BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #500 on: 9 Nov 2013, 01:05 pm »
Hi James!

I read in the BR-2 remote control manual it is possible to decrease the volume on the BDA-1 by 3 dB. So, I wonder, does the Cirrus CS4398 have a digital attenuation like the modern converter chips do and does this apply to the Asahi AK4399 converters in the BDA-2 which is what I have?

I am not at all a fan of digital bit truncation and it is something I stumbled upon by accident as I plan on purchasing your magnificent BDP and am looking into possible remote control options.

I was also surprised to see something on the BDP-2 page. It says that it supports USB connection to an external DAC so I presume it works like an ordinary computer in that regard because the page does mention software decoders being used instead of the Via Envy processor on the sound card. My question is this - will this enable DSD data transmission between your BDP and BDA-2 or is this option going to be available through S/PDIF connection as well?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

Yes we can reduce the volume by 3dB but do not recommended due to resolution loses whenever digital volume control is used.

DSD is only legal through USB.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #501 on: 9 Nov 2013, 03:22 pm »
Hi Antun

Yes we can reduce the volume by 3dB but do not recommended due to resolution loses whenever digital volume control is used.

DSD is only legal through USB.

james

Thanks James!

Yes well, DSD can be fantastic but with the current state of audio industry, it doesn't seem likely it will ever reach it's potential because the music is rarely recorded and mastered for DSD and so the sheer specification of being DSD-capable is more imporatant for compatibility reasons than anything else. At least the way I see it.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #502 on: 9 Nov 2013, 11:36 pm »
Thanks James!

Yes well, DSD can be fantastic but with the current state of audio industry, it doesn't seem likely it will ever reach it's potential because the music is rarely recorded and mastered for DSD and so the sheer specification of being DSD-capable is more imporatant for compatibility reasons than anything else. At least the way I see it.

Cheers!
Antun

My thoughts exactly.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #503 on: 13 Nov 2013, 12:09 pm »
Hi Folks,

Check out the latest review on the Bryston BDA2 and BDP2 combo in the November issue of Hi-Fi News and Record Review Magazine in the UK.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #504 on: 17 Nov 2013, 01:14 pm »
Hello!

I was wondering what you guys think of the up-sampling feature in the BDA-1/2? Were you able to tell the difference and did you think it was an improvement?

Here is what I discovered. The up-sampling feature adds more thickness to the lower register. It does, however, make it a bit less controlled but not by much. The difference is certainly not night and day and I can't say one or the other sounds more natural though. The difference in the mid-range is more obvious. Up-sampling tends to make the structure a bit denser and sometimes appears to extract a few more nuances from the mix. Still, a looser atmosphere of the native sampling seems to present itself in a slightly more natural manner. I heard no differences in the high-end.

So, it does make a difference, albeit a minute one and I don't think it was that necessary to implement such a feature even though I understand Bryston's wish to have it. The chosen hardware was probably capable of up-sampling anyway so adding this feature probably didn't complicate things.

What do you guys think?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #505 on: 17 Nov 2013, 01:19 pm »
Hi

I find it changes depending on the original recording - sometimes it seems better and sometimes worse.  I currently listen to all my files in Native format.

james

Mag

« Reply #506 on: 17 Nov 2013, 03:21 pm »
>>I was wondering what you guys think of the up-sampling feature in the BDA-1/2? Were you able to tell the difference and did you think it was an improvement?<<

IMO based on some remastering I've done on a few tracks, upsampling acts like a cleaner. Depending on the recording, the better the recording the less noticeable it would be.

Okay what you have is a sound sample, based on a Sony article I use to have but lost. This sample is represented as a square wave. With a typical digital PCM sample this square is partially distorted. So what upsampling does is partially correct this sample.

Now what I did with one track is record the output, transfer it to cd. Then play again and record the output again. I did this three times and you can hear the improvement over the original recording. However if you over upsample you strip this sound sample of its tone characteristic and the music will sound sterile.

