BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #380 on: 31 May 2013, 02:37 pm »
James,

We installed a BDA-2 and moved from a MAC outputting via a Halide USB to S/PDIF convertor to straight garden variety USB cable from the Mac to the USB BDA-2 input. In both instances Audirvana is used and the sound degraded significantly.

Is this mostly due to the USB cable or will a quality USB cable still leave a large gap in performance?

Thanks for your assistance.

WOW tough one to answer as I get about a 50/50 from dealers and distributors and customers on the merits of both USB and AES or BNC out.  I prefer the AES as I feel it has more air and extension but if your system is on the bright side you may prefer the USB.

james

PS - not to mention over all the contraversary regarding the technical merits of eac approach.

budcook

« Reply #381 on: 31 May 2013, 03:32 pm »
WOW tough one to answer as I get about a 50/50 from dealers and distributors and customers on the merits of both USB and AES or BNC out.  I prefer the AES as I feel it has more air and extension but if your system is on the bright side you may prefer the USB.

james

PS - not to mention over all the contraversary regarding the technical merits of eac approach.
I've compared all three as connections between the BDP-2 and the BDA-2.  Cardas AES, good quality Audioquest BNC and run of the mill USB.  AES is clearly the best connection followed by the BNC and then USB.  I can't say how much better USB would be if it was something like the Cardas Clear but I believe comparing apples to apples in cable quality my preferences wouldn't change.  The AES connection provides a better sound stage.  The USB cable has the advantage in cost.  A Cardas USB cable is about half the cost of the other two in the Cardas lineup and it can be used to feed the DAC from either a computer or the Bryston BDP.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #382 on: 31 May 2013, 03:55 pm »
What about the idea of a scalled down BDP-1 with no soundcard and USB out only - could save about 20% on the cost of the BDP-1,....  could call it the BDP .5  ????

james

gtaphile

« Reply #383 on: 31 May 2013, 05:44 pm »

james

So it sounds like the computer grade USB cable is the major difference. Will try an audio world cable.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #384 on: 1 Jun 2013, 07:07 am »
What about the idea of a scalled down BDP-1 with no soundcard and USB out only - could save about 20% on the cost of the BDP-1,....  could call it the BDP .5  ????

james

...nice idea, James. but i think that most of the people would prefer a .5 version of the BDP-2 due to its increased performance and inputs?!?!

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #385 on: 1 Jun 2013, 11:42 am »
...nice idea, James. but i think that most of the people would prefer a .5 version of the BDP-2 due to its increased performance and inputs?!?!

al.

I was thinking the BDP1 though as it would allow someone to get that level of quality at a much lower price point?

BDP 0.5

james

Brovig

« Reply #386 on: 1 Jun 2013, 04:39 pm »

james

James, what is your recommended USB cable for the BDA-2?

And I see you're testing out various players, including the Audirvana. Any conclusions yet? 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #387 on: 4 Jun 2013, 02:47 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers                                                                                                       
SUBJECT: Bryston BDP-2/BDA-2 Review HP Soundings

Hi Folks,

Please see below a link to a review on the new Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player and BDA-2 DAC

The review is from ‘HP Soundings’ which is Harry Pearson’s (from Absolute Sound Magazine fame) new online magazine.

http://www.hpsoundings.com/2013/06/review-bryston-bdabdp-2/

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #388 on: 4 Jun 2013, 04:43 pm »
 :banana piano:

Congratulations on yet another stellar review, James. As an owner of the BDP-2 and BDA-2, the observations and conclusions that Mr. McCallum presents in his cogent and well written article ring true. These components offer accuracy, resolution, power, and most of all engagement that I had not heretofore experienced with my system.

I had avoided digital downloads and computer-based audio because of technical complexities, noise/interference, and other interface problems. The BDP-2 solved all that. I use a hardwired gigabit connection to our Mac network, and management of the 500gb SSD I installed in the player is clear and logical. When I ran into a couple of technical glitches, Chris Rice worked his magic, spending over an hour on the phone with me to resolve matters.

One matter meriting further attention is the expandability of both components. The multiplicity of connections in the BDA-2 and the BDP-2 offer impressive versatility, and the increased power of the BDP-2 presents users wishing to control vast digital libraries with the resources to do so.

