BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

werd

Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #520 on: 5 Jan 2014, 02:51 pm »
First post here, please forgive if it's not that appropriate.

I bought my BDA-2 in Spain a couple of weeks ago and I've got a couple of questions and suggestions:

a) How do you feed it? Currently I'm using the USB input but I'd like to know if that's the preferred/recommended option. If you're willing to share which player you're using, it'd be helpful. I'm a Windows user.

b) Fortunately, my main system runs Windows 7. I tried to install the drivers  in a Surface Pro running Windows 8.1 and didn't succeed. Are drivers for this Windows version being released any time soon?

c) DSD. Is new firmware being developed to support DSD?

safest bet is Xlr into the dac.

espilva

« Reply #521 on: 7 Jan 2014, 12:12 pm »
XLR into the DAC? The BDA-2 features 2 XLR outputs. Its inputs are USB Class 2, 4x SPDIF (2 BNC, 2 RCA), 2x Optical (TOSLINK), AES/EBU.

srb

« Reply #522 on: 7 Jan 2014, 01:49 pm »
XLR into the DAC? The BDA-2 features 2 XLR outputs. Its inputs are USB Class 2, 4x SPDIF (2 BNC, 2 RCA), 2x Optical (TOSLINK), AES/EBU.

XLR only refers to the physical connector type.  The BDA-2's pair of balanced analog stereo outputs use XLR connectors.  The AES/EBU balanced digital input also uses an XLR connector.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #523 on: 9 Jan 2014, 04:08 am »
First post here, please forgive if it's not that appropriate.

I bought my BDA-2 in Spain a couple of weeks ago and I've got a couple of questions and suggestions:

a) How do you feed it? Currently I'm using the USB input but I'd like to know if that's the preferred/recommended option. If you're willing to share which player you're using, it'd be helpful. I'm a Windows user.

Typically people buy a 2.5 USB drive of 1 TB or so.  Load it with all your files from your PC and attache it to the BDP. Then use your computer or iPhone or iPad etc. to interface with the songs on the USB drive,

b) Fortunately, my main system runs Windows 7. I tried to install the drivers  in a Surface Pro running Windows 8.1 and didn't succeed. Are drivers for this Windows version being released any time soon?

Email Mike Pickett on this one please  mpicket@bryston.com

c) DSD. Is new firmware being developed to support DSD?

Looking at it but there are so many variations it will probably be a hardware and software change is needed.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #524 on: 9 Jan 2014, 01:53 pm »
Looking at it but there are so many variations it will probably be a hardware and software change is needed.

james

You mean a harware change for the DSD support? What sort of a change are we talking about here?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #525 on: 9 Jan 2014, 02:02 pm »
You mean a harware change for the DSD support? What sort of a change are we talking about here?

Cheers!
Antun

HI

Not sure yet as there are many versions of DSD - DOP DSD 64, DSD 128, Native DSD and now talk of higher DSD up to over 500 as well.

This all affects what DACs are used as well as how the circuit handles the switch between DSD and PCM.  DSD 64 is relatively easy to implement in exiting DAC's and players but moving all the way to Native DSD is a new ballgame.  Most of the units we have looked at now do DSD 64.

If we are going to move into DSD playback then I want o make sure we cover any potential changes going forward.

james

espilva

« Reply #526 on: 9 Jan 2014, 04:36 pm »
Please make sure that current units are upgradeable at a reasonable cost.

R. Daneel

« Reply #527 on: 9 Jan 2014, 05:19 pm »
HI

Not sure yet as there are many versions of DSD - DOP DSD 64, DSD 128, Native DSD and now talk of higher DSD up to over 500 as well.

This all affects what DACs are used as well as how the circuit handles the switch between DSD and PCM.  DSD 64 is relatively easy to implement in exiting DAC's and players but moving all the way to Native DSD is a new ballgame.  Most of the units we have looked at now do DSD 64.

If we are going to move into DSD playback then I want o make sure we cover any potential changes going forward.

james

Understood! But one cannot say for certain DSD is a viable format, right? It still might go south. Not because it is inferior but because an enormous percentage of recordings are mastered for PCM. It is also the reason why some SACDs don't sound nearly as spectacular as they should.

