BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #400 on: 27 Jul 2013, 12:23 pm »
HI JAMES
i have bda1 with ext hiface evo and  problems on 192/24 lock unstable (usb wireworld 2m and 1.2m. I see from your report that bda2 usb is working flawless on 24/192 .what length and quality is the usb cable you are using from pc ?
thanks

Hi

My cable is about a meter

James

R. Daneel

« Reply #401 on: 13 Aug 2013, 09:35 am »
Hello!

I am a new member here. Recently I have ordered a BDA-2 D/A converter and the domestic distributor informed me that I would receive it shortly. I am very excited about this machine because over the last couple of months, I have searched and searched and auditioned a couple of other machines till I settled on the BDA-2.

Bryston naturally came to mind because six months ago I purchased a BHA-1 headphone amplifier and have been most impressed with it's natural sound and build quality. I was also most impressed with the guarantee and indeed, it is something to have and enjoy for many years even though I have no doubt that Bryston will be releasing improved versions every six or seven years.

However, I still wanted to give other brands a good chance to prove themselves and some of them were close and some equally good in some respects. There were also many categories in which BDA-2 took the lead so to speak so in some, but admittedly rare, cases it was subtle difference.

I also asked the Bryston's distributor for this part of Europe if they could install 4 RCA S/PDIF inputs instead of 2 RCA and 2 BNC. Shortly after, they informed me that it was indeed possible and that they would do it as a special order. Quite a service I must say. I just hope it didn't cause any problems for the engineers.

I have a couple of questions so if someone could provide some answers, I would be most grateful.

First, in a BDA-1 video, the sales representative talked about discrete input (before the D-A) and output (after D-A) stages. I know that BDA-2 also has a discrete output stage but were any changes done in the input stage? Is it still discrete?

In fact, apart from the change of D-A conversions chips and changes in the power suply (one larger transformer instead of two smaller shielded ones) are there any other differences in hardware?

All the best from Croatia!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #402 on: 13 Aug 2013, 10:09 am »
Hello!

I am a new member here. Recently I have ordered a BDA-2 D/A converter and the domestic distributor informed me that I would receive it shortly. I am very excited about this machine because over the last couple of months, I have searched and searched and auditioned a couple of other machines till I settled on the BDA-2.

Bryston naturally came to mind because six months ago I purchased a BHA-1 headphone amplifier and have been most impressed with it's natural sound and build quality. I was also most impressed with the guarantee and indeed, it is something to have and enjoy for many years even though I have no doubt that Bryston will be releasing improved versions every six or seven years.

However, I still wanted to give other brands a good chance to prove themselves and some of them were close and some equally good in some respects. There were also many categories in which BDA-2 took the lead so to speak so in some, but admittedly rare, cases it was subtle difference.

I also asked the Bryston's distributor for this part of Europe if they could install 4 RCA S/PDIF inputs instead of 2 RCA and 2 BNC. Shortly after, they informed me that it was indeed possible and that they would do it as a special order. Quite a service I must say. I just hope it didn't cause any problems for the engineers.

I have a couple of questions so if someone could provide some answers, I would be most grateful.

First, in a BDA-1 video, the sales representative talked about discrete input (before the D-A) and output (after D-A) stages. I know that BDA-2 also has a discrete output stage but were any changes done in the input stage? Is it still discrete?

In fact, apart from the change of D-A conversions chips and changes in the power suply (one larger transformer instead of two smaller shielded ones) are there any other differences in hardware?

All the best from Croatia!
Antun

Hi Antun

The BDA2 is discrete and as you described the differences are the DACs and the power supply and the USB input is now async 192/24 capable.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #403 on: 13 Aug 2013, 10:28 am »
Hi Antun

The BDA2 is discrete and as you described the differences are the DACs and the power supply and the USB input is now async 192/24 capable.

james

Thank you very much Sir!

I have one more question. Since I already ordered the special order machine, can you please tell me are there any other differences apart from the two types of connectors (RCA and BNC) with these two kinds of S/PDIF digital inputs? For example, to use 4 RCA instead of 2 RCA and 2 BNC connectors, was it necessary to modify the circuit board in some way to accomodate RCA connectors where BNC connectors were suppoes to be. I am just wondering if my special order caused any problems for your engineering crew.

