BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

R. Daneel

Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #440 on: 19 Aug 2013, 06:18 pm »
Hi guys!

Would someone please comment on this?

I found out that if you connect a CD player to the BDA-2, the DAC will remain locked onto the signal as long as the CD player is turned on and regardless of if it is playing the CD or not. However, this is not valid for USB. If you use a program like Foobar, the DAC is locked onto the signal while the software is playing music. Once you stop the placback, the DAC will remain locked for about two seconds and then it will unlock and the sampling rate indicator will go off. Once you start playback again, it will automatically lock again. Can someone explain why?

Also, I have noticed that in Windows media player for this reason you can miss the first second of the song - because when you start playing a song, the DAC will need a moment to lock onto the signal and you will miss the first second of the song. This doesn't happen in Foobar. Foobar has been set to the appropriate driver of the BDA-2 as the output device in the settings. Windows media player has not been tampered with and I haven't set it up because I don't use it, it was just an experiement.

This is all very new to me so can someone please explain.

Thank you!
Antun

brucek

« Reply #441 on: 19 Aug 2013, 06:57 pm »
I found out that if you connect a CD player to the BDA-2, the DAC will remain locked onto the signal as long as the CD player is turned on and regardless of if it is playing the CD or not. However, this is not valid for USB. If you use a program like Foobar, the DAC is locked onto the signal while the software is playing music. Once you stop the placback, the DAC will remain locked for about two seconds and then it will unlock and the sampling rate indicator will go off. Once you start playback again, it will automatically lock again. Can someone explain why?

Also, I have noticed that in Windows media player for this reason you can miss the first second of the song - because when you start playing a song, the DAC will need a moment to lock onto the signal and you will miss the first second of the song. This doesn't happen in Foobar. Foobar has been set to the appropriate driver of the BDA-2 as the output device in the settings. Windows media player has not been tampered with and I haven't set it up because I don't use it, it was just an experiement.

Thank you!
Antun

Generally, if you think about a DVD multipurpose player, it can play CD's that output PCM, it can play DVD's that output PCM, AC-3, or DTS. A Blu-ray player also has several more bit stream types that it can output.

So, how does the DAC know what type of decoding to use? Generally in an HT system the decoders monitor the bit stream so as to know when to switch decoding types. When DSPs detect a change, the volume controllers are muted right away, and the appropriate bit stream detection and mode switching routines are called.

If you're using a dedicated CD player, the only output type will be PCM, so even though a CD isn't playing, it can be confident enough to output digital zero at all other times. A DAC will lock onto the digital zero and will never miss the beginning of a song once a CD actually starts playing.

Any other type of device doesn't have this confidence, and so doesn't output anything until it begins to play. It takes a few seconds for the DAC to lock onto the new bit stream it receives and you may indeed miss a second at the start.

brucek

R. Daneel

« Reply #442 on: 19 Aug 2013, 07:28 pm »
Generally, if you think about a DVD multipurpose player, it can play CD's that output PCM, it can play DVD's that output PCM, AC-3, or DTS. A Blu-ray player also has several more bit stream types that it can output.

So, how does the DAC know what type of decoding to use? Generally in an HT system the decoders monitor the bit stream so as to know when to switch decoding types. When DSPs detect a change, the volume controllers are muted right away, and the appropriate bit stream detection and mode switching routines are called.

If you're using a dedicated CD player, the only output type will be PCM, so even though a CD isn't playing, it can be confident enough to output digital zero at all other times. A DAC will lock onto the digital zero and will never miss the beginning of a song once a CD actually starts playing.

Any other type of device doesn't have this confidence, and so doesn't output anything until it begins to play. It takes a few seconds for the DAC to lock onto the new bit stream it receives and you may indeed miss a second at the start.

brucek

That makes plenty sense to me, thank you!

With Foobar it never misses that first moment. Would that have something to with the fact Foobar is using the BDA-2 driver as the output device while other programs are not?

