BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

Grit

• - Garrett
Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #480 on: 24 Oct 2013, 07:04 pm »
That actually brings up a question I was thinking about... I currently have a BDA-2 and am 4th & inches from pulling the trigger on a SP3. Given the high quality of the SP3 DACs, I was wondering if the BDA-2 would still provide a benefit for 2-ch music over the SP3, or does the SP3 make the BDA-2 redundant (for 2-ch music)? I understand the BDA-2 has some input options (the USB, DSD, etc) the SP3 does not, but for my purposes here, I'd like to compare the output from the BDP-2 via AES/EBU to the SP3 vs BDP-2 via AES/EBU to the BDP-2 via XLR to the SP3 on analog bypass while playing CD/Redbook sources or higher bitrate/sample rate FLAC files.

I'd appreciate anyone's input on the subject.

Thanks!

- Garrett

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #481 on: 24 Oct 2013, 07:58 pm »
Hi Garrett,

I have both in my system at home. The DAC and especially the analog section of the SP3 is superb in every way - far better than I've come to expect from surround processors, but I hear more detail when I let my BDA-2 do the D to A. It's not a night and day difference, but consistent. Just my 2 cents.

Gary
Bryston

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #482 on: 24 Oct 2013, 11:07 pm »
Ditto, Grit:

I have the SP3, BDP-2, and BDA-2. While the SP3 is excellent, Gary's point is very apt on the added detail (and I would add smoothness) the BDA-2 brings in addition to its flexibility. I use the Bryston AES/EBU cable as recommended by James between the BDP-2 and BDA-2 and am delighted with the sound quality.

You'll be thrilled with the SP3, Garrett. It's truly a musical pre/pro.

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #483 on: 28 Oct 2013, 07:22 pm »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #484 on: 28 Oct 2013, 07:59 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BDA-2 DAC

Bryston is pleased to announce that the Bryston BDA-2 DAC has been awarded a PRODUCT OF THE YEAR AWARD  from Absolute Sound Magazine.

“Hi James

On behalf of The Absolute Sound I want to congratulate you on winning a product of the year award.
The awards will be announced in the January issue.

Marvin Lewis”

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #485 on: 28 Oct 2013, 10:47 pm »
Congrats Bryston!

saveloy

« Reply #486 on: 28 Oct 2013, 11:41 pm »
James,

Well done.  Stirling work as usual.

Kyri

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #487 on: 29 Oct 2013, 05:53 pm »
Well done, James and the Bryston team!   :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

The BDP-2 and BDA-2 have a marvelous synergy between them that results in smooth, detailed, and incredibly engaging sound, the best I've heard from any components. I truly appreciate the talent, focus, and passion that went into creating and developing the gear. Music is well served by your efforts.

Best fishes,

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #488 on: 31 Oct 2013, 03:53 am »
To So There:
 I see you have an OPPO BDP105 and the BDA-2. Do you have the 105 connected to the BDA-2? I also have a BDP105 but I am looking for even more DAC performance and I'm toying with the idea of possibly improving the sound with the BDA-2. Any input on that? How would one connect the BDP 105 to the BDA-2?

One more thing....Have you compared the SP3's dac to the Oppo's? I am trying to decide my next option. I am currently running the old Bryston 1.7 in bypass mode for everything, using the dacs in my oppo and cambridge audio cd players....

Thanks in advance, Pete

R. Daneel

« Reply #489 on: 2 Nov 2013, 04:46 pm »
Hi James!

This is probably going to disqualify me as an audiophile and qualify me as someone who doesn't know anything about audio electronics but I must ask this question anyway. I had a bit of an accident this morning. I couldn't really what I was doing because the BDA-2 is set up in a way that makes it difficult for me to access the cables. I accidently plugged the USB cable into one of the balanced analogue outputs on the BDA-2 and the sound cut off on one of the channels. It lasted only for a few seconds till I unplugged the cable and realized what I had done. No damage was done and I suppose the metal contacts on the USB connector caused a short-circuit.

I don't have any balanced analogue cables to used at this time but I suppose what I did was a dangerous thing to do. Could such a mistake cause a serious malfunction in the BDA-2 or some other equipment with balanced analogue outputs?

It was an unintentional mistake, I think it could happen to a lot of people (but perhaps I am just comforting myself).

Cheers!
Antun

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #490 on: 3 Nov 2013, 09:08 pm »
To So There:
 I see you have an OPPO BDP105 and the BDA-2. Do you have the 105 connected to the BDA-2? I also have a BDP105 but I am looking for even more DAC performance and I'm toying with the idea of possibly improving the sound with the BDA-2. Any input on that? How would one connect the BDP 105 to the BDA-2?

One more thing....Have you compared the SP3's dac to the Oppo's? I am trying to decide my next option. I am currently running the old Bryston 1.7 in bypass mode for everything, using the dacs in my oppo and cambridge audio cd players....