Take care!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #404 on: 13 Aug 2013, 11:19 am »
Thank you very much Sir!

I have one more question. Since I already ordered the special order machine, can you please tell me are there any other differences apart from the two types of connectors (RCA and BNC) with these two kinds of S/PDIF digital inputs? For example, to use 4 RCA instead of 2 RCA and 2 BNC connectors, was it necessary to modify the circuit board in some way to accomodate RCA connectors where BNC connectors were suppoes to be. I am just wondering if my special order caused any problems for your engineering crew.

Take care!
Antun

Hi

The only change is the connector not the circuit board. Is there a particular reason you do not want BNC?  Because it is a better connector due to impedance consistency thought the digital circuit path.

James

R. Daneel

« Reply #405 on: 13 Aug 2013, 12:53 pm »
Hi

The only change is the connector not the circuit board. Is there a particular reason you do not want BNC?  Because it is a better connector due to impedance consistency thought the digital circuit path.

James

Hello!

Well, my reason is simply convenience I'm afraid. I simply do not have a BNC-equipped digital source. I know there are cables with either RCA or BNC connectors but I already have a few source components with RCA outputs and so I wouldn't have use for the BNC.

Mr. Brian Russel informed me that this could be done without diminishing of sound quality. That was my main concern with this special offer I must admit. Are there going to be some negative side-effects to this procedure? Was Mr. Russel wrong?

You got me a bit worried now.

Phil A

« Reply #406 on: 13 Aug 2013, 01:27 pm »
A cable with a BNC at one end and an RCA at the other is easy to find.  I made several when I had my BDA-1 DAC.  BNC is a better connection.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #407 on: 13 Aug 2013, 03:45 pm »
Hello!

Well, my reason is simply convenience I'm afraid. I simply do not have a BNC-equipped digital source. I know there are cables with either RCA or BNC connectors but I already have a few source components with RCA outputs and so I wouldn't have use for the BNC.

Mr. Brian Russel informed me that this could be done without diminishing of sound quality. That was my main concern with this special offer I must admit. Are there going to be some negative side-effects to this procedure? Was Mr. Russel wrong?

You got me a bit worried now.

HI,

Digital signals operate at very high frequencies so maintaining proper impedances along the circuit path is always a good idea. We use matching impedance transformers on all the inputs so it is not a big deal with the BDA-2 as there would be very little if any differences between the connections.  That being said thouigh some customers seem to prefer the sound of the AES EBU first the BNC second and the RCA next.  Just having the option to try both seemed like it might be a better option for you going forward?

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #408 on: 13 Aug 2013, 04:10 pm »
HI,

Digital signals operate at very high frequencies so maintaining proper impedances along the circuit path is always a good idea. We use matching impedance transformers on all the inputs so it is not a big deal with the BDA-2 as there would be very little if any differences between the connections.  That being said thouigh some customers seem to prefer the sound of the AES EBU first the BNC second and the RCA next.  Just having the option to try both seemed like it might be a better option for you going forward?

james

Hello and thank you for a quick reply!

Well, it does appear more versatile with 3 types of connectors. I will certainly have a good use of the AES because I would like to purchase one of your BDP digital players at a later date.

I suppose I could have used a cable with RCA on one end and BNC on the other. That would, however, mean I would still be using two RCA-RCA cables on the inputs that have these connectors and therefore, it would not be the same as the ones connected via BNC-RCA cables. You see, I had an idea of doing a thorough test of these transports so I wanted to have four identical RCA inputs. It didn't occur to me to ask for four BNC connectors I must admit. It is because I am not used to this connector and haven't had a chance to own something that has it.

Okay, so as far as I can see, the BDA-2 is well equipped to compensate for any differences that might arise from the connection type.

Will I be getting identical performance on all four RCA inputs? Also, will it equal the two RCA inputs on a standard machine?

Thank you again!

Phil A

« Reply #409 on: 13 Aug 2013, 04:12 pm »
I ran my BDA-1 with identical cables (the only difference was termination on one end), two being RCA to RCA and two being RCA to BNC.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #410 on: 13 Aug 2013, 04:19 pm »
Will I be getting identical performance on all four RCA inputs? Also, will it equal the two RCA inputs on a standard machine?