Now all we need is the BOT-1! Of course, we're all waiting patiently.  :hyper:

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

bjski

« Reply #389 on: 10 Jun 2013, 10:01 pm »
I just replaced my BDA-1 with a BDA-2. Wow, if your on the fence get it. :thumb:

werd

« Reply #390 on: 12 Jun 2013, 03:52 pm »
I just replaced my BDA-1 with a BDA-2. Wow, if your on the fence get it. :thumb:

The bda2 is fuckn unbelievable.  :thumb. Have a naim V-1 dac in house right now and it cant do what the bda can do sonically..

jeffjensen

« Reply #391 on: 16 Jun 2013, 10:33 pm »
I was thinking the BDP1 though as it would allow someone to get that level of quality at a much lower price point?

BDP 0.5

james

That's a nice idea.  What about HDMI input (audio only)?  HDMI and USB are all I need for BDA inputs.

Digital source players have greatly moved that direction, and some e.g. latest Denon, only have HDMI outs.  I'd like to use HDMI out from sources without buying an SP3 (just too much $$), for HDMI higher performance/bandwidth than the coax/toslink.

My other desire is a separate unit of only the surround processing - a stripped SP.  i.e. use BDA with the stripped SP.  DACs have changed faster than other equipment (on par with video), and ability to upgrade BDA but keep 7.1 processor is what I'm looking for.  Best of breed and easier replacement via components.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #392 on: 16 Jun 2013, 10:34 pm »
That's a nice idea.  What about HDMI input (audio only)?  HDMI and USB are all I need for BDA inputs.

Digital source players have greatly moved that direction, and some e.g. latest Denon, only have HDMI outs.  I'd like to use HDMI out from sources without buying an SP3 (just too much $$), for HDMI higher performance/bandwidth than the coax/toslink.

My other desire is a separate unit of only the surround processing - a stripped SP.  i.e. use BDA with the stripped SP.  DACs have changed faster than other equipment (on par with video), and ability to upgrade BDA but keep 7.1 processor is what I'm looking for.  Best of breed and easier replacement via components.

Hi

HDMI has a lot of jitter.

james

jeffjensen

« Reply #393 on: 17 Jun 2013, 12:18 am »
Hi

HDMI has a lot of jitter.

james

SP3 processes HDMI audio input; isn't the problem then solved?  Should I infer that, since the SP3 seems to have solved the problem, that the solution is not cost effective enough for your BDA .5 idea?

What about the SP .5 thought; is that feasible or not from your perspective (or is that already in the works! :-) )?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #394 on: 17 Jun 2013, 01:35 am »
SP3 processes HDMI audio input; isn't the problem then solved?  Should I infer that, since the SP3 seems to have solved the problem, that the solution is not cost effective enough for your BDA .5 idea?

What about the SP .5 thought; is that feasible or not from your perspective (or is that already in the works! :-) )?

Hi

It depends on the quality you are after  its just that HDMI has more jitter than other methods and on the BDP we wanted a product with the lowest amount of jitter possible given current technology.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #395 on: 2 Jul 2013, 11:18 am »
Hi Folks,

New review on Bryston BDA-2 DAC from Soundstage Magazine

http://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/597-bryston-bda-2-digital-to-analog-converter

james

bjski

« Reply #396 on: 3 Jul 2013, 01:53 pm »
Nice review James. You should have sent him a BDP so he could fully appreciate the BDA-2.  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #397 on: 5 Jul 2013, 10:29 am »
Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:10 PM
To: jamestanner@bryston.com
Subject: BDA-2 & BDP-2

James, you may recall answering several queries of mine on the subject units; utilizing my Oppo BDP-95 as a transport and replacing my computer with the BDP-2.

Taking a leap of faith, I had Audio Perfection order both units. I've had the units nearly one month now and I'm very happy with the build quality, design, and most importantly; the sound. Aside losing the ability to play SACD's through the DAC (minor nit), I have been very happy.

Bryston's quality stands apart and I appreciate it. Thank you for all your assistance.

Best regards,
Jay Tuominen

mr_bill

« Reply #398 on: 5 Jul 2013, 05:14 pm »
The guys at Audio Perfection in Minneapolis are great

project1971

« Reply #399 on: 27 Jul 2013, 09:44 am »
Hi Folks

Been playing around with the BDA-2 USB asynchronous input using a variety of files up to 192/24.

I have tried it with my PC using JRiver and Media Monkey as well as my MAC laptop using Amarra and Pure Music.

Any other programs I should try?

James

HI JAMES
i have bda1 with ext hiface evo and  problems on 192/24 lock unstable (usb wireworld 2m and 1.2m. I see from your report that bda2 usb is working flawless on 24/192 .what length and quality is the usb cable you are using from pc ?
thanks