Frankly, I didn't even know there were so many versions of DSD but I take it the BDA-2 will be able to decode at least one of them with just software upgrade and no changes to the hardware. Am I correct to assume that?

One other thing - DSD is possible only through USB connection, right? If so, then the BDP doesn't use it's hardware Envy24 processor for this but instead, the decoding is done by software and the main CPU in the BDP. I would take on-chip hardware processing over software processing any day of the week. That was always my experience with computers.

I would also say it would probably be a good idea to have a software feature in the BDP that would convert any DSD format to PCM and then output it as such to the BDA. That would at least ensure maximum compatibility with owners of older DACs as it now seems even the BDA-2 won't be able to support all of the formats.

What are your thoughts on this, James?

Cheers!
Antun

jhameeh

« Reply #528 on: 11 Jan 2014, 08:04 am »
Trying to update the BDA-2 firmware. I used the serial cable and tripplite keyspan usb and placed the BDA-2 on stand by. I use this cable for my Anthem D2V RS232 for room correction and updating firmware and its working.

I tried to used it on BDA-2 and I am hoping the dialog box will appear but its not. Any suggestions?

R. Daneel

« Reply #529 on: 11 Jan 2014, 03:20 pm »
I don't understand. Why are you trying to install new firmware when there is none available?

Cheers!
Antun

jhameeh

« Reply #530 on: 11 Jan 2014, 03:25 pm »
I don't understand. Why are you trying to install new firmware when there is none available?
Cheers!
Antun

I didn't know that there is none. And also don't know if my firmware is latest.

But if there is a new firmware, how will I update if the basic connection is not working?

Cheers.

R. Daneel

« Reply #531 on: 11 Jan 2014, 03:57 pm »
If there is no new firmware available, then firmware in your BDA-2 is the same as in my mine and doesn't need updating.

BDA-1 has been out for several years now and I am not aware of any firmware updates for it so clearly there won't be any for BDA-2 either. Not until the DSD capabitility is ready.

Cheers!
Antun

jhameeh

« Reply #532 on: 11 Jan 2014, 06:26 pm »
Have you tried to use a serial cable to check if your firmware is latest?

I want to confirm if using serial cable is working or not. So that in case, as you said, DSD is ready, I can update without any problems.

Cheers!

Heckler75

« Reply #533 on: 27 Jan 2014, 01:21 pm »
was looking at a BDA-2  (currently own BDA-1)      how  much,  has the sound quality improved (sonic difference)   over the bda-1

was looking,  as  upgrade  to usb.

anybody  do   a  side by side comparison

Cheers

R. Daneel

« Reply #534 on: 28 Jan 2014, 03:31 pm »
was looking at a BDA-2  (currently own BDA-1)      how  much,  has the sound quality improved (sonic difference)   over the bda-1

was looking,  as  upgrade  to usb.

anybody  do   a  side by side comparison

Cheers

Just remember that BDA-1 and BDA-2 have different output levels and the BDA-2 has a slightly lower level on it's outputs due to fact it's AKM converters have lower voltage output than the Crystal converters in the BDA-1. You can use a BR-2 remote control to decrease the level of the BDA-1 to match it to the BDA-2.

I think you will find that the newer BDA-2 has a sound image that is more open and a little bit more detailed. Since you already have a BDA-1, it is ultimately your decision whether it is worth it.

Cheers!
Antun

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #535 on: 30 Jan 2014, 08:11 pm »
Just remember that BDA-1 and BDA-2 have different output levels and the BDA-2 has a slightly lower level on it's outputs due to fact it's AKM converters have lower voltage output than the Crystal converters in the BDA-1. You can use a BR-2 remote control to decrease the level of the BDA-1 to match it to the BDA-2.

I think you will find that the newer BDA-2 has a sound image that is more open and a little bit more detailed. Since you already have a BDA-1, it is ultimately your decision whether it is worth it.