Mind you the upsample was the BCD-1 + computer soundcard upsample.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #507 on: 17 Nov 2013, 10:55 pm »
...i would say no difference :roll: and i keep it the way James does - listening in native resolution :thumb:

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #508 on: 19 Nov 2013, 03:34 pm »
NO MORE JITTER BUG :thumb:

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BDA-2 DAC /BDP-2 Player Review

Hi Folks,

Please see below a link to a  superb review on the Bryston BDA-2 DAC and BDP-2 Digital Player combination. Special “HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AWARD”.

Please note  the Jitter numbers measured by Paul Miller in the technical section of the review - would you believe 10 psec ! ***

ftp://ftp.bryston.com/pub/reviews/HFN_Bryston%20BDP-2_BDA-2.pdf

*** What’s a Picosecond?

A Picosecond [ps] is a measure of time interval in accordance with SI standard. An interval of one second is equal to:

1.000 millisecond [ms]
1.000.000 microsecond [ms]
1.000.000.000 nanosecond [ns]
1.000.000.000.000 picosecond [ps]
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2013, 06:45 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #509 on: 6 Dec 2013, 03:37 pm »
MEMO: TO ALL BRYSTON CUSTOMERS
SUBJECT: BEST HIGH END DAC  – Bryston BDA-2 DAC

December 2013

Hi Folks,

Happy to report the Bryston BDA-2 DAC has received a BEST HIGH END DAC 2013 award from The Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity Magazine.

mav52

« Reply #510 on: 7 Dec 2013, 02:29 pm »
James exactly where is this measurement taken from, USB, PCM etc..  just wondering

James, I wanted to follow up on that measurement back on post 61 or so since it was SPDIF , do you have a measurement taken from USB as a comparison.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #511 on: 7 Dec 2013, 04:03 pm »
James, I wanted to follow up on that measurement back on post 61 or so since it was SPDIF , do you have a measurement taken from USB as a comparison.

Hi mav

Yes the review we got for HIFI News shows the USB measurements (much tougher to achieve) of the USB which they found surprisingly similar to SPDIF:

Quote:

Bryston’s new BDA-2 DAC also supports asynchronous USB 2.0 and the performance here is right up with S/PDIF and AES/EBU with a wide 113.8dB S/N ratio, reference-class jitter suppression [10-16psec, all sample rates – see Graph 2] and low-level resolution good to ±0.3dB over a 100dB dynamic range.

Here's a link to the complete review.
http://bryston.com/PDF/reviews/2013_11_Review_HFN_BDP-2_BDA-2.pdf

james

mav52

« Reply #512 on: 7 Dec 2013, 06:17 pm »
Hi mav

Yes the review we got for HIFI News shows the USB measurements (much tougher to achieve) of the USB which they found surprisingly similar to SPDIF:

Quote:

Bryston’s new BDA-2 DAC also supports asynchronous USB 2.0 and the performance here is right up with S/PDIF and AES/EBU with a wide 113.8dB S/N ratio, reference-class jitter suppression [10-16psec, all sample rates – see Graph 2] and low-level resolution good to ±0.3dB over a 100dB dynamic range.

Here's a link to the complete review.
http://bryston.com/PDF/reviews/2013_11_Review_HFN_BDP-2_BDA-2.pdf

james

Thank you James.   I think I'm going to add the BDA-2 and BDP-2 early next year for a second system..     I was wondering, is there any updates forthcoming for these two devices around the 1st or 2nd qtr next year ? if so I might need to hold off.   You can PM me if you like as not to take away from this thread.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #513 on: 7 Dec 2013, 06:23 pm »
Hi

No changes planned other than software updates as we go.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #514 on: 7 Dec 2013, 09:55 pm »
I think BDA-2 is a very balanced perfomer in terms of inputs. It is my opinion that the USB input is as good as I have heard it on any dedicated USB-SPDIF interface. I preferred the Musical fidelity V-series 192 interface but BDA-2 is equally good and since it eliminates the need for an additonal digital interconnect, it is even better.