Thanks in advance, Pete

Thanks for your query, Pete. I have the HDMI 2 (audio) output of the 105 connected to the HDMI 1 input of my SP3, thus using the SP3's DAC. The HDMI 1 (video) output of the 105 is connected directly to our Pioneer Elite TV. I did this for two reasons. First, the Oppo's coax and optical cannot (by copyright and bandwidth restrictions) pass SACD and DVD-A signals. Second, as far as Red Book CDs, I'm waiting for Bryston's BOT-1 optical transport.

You could send the coax or optical outs of the 105 to the BDA-2, as it has inputs for each, and I would think you'd find an improvement in the sound. You've piqued my interest, and I'll have to give this a try. After all, it only involves getting one cable.

FWIW, just for fun, I ran Bryston cables from the balanced outputs of the 105 to the Balanced-1 XLR inputs of the SP3. I also have Bryston cables from the balanced outputs of the BDA-2 to the Balanced-2 XLR inputs of the SP3, to play hi-res music from the BDP-2. Through the BDP/BDA combo, the sound is substantially better (even with a ripped CD at the same resolution), as one would expect.

Cheerio,

Rich

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #491 on: 4 Nov 2013, 01:56 am »
Pete, I neglected to mention that the Oppo BDP-105 will pass hi-res files (such as FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, and WAV) up to 24-bit/192KHz stereo through the coax or optical outputs. (It will not, however, pass uncompressed codecs such as Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA through these outputs, instead using HDMI.) Thus, the 105 should be a solid file player to use with the BDA-2.

I'd be interested in James Tanner's recommendations on optical vs. coax cable for the connection, and would expect he'd advise the latter.

Rich

spotlightaudio

« Reply #492 on: 4 Nov 2013, 05:55 pm »
Hi all!

Does anyone know if we can safely use both bal. and single ended outputs on the BDA-2 at the same time to drive two preamps ?
Thanks.............Larry

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #493 on: 4 Nov 2013, 05:57 pm »
Hi all!

Does anyone know if we can safely use both bal. and single ended outputs on the BDA-2 at the same time to drive two preamps ?
Thanks.............Larry

Hi Larry

No Problem

james

spotlightaudio

« Reply #494 on: 4 Nov 2013, 06:05 pm »
Thank You ,  James

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #495 on: 6 Nov 2013, 12:27 am »
Pete, I neglected to mention that the Oppo BDP-105 will pass hi-res files (such as FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, and WAV) up to 24-bit/192KHz stereo through the coax or optical outputs. (It will not, however, pass uncompressed codecs such as Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA through these outputs, instead using HDMI.) Thus, the 105 should be a solid file player to use with the BDA-2.

I'd be interested in James Tanner's recommendations on optical vs. coax cable for the connection, and would expect he'd advise the latter.

Rich

Thank you for your reply Rich. I plan on listening to the bdp and bda if my local shop has them. If I buy these they will connect to a SP 1.7 processor in by pass mode. I hope I can get the great sound even though it's not going through a Sp 3.

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #496 on: 6 Nov 2013, 03:35 pm »
Thank you for your reply Rich. I plan on listening to the bdp and bda if my local shop has them. If I buy these they will connect to a SP 1.7 processor in by pass mode. I hope I can get the great sound even though it's not going through a Sp 3.

Pete, it should sound excellent, as good as your SP 1.7, since you'll be going directly from the analog outputs of the BDP to the 1.7's analog stage.

Rich

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #497 on: 7 Nov 2013, 01:14 am »
Thanks for the info, Rich. I just found out that the combo is not I stock at my local Bryston dealer and that I could special order them. Quite a leap of faith without listening to them. I think I will wait until the DSD software is installed on the new products after the new year.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #498 on: 8 Nov 2013, 04:30 pm »
BDA-2 USB Windows 8 Driver Setup - Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs1uWpj9qPc&feature=youtu.be

R. Daneel

« Reply #499 on: 9 Nov 2013, 12:25 pm »
Hi James!

I read in the BR-2 remote control manual it is possible to decrease the volume on the BDA-1 by 3 dB. So, I wonder, does the Cirrus CS4398 have a digital attenuation like the modern converter chips do and does this apply to the Asahi AK4399 converters in the BDA-2 which is what I have?

I am not at all a fan of digital bit truncation and it is something I stumbled upon by accident as I plan on purchasing your magnificent BDP and am looking into possible remote control options.

I was also surprised to see something on the BDP-2 page. It says that it supports USB connection to an external DAC so I presume it works like an ordinary computer in that regard because the page does mention software decoders being used instead of the Via Envy processor on the sound card. My question is this - will this enable DSD data transmission between your BDP and BDA-2 or is this option going to be available through S/PDIF connection as well?

Cheers!
Antun