BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

Marius

Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #460 on: 15 Oct 2013, 10:52 am »
Check!
Since i gather you'ld be working on that right now, I thought I'd mention it early on in the process..... :thumb:

And since we're talking dreams right now: you wouldn't be planning an SP4 without a Dac, would you? I am ready for the Multi channel jump, considering the SP3 seriously, but would hate to do away with my BDA, especially because it is not an inferior product to the dac in the Sp3.

Thanks for any insights you could share

Marius

Hi Marius

No immediate plans on adding more optical to the BDA or more balanced outputs as it would really need a complete redesign of the circuit board. I think at that point it would have to be a different product - Maybe BDA-3???

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #461 on: 15 Oct 2013, 11:26 am »
Check!
Since i gather you'ld be working on that right now, I thought I'd mention it early on in the process..... :thumb:

And since we're talking dreams right now: you wouldn't be planning an SP4 without a Dac, would you? I am ready for the Multi channel jump, considering the SP3 seriously, but would hate to do away with my BDA, especially because it is not an inferior product to the dac in the Sp3.

Thanks for any insights you could share

Marius

I think a stereo version of the SP3 might be a good idea.

james

Marius

« Reply #462 on: 16 Oct 2013, 02:00 pm »
That's a new perspective....

Still, geting back to the BDA, today I reenabled the balanced connection with my BCD to the BP26: and, lucky me, I was in audio-heaven again. Just like it lifted the BHA1 up a notch or two, the BP26 came to its luscious life again.  Both occasions were met by Schuberts Pianomusic played by the grand master Alfred Brendel. A terrible piece of music to test an audio-setup. flaws are recognized immediately. Bliss, too.

An immediate and direct comparison to the digital connection BCD/BDA to the bP26 was a bit of a disillusion, to understate it mildly: Balanced BCD was the clear winner here. I can only point to one reason/conclusion: because of the one balanced connection I needed/wanted out of the Dac to the BHA1, I can no longer connect the BDA balanced to the BP26.

So, James, if ever you redesign the BDA into a version 3, please have it have 2 balanced outs... One for a stereo-speaker setup, and one for the headphone. It would really set the difference. And an immediate incentive to buy one...

I know you mentioned the tape to connection from the bp26 to the bha1. I use that too, for the analog sources. But, as stated above, balanced is just the superior way to go, in my humble opinion. Music opens up, comes to life, and starts breathing.

Of course, it might be even better if you had the bp26 have a balanced passthrough/out of the unamplified signal. That way we'd have it all. Balanced setup from source to speaker/headphone. Digital and analog sources.
Ill take this to the bp27 thread then...

cheers,
Marius

I think a stereo version of the SP3 might be a good idea.

james

Alpha10

« Reply #463 on: 16 Oct 2013, 05:16 pm »
^^^^^

Marius, definitely sounds like you need an SP3 to me. I use my BDA balanced out into Bal1 of the Sp3 leaving Bal2 available for another balanced player. The SP3 pre in balanced bypass mode is a thing of musical beauty  :thumb:

Cheers

Marius

« Reply #464 on: 16 Oct 2013, 08:14 pm »
Hi Alpha,

really? I wasn't aware of the Sp3's ability of a balanced bypass, was that why James hinted a stereo Sp3?..

still, seems a bit steep to pay an extra 12000 euro for a balanced bypass, when everything else is in place already  :scratch:

considering all options: James, does the Sp3 have a stereo 10bsub built in also? That way I would only have to wait until you upgrade the dac in the sp3 to bda2 specifications to replace the bp26/bda2/10bsub?

Sorry if this is getting off topic....

Marius

^^^^^

Marius, definitely sounds like you need an SP3 to me. I use my BDA balanced out into Bal1 of the Sp3 leaving Bal2 available for another balanced player. The SP3 pre in balanced bypass mode is a thing of musical beauty  :thumb:

Cheers

Marius

« Reply #465 on: 17 Oct 2013, 05:44 pm »
Hi Alpha,

Been reading through the Sp3 manual, but couldn't find a reference to balanced bypass mode. do you have a pointer for me please?
thanks, you just might have caused another sell...

Marius

^^^^^

Cheers

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #466 on: 17 Oct 2013, 06:26 pm »
Hey Marius,

I think it's just a simple entry under the 2 channel bypass button operation on page 5. Since it says "whatever analog source is currently selected", I figured it must allow 2 channel bypass on all possible analog inputs.

- Garrett

■ 2 CHANNEL BYPASS
 Selects Left and right (or the front left and right)
inputs from whatever analog source is currently
selected. If the DIGITAL mode is active (i.e. if
the LED above the DIGITAL button is ON) then
this becomes a digital down-mix into a stereo
Left and Right output.

Marius

« Reply #467 on: 17 Oct 2013, 06:34 pm »
I see.