Now it appears to me that Bryston is not a company that includes new features as they become available on the market just for the sake of feature-count. The technology has to be proven and has to be adequately perfected. I think that is the greatest strength of Bryston but I can possibly see how it could be seen as a weakness.

Let me explain. When I was pondering which DAC to purchase, the thing that struck me about Bryston is how little it is known about it. Other manufacturers like NAD or Musical fidelity which are quite popular in Europe, seem to be inclined at posting as much technical information as possible, often displaying them in a form of diagrams or with symbols. Bryston doesn't do that and thus appears old-fashioned and frankly, over-priced. Some manufacturers go to ridiculous lengths to convince you that "clock" is 80% of the DAC or that 384kHz sampling is absolutely necessary. All of that doesn't bode well for Bryston. In a place where industry and sales are driven by specifications and symbols, it is not easy to make it.

That said, listening sessions are really the only reliable and reassuring way to go and I have to say Bryston BDA-2 took precedence in front of all of these competitors. It wasn't the nicest looking machine nor it was the biggest one but it did sound fantastic and to my surprise, significantly superior in some ways when compared to NAD for example. I then realized it was the single most important feature - how it sounds.

I studied the available literature and found more things to like about. It may not be a love at first sight but it does get under your skin.

As for symboly, they are nice but they don't really tell you anything. 384kHz sampling? Why would anyone need it when the studios here have only recently adopted the 176.4kHz standard and even that is only used for high-cost classical and jazz productions. It makes very little sense to weight 384kHz sampling vs properly executed analog stage for example. The former is easy to claim, the latter is not and the average customer doesn't even know "whether he needs it or not". Funny as it sounds, it is literally true.

But once again, mind over matter wins. It's love over gold, that's what it is!

Well done fellas!
Cheers!
Antun

budcook

BDA-2
« Reply #515 on: 12 Dec 2013, 07:40 pm »
James or any other knowledgeable person, is it reasonable to expect the BDA-2 to feed the single-ended input inputs of a B135 over a high quality 2.5 meter cable?  Unfortunately, the B135 has no balanced inputs.

I am considering a downsize of the speaker part of my system because I listen to headphones most of the time.  I'm thinking of replacing a BP-26/4BSST(2)/Maggie 1.7 package with something like the B135 and Mini-T's or other monitors like Dynaudio.

The B135 would be placed closer to the speakers and away from the BDA-2.

Thanks in advance,

Bud

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: BDA-2
« Reply #516 on: 12 Dec 2013, 08:05 pm »
James or any other knowledgeable person, is it reasonable to expect the BDA-2 to feed the single-ended input inputs of a B135 over a high quality 2.5 meter cable?  Unfortunately, the B135 has no balanced inputs.

I am considering a downsize of the speaker part of my system because I listen to headphones most of the time.  I'm thinking of replacing a BP-26/4BSST(2)/Maggie 1.7 package with something like the B135 and Mini-T's or other monitors like Dynaudio.

The B135 would be placed closer to the speakers and away from the BDA-2.

Thanks in advance,

Bud

Hi Bud

The output impedance of the BDA-2 is very low so a few meters will not affect its performance.

james

budcook

« Reply #517 on: 12 Dec 2013, 08:11 pm »
Thanks James.

Bud

espilva

« Reply #518 on: 24 Dec 2013, 11:38 pm »
First post here, please forgive if it's not that appropriate.

I bought my BDA-2 in Spain a couple of weeks ago and I've got a couple of questions and suggestions:

a) How do you feed it? Currently I'm using the USB input but I'd like to know if that's the preferred/recommended option. If you're willing to share which player you're using, it'd be helpful. I'm a Windows user.

b) Fortunately, my main system runs Windows 7. I tried to install the drivers  in a Surface Pro running Windows 8.1 and didn't succeed. Are drivers for this Windows version being released any time soon?

c) DSD. Is new firmware being developed to support DSD?

espilva

« Reply #519 on: 5 Jan 2014, 02:49 pm »
God, I've killed this thread!  :D