BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

werd

Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #320 on: 11 Apr 2013, 09:20 pm »
Werd,yes racked.
Al,two cd's per TD,that should be plenty for a few road house party's,thx.

Don

let me know when you get the dac and i will let you try my wywires xlr into it :thumb:, or my atlas opus in rca  :thumb: for digital connect.

if you want

drummermitchell

« Reply #321 on: 12 Apr 2013, 01:14 pm »
Werd,thanks for the generous offer.

Robert D

« Reply #322 on: 12 Apr 2013, 01:23 pm »
Don did you Order your BDA-2 19" rack mount ?
I'll have to talk to James & Brian for my 12 % Commission.  :D

Robert

drummermitchell

« Reply #323 on: 12 Apr 2013, 01:44 pm »
Yes with the blu led's.
12% is not bad when you consider your putting up with me and my imported China Doll for an exclusive weekend at your place with 24 hr access to the pool and the back yard all expenses paid courtesy of Robert&Company :thumb:,now that's a deal.
Oh I's sorry Robert,I see you didn't read the fine print :nono:.

Robert D

« Reply #324 on: 15 Apr 2013, 10:45 am »
Comparing the BDA-1 to BDA-2 the db level is higher on the BDA-1
On the same song when the 2 units are side by side the BDA-2 is lower volume. I have to raise the volume on my BP26 at least half to 3/4 on a notch. To obtain the same volume.
 James, can you please check with your engineering department .... if the db level of BDA-2 can be increased.

Thank you Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #325 on: 15 Apr 2013, 10:59 am »
Comparing the BDA-1 to BDA-2 the db level is higher on the BDA-1
On the same song when the 2 units are side by side the BDA-2 is lower volume. I have to raise the volume on my BP26 at least half to 3/4 on a notch. To obtain the same volume.
 James, can you please check with your engineering department .... if the db level of BDA-2 can be increased.

Thank you Robert

Hi Robert

No the internal volume in the BDA is a function of the 'gain' in the system so it should not be played with.

james

Robert D

« Reply #326 on: 15 Apr 2013, 12:37 pm »
Thanks for the fast answer James... 

James, BDA-2 ...I'm balanced connected to my BP26, Is the swing on the RCA's out to the BP26  any different ??? Db level.
For your info My 4bsst2 are a  balanced connected to my Bp26 ... gain is set at 2v or 23db at left and right channel of each 4bsst2.

Thanks Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #327 on: 15 Apr 2013, 04:06 pm »
Thanks for the fast answer James... 

James, BDA-2 ...I'm balanced connected to my BP26, Is the swing on the RCA's out to the BP26  any different ??? Db level.
For your info My 4bsst2 are a  balanced connected to my Bp26 ... gain is set at 2v or 23db at left and right channel of each 4bsst2.

Thanks Robert

Balanced lines/circuits add an additional 6dB of gain.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #328 on: 15 Apr 2013, 04:10 pm »

Robert D

« Reply #329 on: 15 Apr 2013, 05:52 pm »
Balanced lines/circuits add an additional 6dB of gain.

james

Thank you James  that's my set up
I'll just raise the Volume  !
I was not sure...
Regards Robert

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #330 on: 16 Apr 2013, 03:22 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Polish Review of Bryston BDA-2 DAC and BDP Digital Player

Sent: April-16-13
To: James Tanner
Subject: Bryston BDA-2, BDP-2 - Audio Video Review

Dear Bryston,
Please find Bryston BDA-2 DAC and BDP-2 Digital Player review from Polish Magazine --- Audio Video Magazine.

ftp://ftp.bryston.com/pub/reviews/Bryston%20BDP-2_BDA-2_av4-13%20(2).pdf

A Few English Translated Sentences from the review:
"(...) A very good Class 2 USB input in the BDA-2, so that this DAC is one of the best asynchronous D/A converters in its own class.

BDA-2 is in a very well-balanced, rich and musical.

More of an emphasis on warmth, richness and natural sound color than the ruthless precision or resolution.