I just don't like seeing it unlock so often. I am afraid that something might break down.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #443 on: 19 Aug 2013, 07:33 pm »
Hi fellas!

Do the Bryston digital components come with a measurement sheet of the actual unit like the analog components do?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi,

No sheet with the BDP.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #444 on: 19 Aug 2013, 07:35 pm »
Hi guys!

Would someone please comment on this?

Thank you!
Antun

Hi,

It just depends on whether the source is outputting a digital bitstream or not when in pause, stop etc.  It will vary from source to source and from program to program.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #445 on: 19 Aug 2013, 07:39 pm »
Hi,

No sheet with the BDP.

james

Hi James!

I was referring to the BDA-2 but I suppose the sheet doesn't come with that machine either. It's a shame, that would be really lovely. I was most impressed with that when I purchased the BHA-1.

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #446 on: 19 Aug 2013, 07:54 pm »
Hi,

It just depends on whether the source is outputting a digital bitstream or not when in pause, stop etc.  It will vary from source to source and from program to program.

james

Hi James!

That makes sense. Does it harm the BDA-2 if it locks and unlocks so often?

Antun

brucek

« Reply #447 on: 19 Aug 2013, 08:11 pm »
Quote from: R. Daneel

No.

brucek

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #448 on: 19 Aug 2013, 08:15 pm »
Hi James!

Antun

Hi,

No it will not hurt the BDA-2 - but stand back when it switches as some have reported sterility as a byproduct of too much switching. :P

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #449 on: 19 Aug 2013, 09:07 pm »
Hi,

No it will not hurt the BDA-2 - but stand back when it switches as some have reported sterility as a byproduct of too much switching. :P

james

LOL!! Hilarious!

Thanks James!

« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2013, 07:55 pm by R. Daneel »

R. Daneel

« Reply #450 on: 31 Aug 2013, 08:14 pm »
Hi folks!

I have a bit of a problem with the BDA-2 D/A converter.

This morning I was cleaning the rack and disconneted everything. I took the BDA-2 to another room to remain there until I cleaned the whole place. After a few hours, I brought it back and plugged it in. To my surprise, it wouldn't come on from standby once I pressed the power button. I pressed it again a few times but nothing happened. Then it came on by itself after 10 seconds. It worked properly after that.

However, I then turned it off for a few hours. I then pressed power again and again nothing happened. After a few presses, it came on and has worked properly ever since.

I have contaced Mr. Tanner about this and he says it cannot come on immediately as it is basically a computer and takes a bit of time for it to cycle. He thinks it is OK however.

I must say I am a bit concerned so I wanted to ask you guys about your opinion and advice. I don't believe I did something wrong as it is a simple matter of pressing the power button.

Any help would be very much appreciated!
Antun

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #451 on: 1 Sep 2013, 05:27 am »
Do you have any USB or SSD drives plugged into it?

srb

« Reply #452 on: 1 Sep 2013, 05:48 am »
Do you have any USB or SSD drives plugged into it?

It's a BDA-2 DAC, not a BDP-x player.  There are no USB Type A ports to plug drives into.

Steve

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #453 on: 1 Sep 2013, 11:19 am »
Sorry, I missed that. The behavior made sense when I thought it was the player.

I can't think of any reason why the DAC wouldn't power up out of standby mode immediately.

R. Daneel

« Reply #454 on: 1 Sep 2013, 12:14 pm »
Hi fellas!

I started a new thread on this issue so please have a look and read about my findings:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=119461.0

Thanks!
Antun

Ron D

« Reply #455 on: 6 Sep 2013, 06:09 pm »
Rather than derail the DSD BDP-1/2 thread I'll post here as it specifically deals with owners of BDA-2 dacs.

With the number of DSD capable "stand alone" dacs on the rise, some currently costing less then $1K (TEAC?), would it not make sense to have the DSD option available to BDA-2 owners who do not have the BDP matching unit?

