BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

drummermitchell

Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #300 on: 9 Apr 2013, 12:49 am »
I'm hoping 3 weeks or less  :o(that's some hoping)I'd say 3.
Course with James at the top of the mountain maybe we can get her earlier :thumb:.

werd

« Reply #301 on: 9 Apr 2013, 12:56 am »
I'm hoping 3 weeks or less  :o(that's some hoping)I'd say 3.
Course with James at the top of the mountain maybe we can get her earlier :thumb:.

nice

What are you going to do with your old bda1 ?

hal jones

« Reply #302 on: 9 Apr 2013, 01:04 am »
It'll be 2 weeks on Wednesday since I ordered... and paid for mine.  :green:

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #303 on: 9 Apr 2013, 01:20 am »
Bryston fans, I would appreciate your help with three questions on firmware updates for the BDA-2.

1. The manual states that Macs are not supported. Ouch. Is this still the case? Chris . . . please, please, please. I run Windows 7 on a BootCamp partition on my iMac, so I could uninstall the BDA-2 from the audio system, move it near the iMac, and perform the update. A pain, though.

2. Is there any special cable needed for a USB 2.0 to RS232 connection, or is this generic? I see lots of flavors on Amazon, including different chipsets (chipsets? why?). Any specific  one- or two-meterish cable you'd recommend?

3. Are the firmware updates infrequent?

Thanks muchly,

Rich

drummermitchell

« Reply #304 on: 9 Apr 2013, 02:24 am »
nice

What are you going to do with your old bda1 ?
Hi Werd,just sold her.
Going to do a BDP-1 or 2 in a month or so.

Afterimage

« Reply #305 on: 9 Apr 2013, 07:21 am »
I just ordered mine.  Should be here in about 2 weeks.  I currently have the Mytek, but even though the Mytek sounds good, it is not user friendly.  I used the have the NAD M51 but the Mytek was more open and spacious.  I hope the BDA-2 is a step up from both.  One thing that sold me on the BDA-2 is I have a lot of pop/rock recordings that are not the best, but I have read the BDA-2 doesn't expose their poor production as much as other DACs.   Other parts of my system are Wyred4sound music server, Burmester 082 Integrated Amp, and Elac FS 249 Black Edition speakers. 

werd

« Reply #306 on: 9 Apr 2013, 03:37 pm »
Hi Werd,just sold her.
Going to do a BDP-1 or 2 in a month or so.

Oh nice, go for the bdp 2. Gives you more usb space.  Get yourself an ipad also if you dont have one already.

drummermitchell

« Reply #307 on: 10 Apr 2013, 02:21 am »
Werd I don't think I could listen to that many songs.
I figure I can do up a bunch of thumb drives with different styles of music and that would be good enough.
If I can do maybe 20  or so songs on a TD then I'm set.
Read a bit about each so before I pull the other trigger on mah scatter gun I'll do some more reading.

werd

« Reply #308 on: 10 Apr 2013, 04:55 am »
Werd I don't think I could listen to that many songs.
I figure I can do up a bunch of thumb drives with different styles of music and that would be good enough.
If I can do maybe 20  or so songs on a TD then I'm set.
Read a bit about each so before I pull the other trigger on mah scatter gun I'll do some more reading.

That's why I am not buying  the bdp2. However there are 4 inputs which include two in the back on the bdp1. The two in the back are too close together and they suffer from the usb sticks literally on each other. I have sticks I cant get the two in together. Its nice to have more usb drives but you probably wont even use the back since it will be racked right?.

Robert D

« Reply #309 on: 10 Apr 2013, 12:07 pm »
Werd & Drummermitchell ...
I'm using 1 TB drive in the back of the BDP-1 .... It had 19hours 4 min and 30sec of Music .. As Well in the front of the BDP-1
1 Thumb usb drive with 14 or 15 songs on it... and all of my album art...
Once again the BDP-1 and BDP-2 have the same identical Julia sound card in each... They have the same Sound coming out of them.
The only difference between the 2 units is the capacity of playing a very large library of Music.
I will wait till Bryston comes up with high-end sound card that will replace the Julia sound card.
Then Bryston will call it a BDP-3 and we all will be Happy !

The operation of the BDP-1 and BDP-2 are almost the same..... With that saying since the BDP-2 will  support a very large music library it is quicker to respond to you your action of choice of Music.

The BDP-1  works great & very user friendly , you can select what you want to hear . And where you want to hear it from.
From a computer or Ipad .

I will wait till Bryston come up with a new sound card. No point in me changing my BDP-1 for  a 2

Regards Robert

drummermitchell

« Reply #310 on: 10 Apr 2013, 12:56 pm »
Robert,how many songs can you put on one thumb drive 20 or more,inquiring minds would like to know,thx.

Robert D

« Reply #311 on: 10 Apr 2013, 01:10 pm »
Robert,how many songs can you put on one thumb drive 20 or more,inquiring minds would like to know,thx.

Don, It 1st depends on the size of the thumb USB DRIVE
They come in 4GB,8GB,16GB,32GB,6GB, 128GB
I would say the average CD is between 350MG to 450MG
So if you do the calculation plenty Buddy  :thumb:

Robert

drummermitchell

« Reply #312 on: 10 Apr 2013, 01:36 pm »
Since I'm a grade 7 grad Robert,how many songs or cds on say a 4 gig TD.
Also are they're certain types(quality wise)TD's one should look at or are they all the same.

Robert D

« Reply #313 on: 10 Apr 2013, 02:01 pm »
Since I'm a grade 7 grad Robert,how many songs or cds on say a 4 gig TD.
Also are they're certain types(quality wise)TD's one should look at or are they all the same.

Chris Rice is the genius at Bryston .... I would ask Him Buddy
Regards Robert

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #314 on: 10 Apr 2013, 07:32 pm »
Don,

i'd say about two cd per gigabyte if resolution is 44.1khz@16bit (wave).

al.

drummermitchell

« Reply #315 on: 10 Apr 2013, 11:43 pm »
Werd,yes racked.
Al,two cd's per TD,that should be plenty for a few road house party's,thx.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #316 on: 11 Apr 2013, 03:27 am »

Al,two cd's per TD,that should be plenty for a few road house party's,thx.

...Don, i think that the minimum size of a thumbdrive is 4gb. so that would be around 8 cds (44.1@16, wave).

al.

lycia

« Reply #317 on: 11 Apr 2013, 10:19 am »
From Engineering:

James,

I can confirm that it works fine with my setup.

Dan

Hello James:

Please thank Dan for me. I have now resolved the problem. In desperation I uninstalled the USB drivers and reinstalled. Surprisingly everything now works as it should, but an explanation is beyond me.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #318 on: 11 Apr 2013, 10:26 am »
Hello James:

Please thank Dan for me. I have now resolved the problem. In desperation I uninstalled the USB drivers and reinstalled. Surprisingly everything now works as it should, but an explanation is beyond me.

Well that's great to hear. I tried 3 different units I have at home and they we fine as well :scratch:

James

zied

« Reply #319 on: 11 Apr 2013, 03:39 pm »
Hi all,
Just a quick update. I have received my van den hull optocoupler MK2 toslink and did compare performance with usb cable.  I can confirm that, at least on my system, there is no perceptible difference in performance when using van den hull toslink compared to using wireworld ultraviolet usb cable.
I am using the following system:
Audirvana on mac mini -- BDA-2 -- BP26 -- 4BSST2 -- PMC IB2.

Zied