 remote? According to Logitech Bryston is supported, but al that works after installation is the standby button! :scratch: I would like to select input and control up-sampling function with the remote. Help much appreciated!
Gerard

Email Mike Pickett on that one - mpickett@bryston.com

james

Gerard

« Reply #598 on: 20 Aug 2014, 11:30 am »
Thanx James, I will.
Gerard

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #599 on: 20 Aug 2014, 11:59 am »
My thoughts:
a] SPDIF is an unbalanced coax interconnect with a RCA (or BNC) connector. It has a 75 Ohm Characteristic Impedance.
b] AES/EBU is an balanced twisted pair (STP) with a XLR connector. It has a 110 Ohm Characteristic Impedance.
c] The longer the cable the more important the Characteristic Impedance is. (at  1 meter not much. at 10 meters very)
d] Good US providers for specialty cables are Markertek and Redco.