Thank you again!

Hi,

Yes identical performance on all RCA inputs and equal to the RCA's on the standard unit.
Enjoy!

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #411 on: 13 Aug 2013, 04:29 pm »

Thank you again!

Hi,

Yes identical performance on all RCA inputs and equal to the RCA's on the standard unit.
Enjoy!

james

Excellent! Thank you!

Now here is a theoretical question. If one were to use a source with RCA output and then run that output into the BDA-2, which connection would be better - if he were to use an RCA-RCA cable and connect it to the RCA input or if he were to use an RCA-BNC cable and connect it to the BNC input?

With the impedance matching transformers on the inputs, how big of a difference could it be?

I am sorry for all of these questions but there are so many things to know.

R. Daneel

« Reply #412 on: 13 Aug 2013, 04:33 pm »
I ran my BDA-1 with identical cables (the only difference was termination on one end), two being RCA to RCA and two being RCA to BNC.

Hello!

Please tell me, would you be able to tell the difference between connectors in the setup you have described? If you, for example, used the same source and then used the RCA-RCA cable on the RCA input and then change the cable to an RCA-BNC type and use the BNC input. Would this single change of a connector (even if the source is using an RCA output) change things?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #413 on: 13 Aug 2013, 04:52 pm »
Hello!

Please tell me, would you be able to tell the difference between connectors in the setup you have described? If you, for example, used the same source and then used the RCA-RCA cable on the RCA input and then change the cable to an RCA-BNC type and use the BNC input. Would this single change of a connector (even if the source is using an RCA output) change things?

I would say you would have a difficult time hearing a difference.  I personally like the AES.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #414 on: 13 Aug 2013, 05:05 pm »
I would say you would have a difficult time hearing a difference.  I personally like the AES.

james

Yes, well, somehow I think that would be the case.

Do you find the AES3 significantly superior to the S/PDIF inputs?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #415 on: 13 Aug 2013, 05:11 pm »
Yes, well, somehow I think that would be the case.

Do you find the AES3 significantly superior to the S/PDIF inputs?

Hi -  Yes ... seems to add a greater sense of space and air around the instruments. :thumb:

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #416 on: 13 Aug 2013, 05:24 pm »
Hi -  Yes ... seems to add a greater sense of space and air around the instruments. :thumb:

james

That is quite fascinating!! I will be sure to use AES3 whenever it is possible then!!

But to assure me (I am really difficult, I know), when you said that some customers have reported they prefer the BNC connection over the RCA, what are your personal thoughts on that?

I assume all of these people have used a source with BNC output, not just a cable that has BNC on one end.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #417 on: 13 Aug 2013, 05:41 pm »
That is quite fascinating!! I will be sure to use AES3 whenever it is possible then!!

But to assure me (I am really difficult, I know), when you said that some customers have reported they prefer the BNC connection over the RCA, what are your personal thoughts on that?

I assume all of these people have used a source with BNC output, not just a cable that has BNC on one end.

I think the differences and preferences people hear have a lot to do with the rest of their audio system than the specfic connection used.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #418 on: 13 Aug 2013, 05:56 pm »
I think the differences and preferences people hear have a lot to do with the rest of their audio system than the specfic connection used.

james

Dear Sir, thank you very much for all your replies. They made plenty things clear for me! I must say that I wasn't really aware of the facts you spoke of but your replies reassure me that I made the right choice in any case. Of course, the AES3 input, as you have stated, is clearly the highest quality one and will be reserved for one of your own BDP digital players which I hope to purchase in the coming months.

I must also say that I am quite excited about the BOT-1 optical media transport you are currently working on.

Best wishes from Croatia,
Antun

stereoal

« Reply #419 on: 14 Aug 2013, 05:48 am »
I connect my CD player to my Bryston DAC with a RCA to BNC cable. The BNC end connects to the DAC. The nice thing about BNC is that it is a locking connection, making it very solid. The cables are made by Bryston and I ordered them with my equipment. The cables are well made, reasonably priced and sound great. If you can purchase one of these cables, I would stick with the BNC connections on the DAC. It is better to use a BNC cable because they are more accurate in achieving the necessary 75 ohms.