Cheers!
Antun

I'd second that, exactly.

satbox

« Reply #536 on: 2 Feb 2014, 11:57 am »
MEMO: To all Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: New BDA-2 DAC and BDP-2 Digital Player

October 2012

It is always difficult when you introduce a new product as someone has just purchased the current version of said product.

The BDP-2 Digital Player was designed for those customers that felt the BDP -1 did not have enough features - more drives , larger library capability, esata internal harddrive capability, increase speed with load times etc,  Lack of these features was what prevented some customers from considering the BDP-1 in their systems.

Remember the BDP-2 is not replacing the BDP-1 it is an additional product choice.

The "purist" can stay with the BDP-1 and those requiring additional features can go to the BDP-2. Also the BDP-2 is 1/3 more money than the BDP-1.

As for the BDA-2 external DAC the main reason for the BDA-2 was to add Asynchronous USB 192/24 capability.  DSD capability is also possible with the AKM chips so we are looking at that going forward (software). 

We will also be offering a USB Interface as well for those folks that currently own a BDA-1 which can be used with the BDA-1 and allow for 192/24 USB capability.

Hope this helps.

James Tanner
Bryston

Hello James,

As I own a BDA-1, I'm very interested to buy the USB interface you speak about. Is it available?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #537 on: 2 Feb 2014, 12:02 pm »
Hello James,

As I own a BDA-1, I'm very interested to buy the USB interface you speak about. Is it available?

Hi Satbox

Yes it is:

http://bryston.com/products/digital_audio/BUC-1.html

james

stashoo99

« Reply #538 on: 6 Feb 2014, 08:27 pm »
Greetings.  I'm new to the list so I am asking for some insights from those that have used the BDA-2 new from the box to broken in.
First, BDA-2 reviews and recommendations from my dealer have been spectacular so it is with great expectations that I brought the dealer's demonstration BDA-2 home.  I use the BPD-2 as my digital source using XLR digital in from the BDP-2 and balanced XLR out to the Preamp.

What I heard was very realistic dynamics for instrument such as the pluck of guitar strings and the squawk of a sax.  What I didn't hear was the huge sound field I've heard so much about, in fact I heard the speakers each as a point source and a good center image mostly for voices and a single instrument from the Bryston.  I spent the next 12 hours AB testing the BDA-2 against my current PS Audio PWD-MkII.  The Bryston had slightly more realistic sound to instruments but a far less realistic sound stage.  It was a relief to get the PWD back into the system for a continuous wall or stage of sound that was all enveloping. 

The dealer said it was likely because the BDA-2 he gave me only had a few hours on it and needed more break in.  My question is could that be the reason and have others experienced anything like this.  I've broken in many components over the years and I'm a big believer in break in but there would have to be a significant improvement to be realistic.  Too many good reviews to hear what I am hearing.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #539 on: 6 Feb 2014, 10:51 pm »
Greetings.  I'm new to the list so I am asking for some insights from those that have used the BDA-2 new from the box to broken in.
First, BDA-2 reviews and recommendations from my dealer have been spectacular so it is with great expectations that I brought the dealer's demonstration BDA-2 home.  I use the BPD-2 as my digital source using XLR digital in from the BDP-2 and balanced XLR out to the Preamp.

What I heard was very realistic dynamics for instrument such as the pluck of guitar strings and the squawk of a sax.  What I didn't hear was the huge sound field I've heard so much about, in fact I heard the speakers each as a point source and a good center image mostly for voices and a single instrument from the Bryston.  I spent the next 12 hours AB testing the BDA-2 against my current PS Audio PWD-MkII.  The Bryston had slightly more realistic sound to instruments but a far less realistic sound stage.  It was a relief to get the PWD back into the system for a continuous wall or stage of sound that was all enveloping. 

The dealer said it was likely because the BDA-2 he gave me only had a few hours on it and needed more break in.  My question is could that be the reason and have others experienced anything like this.  I've broken in many components over the years and I'm a big believer in break in but there would have to be a significant improvement to be realistic.  Too many good reviews to hear what I am hearing.

Hi

I do not think break-in will change things that much - it is much more sutble.  Odd though as my BDP2 has a huge stage. :scratch:

james