Best:
Robert

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #331 on: 17 Apr 2013, 09:24 pm »
Bryston does have some serious fans in Poland!
Same journal that selected BHA-1 as pre-amp of the year?

Bob

Mbain

« Reply #332 on: 19 Apr 2013, 08:23 pm »
To date I have not seen a direct reference comparing/contrasting the BDA-2 to other DACs.  I have been using an Audio Research DAC 8 as my reference, paired with A BDP-1.  I would like to hearing from anyone who has had the opportunity of compare the units mentioned above.

Mark

hidefguy

« Reply #333 on: 20 Apr 2013, 08:47 am »
The retail price on the BDA-2 is attractive

James

I am interested in integrating a DAC to my standard B100-SST. With the price of all the BDA-1's going down in the used market and the low price of the BDA-2, I feel reluctant paying 1000 USD for the upgrade versus picking up a used BDA-1.
Would you be able to arrange a discounted rate on this older style DAC upgrade to the B100? Perhaps some incentive that will provide a mutual benefit to me, and your company? Thanks

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #334 on: 20 Apr 2013, 10:27 am »
To date I have not seen a direct reference comparing/contrasting the BDA-2 to other DACs.  I have been using an Audio Research DAC 8 as my reference, paired with A BDP-1.  I would like to hearing from anyone who has had the opportunity of compare the units mentioned above.

Mark

This is NOT a review or a scientific test... in fact, its JUST 3rd party hearsay really. My local Bryston dealer loaned out a Berkeley Alpha v2 DAC and Bryston BDP-2 DAC to someone with a much higher end system than mine (~15k-20k speakers, thats all I know). He bought the Bryston BDA-2, and apparently it was an "easy" decision.

I understand its just one person's opinion that works for their equipment in their room. I'm keeping my eyes out for comparative reviews, so I'll post any I find here (I already ordered by BDA-2, but I still love to read reviews).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #335 on: 20 Apr 2013, 11:08 am »
The retail price on the BDA-2 is attractive

James

I am interested in integrating a DAC to my standard B100-SST. With the price of all the BDA-1's going down in the used market and the low price of the BDA-2, I feel reluctant paying 1000 USD for the upgrade versus picking up a used BDA-1.
Would you be able to arrange a discounted rate on this older style DAC upgrade to the B100? Perhaps some incentive that will provide a mutual benefit to me, and your company? Thanks

HI

The internal DAC in the b100 is only capable of 96/24 resolution so I would go with the outboard BDA-1 which can do 192/24.

james

Mbain

« Reply #336 on: 20 Apr 2013, 02:32 pm »
This is NOT a review or a scientific test... in fact, its JUST 3rd party hearsay really. My local Bryston dealer loaned out a Berkeley Alpha v2 DAC and Bryston BDP-2 DAC to someone with a much higher end system than mine (~15k-20k speakers, thats all I know). He bought the Bryston BDA-2, and apparently it was an "easy" decision.

I understand its just one person's opinion that works for their equipment in their room. I'm keeping my eyes out for comparative reviews, so I'll post any I find here (I already ordered by BDA-2, but I still love to read reviews).

Grit,
     Thanks very much for your piece of anecdotal information.  I look forward to further thoughts you and others may have on this topic.

Mark

Samurai7595

« Reply #337 on: 20 Apr 2013, 07:02 pm »
Another excellent review of the Bryston BDA-2 External DAC:

"I cannot think of higher praise, nor can I imagine living without the Bryston BDA-2."

http://www.avguide.com/review/bryston-bda-2-digital-analog-converter

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

hidefguy

« Reply #338 on: 20 Apr 2013, 07:32 pm »
HI

The internal DAC in the b100 is only capable of 96/24 resolution so I would go with the outboard BDA-1 which can do 192/24.

james

Thanks for the advice James.
I'll keep that in mind. Just out of curiosity:
Is the price of the DAC upgrade for the B100 still $1000

drummermitchell

« Reply #339 on: 21 Apr 2013, 01:04 am »
Man, 11 days seems like a month since I ordered the BDA-2 19"RM in black an blue led's :lol:,no funny.