As I understand it (with my very limited knowledge of pc audio, FLAC format or otherwise,  the 32 bit AKM chipset in the BDA-2 has the foundation to process DSD files. If I am wrong please correct me.

Tx
Ron

R. Daneel

« Reply #456 on: 8 Sep 2013, 01:53 pm »
Ron, the AK4399 is capable of on-chip DSD conversion, that is correct.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #457 on: 15 Oct 2013, 09:45 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: BDP/DBA Digital Player/DAC – Customer Feedback
Subject: Bryston duo

Date: 13 October, 2013

I have to keep things in perspective I know but these Brystons have totally changed the way I relate to reproduced music. I bought my first "high end" component in 1968 - a Dual 1019 turntable so I have been at this game for a long time and nothing has prepared me for the way in which the BDA and the BDP facilitate my enjoyment of high quality reproduced sound.

They are uber-convenient  I am getting all of my CDs ripped to my network attached storage drive which I as super fast Iomega RAID setup with 4TB of storage. I can access the music through the network if I like and actually stream it to the DAC in the magnum Dynalab but I mostly just copy what I want to 32GB USB drives and plug them into the BDP

As the BDA -2 breaks in it just gets sweeter and sweeter not a trace of digital glare. I swapped out The cable between the BDA and the BDP to a Kimber D-60 BNC and find that I like the focus better than with the Bryston cable. The kimber has a list "price of around $300 compared with $105 for the Bryston so thats no surprise. I use the iPad to control everything and it is just dynamite

These two pieces have been revolutionary for me not evolutionary  can't thank you enough for pointing me in this direction. The Naim DAC was excellent but this Bryston has gone to another level with sound staging and imaging and has a WOW factor that the Naim did not give me.

WOW even on Red Book material

Al

Marius

« Reply #458 on: 15 Oct 2013, 10:29 am »
Hi James,

Had to fiddle around with several connections again lately, trying to connect it all to the Bryston rig as a centre piece of audiophile experience. 'Command centre experience'  left out on me, and I had to make some difficult choices  which sources to hook up on what amp/dac connection...

Though I realize the BDA's are already among the most 'connected' dac's available, I am in need of more than the current connections... Not all audiophile quality, but still, since the settop-boxes, airport express/appletv, tvtuners  and hd-tv sets of this world get more and more sophisticated, and still use optical outs, I would love to have a dac that at least has some more optical in's. Is there any possibility in the future Bryston plan's? If so, might I also suggest again a second  balanced out on the dac, to be able to feed both the Bp26 (or its successor ) and the BHA, without having to resort to a second best option of splitter cables/boxes, and their less than optimal audiophile qualities?

A second best option for the balanced connection could also be in a bp27... with a couple of extra balanced ins, but also a looped balanced out. Would really be a great plus compared to the current bp26.

Cheers,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #459 on: 15 Oct 2013, 10:35 am »
Hi James,

Had to fiddle around with several connections again lately, trying to connect it all to the Bryston rig as a centre piece of audiophile experience. 'Command centre experience'  left out on me, and I had to make some difficult choices  which sources to hook up on what amp/dac connection...

Though I realize the BDA's are already among the most 'connected' dac's available, I am in need of more than the current connections... Not all audiophile quality, but still, since the settop-boxes, airport express/appletv, tvtuners  and hd-tv sets of this world get more and more sophisticated, and still use optical outs, I would love to have a dac that at least has some more optical in's. Is there any possibility in the future Bryston plan's? If so, might I also suggest again a second  balanced out on the dac, to be able to feed both the Bp26 (or its successor ) and the BHA, without having to resort to a second best option of splitter cables/boxes, and their less than optimal audiophile qualities?

A second best option for the balanced connection could also be in a bp27... with a couple of extra balanced ins, but also a looped balanced out. Would really be a great plus compared to the current bp26.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

No immediate plans on adding more optical to the BDA or more balanced outputs as it would really need a complete redesign of the circuit board. I think at that point it would have to be a different product - Maybe BDA-3???

james