So this would be a bypass, in the meaning that an unamplified signal of whatever source selected is passed-through to a balanced out? Could you confirm that on your Sp3? reading what happens when a digital source is selected, i figured this just to be a down-mix option. Analog and digital.

I would want this passthrough with digital sources too though....

Thanks!
Marius

Hey Marius,

I think it's just a simple entry under the 2 channel bypass button operation on page 5. Since it says "whatever analog source is currently selected", I figured it must allow 2 channel bypass on all possible analog inputs.

- Garrett

■ 2 CHANNEL BYPASS
 Selects Left and right (or the front left and right)
inputs from whatever analog source is currently
selected. If the DIGITAL mode is active (i.e. if
the LED above the DIGITAL button is ON) then
this becomes a digital down-mix into a stereo
Left and Right output.

R. Daneel

« Reply #468 on: 18 Oct 2013, 11:56 am »
Hi!

I have a question regarding the SPDIF coaxial output on the BDA-2. Is the output signal on this connector identical to the input signal?

I would like to connect another DAC to the BDA-2's output and I want to make sure both DACs are fed with identical signal. So, what I am wondering if the bit depth and sampling rate of the output mirror the signal fed to one of BDA-2's inputs.

Thanks!

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #469 on: 18 Oct 2013, 08:20 pm »
hi!

the signal of the coax output is untouched by the BDA-2. so it is simply a passed through signal.

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #470 on: 18 Oct 2013, 09:53 pm »
Hi!

I have a question regarding the SPDIF coaxial output on the BDA-2. Is the output signal on this connector identical to the input signal?

I would like to connect another DAC to the BDA-2's output and I want to make sure both DACs are fed with identical signal. So, what I am wondering if the bit depth and sampling rate of the output mirror the signal fed to one of BDA-2's inputs.

Thanks!
\

Hi

Yes a simple pass-through.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #471 on: 19 Oct 2013, 02:39 pm »
\

Hi

Yes a simple pass-through.

james

Excellent! Thanks fellas!

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #472 on: 23 Oct 2013, 01:00 am »
I see.

So this would be a bypass, in the meaning that an unamplified signal of whatever source selected is passed-through to a balanced out? Could you confirm that on your Sp3? reading what happens when a digital source is selected, i figured this just to be a down-mix option. Analog and digital.

I would want this passthrough with digital sources too though....

Thanks!
Marius

Ah, my misunderstanding. Let me clarify up front, I don't have a SP3 yet, I just want one desperately and have overly researched it. :)

I thought you meant bypass as in skipping all processing. You are referring to a line-level pass through? While that is a feature I've seen on 2-ch pre-amps, I've haven't seen it on a digital processor. How were you planning on implementing that feature?

Marius

« Reply #473 on: 23 Oct 2013, 07:20 am »
I'm not....

I was asking for it, on the BP27 to be, or, if thats not possible, at least on a BDA3 to be....
Maybe Bryston could make a separate Audiophile Balanced stereo splitter box.

Cheers,
Marius

Ah, my misunderstanding. Let me clarify up front, I don't have a SP3 yet, I just want one desperately and have overly researched it. :)

I thought you meant bypass as in skipping all processing. You are referring to a line-level pass through? While that is a feature I've seen on 2-ch pre-amps, I've haven't seen it on a digital processor. How were you planning on implementing that feature?

Marius

« Reply #474 on: 23 Oct 2013, 07:21 am »
yes, line-level pass trough.

I'm not planning on implementing....whish I was  :D

I was asking for it, on the BP27 to be, or, if thats not possible, at least on a BDA3 to be....
Maybe Bryston could make a separate Audiophile Balanced stereo splitter box.

Cheers,
Marius

gene9p

« Reply #475 on: 23 Oct 2013, 01:51 pm »

audioadvisor.com has a factory refreshed, full warranty, SP3 for sale in black..free shipping too...$6699.00

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #476 on: 24 Oct 2013, 06:57 am »
I looked and can't find it. :( What am I missing?

Oops, found it. I'm looking in to it. Thanks for the tip!

srb

« Reply #477 on: 24 Oct 2013, 07:16 am »
Searches for "Factory Refreshed", "Bryston SP3", "Bryston SP-3", "SP3" or "SP-3" won't find it (bad search engine, bad!) and it's not listed as a selection in the option dropdown of the new unit, but it can be found from the sidebar under Highlights > Clearance > Factory Refreshed. 

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=2BYSP3

Steve

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #478 on: 24 Oct 2013, 01:02 pm »
James,
Will this new DSD software be implemented in the SP3 eventually?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #479 on: 24 Oct 2013, 03:31 pm »
James,
Will this new DSD software be implemented in the SP3 eventually?

No the circuits and decoding chips in the SP3 are designed around Surround Sound applications and not stereo.

james