BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #280 on: 5 Apr 2013, 02:46 am »

Thank you for your reply, James.
If I connect the BDA-2’s SPDIF output to a SPDIF input of my BDA-1 then I can obtain no analogue output from the XLRs of the BDA-1. This happens only when the USB input of the BDA-2 is chosen. If the BDA-2’s AES/EBU input is chosen then the normal output from the XLRs of the BDA-1 is present. The BDA-1 sees the incoming signal from the BDA-2 (with the latter's USB input chosen) as it records any change in bitrate. However, it seems not to process the signal.
Further advice would be appreciated.

Ok I will check further with engineering.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #281 on: 5 Apr 2013, 02:44 pm »
Ok I will check further with engineering.

james

From Engineering:

James,

I can confirm that it works fine with my setup.

Dan

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #282 on: 5 Apr 2013, 05:06 pm »
Absolute Sound Review - Bryston BDA-2 DAC April 2013

ftp://ftp.bryston.com/pub/reviews/Absolute_Sound_Review%20_BDA2.pdf

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #283 on: 5 Apr 2013, 05:54 pm »
Wow.

I have never enjoyed the music more, and have never heard more in the recording. I cannot think of higher praise, nor can I imagine living without the Bryston BDA-2.
     Karl Schuster, Absolute Sound, 05-2013

Congratulations, James & Brystonites. What an impressive and well-deserved review.

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

hal jones

« Reply #284 on: 6 Apr 2013, 01:16 am »
I hate reviews like that.

Makes my wait seem even longer..... :bawl:

bjski

« Reply #285 on: 6 Apr 2013, 01:25 am »
I guess I'll be selling my BDA-1.

zied

« Reply #286 on: 6 Apr 2013, 10:24 am »
Dear all,
The TAS review suggests on page 2 that the BDA-2 sounds much better when it is connected to SPDIF than to USB output. I am using a mac mini -> BDA-2 -> BP26 -> 4BSST2 -> PMC IB2 system. So, I have only two output options: usb or toslink. Do you think that the sound will be better if I switch from USB output to Toslink optical cable? For example, using a Van den Hul Optocoupler II toslink cable.

Thank you.

Zied, from France.

zied

« Reply #287 on: 6 Apr 2013, 10:29 am »
A second question,
I received my BDA-2 5 days ago (SN. 126). Is there a firmware update available? How can I know if a firmware update is available?
Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #288 on: 6 Apr 2013, 10:31 am »
A second question,
I received my BDA-2 5 days ago (SN. 126). Is there a firmware update available? How can I know if a firmware update is available?
Thanks

Hi

No with the DAC there has not been any firmware changes.

james

zied

« Reply #289 on: 6 Apr 2013, 10:34 am »
Thank you for your reply, James.

Xinon

« Reply #290 on: 6 Apr 2013, 01:56 pm »
Congrats on wonderful reviews.
Bryston makes the best dacs , competing with dacs costing far more .
Me myself will never part with my Bda1 , it is the best dac period imho  8)

"Some listeners will initially find the BDA-2 “laid-back” or “recessed”; it takes a little time to move past our preconceived categorical constraints, and embrace the paradigm shift implicit in the BDA-2’s radical advance in conveying spatial relationships. The sensation of being in the presence of live musicians is uncannily realistic, yet un-spectactularly natural."

Same conclusion as my own, I just couldn't get past the  “laid-back” or “recessed" part comparing it to Bda1 .
Depends much on what type of music you play , as I play mostly blues and rock and some jazz ,I liked the more hard hitting and forward(but never harsh) sound of the nr1  , on classical it could go the other way :thumb:

marsboer

« Reply #291 on: 6 Apr 2013, 10:20 pm »
Dear all,
The TAS review suggests on page 2 that the BDA-2 sounds much better when it is connected to SPDIF than to USB output. I am using a mac mini -> BDA-2 -> BP26 -> 4BSST2 -> PMC IB2 system. So, I have only two output options: usb or toslink. Do you think that the sound will be better if I switch from USB output to Toslink optical cable? For example, using a Van den Hul Optocoupler II toslink cable.

Thank you.

Zied, from France.

If I were you I wouldn't give that much thought. This is directly opposite to what many, if not most, other people are subjectively experiencing when they go from a standard sound card based S/PDIF connection to a modern good XMOS-based async USB implementation. I would think that the ESI Juli card using S/PDIF actually will give higher jitter measurements than the async USB connection. He seems to me to have a negative bias against USB-based solutions that he fools himself to think he doesn't have, just as he seems biased towards Bryston DACs in general given that he already had BDA-1, and the excessive amount of praise. He uses pretty strong words, indicating huge performance gains from BDA-2 over existing DACs in general, and S/PDIF vs USB, something that makes me not finding this review useful at all. It is simply to subjective and overstated, and absolutely nothing seems to have been done to actually verify this huge quality differences using a little bit less subjective techniques.

I hopefully get my BDA-2 soon, and judging from my previous experience from comparing audio products in this quality range I am pretty sure that the differences will ble only slightly detectable to more or less imagined compared to my BDA-1. At least not a revolution. I am also pretty sure that there will be little to no actualy quality difference between async USB and S/PDIF, both experienced and measured (if this was an option).

EDIT: I actually use the Van den Hul Optocoupler II toslink cable between my computer and the BDA-1 today. I could hear no diffence in my case when I bought it to replace the 4m Mitsubishi Eska POF from Blue Jeans Cable (which is a good quality cable made of plastic, which according to some is unsuited, even though the bandwith is made to be perfectly good enough for the TOSLINK standard. It is in fact a TOSLINK cable :) ). I originally used a async M2Tech Hiface Two USB-adapter with RCA->BNC coax, but the USB-adapter randomly failed to be detected during boot. It had to be pulled out and inserted into the USB again. I sonically slightly prefered the M2tech async USB (which is XMOS based) but that doesn't really matter when the product itself is unreliable.

s4s4s4

« Reply #292 on: 6 Apr 2013, 10:55 pm »
Dear all,

Thank you.

Zied, from France.

Maybe its time to buy a BDP-1

drummermitchell

« Reply #293 on: 7 Apr 2013, 12:08 am »
Hi James,can the BDA-2 be ordered with a rack mount face like my BDA-1,THX.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #294 on: 7 Apr 2013, 12:22 am »
Hi James,can the BDA-2 be ordered with a rack mount face like my BDA-1,THX.

Yes sir it can :thumb:

james

larevoj

« Reply #295 on: 7 Apr 2013, 01:21 am »
Dear all,

Thank you.

Zied, from France.

Good Day Zied, I don't recommend Toslink. I had the exact same system (BDA-1) as yours with exception to speakers and have tried the VDH Opto II as well. I suggest to use a good external USB converter to your DAC for the best result or direct USB input. Cheers~

zied

« Reply #296 on: 7 Apr 2013, 09:19 am »
Thank you all for your help. I have ordered a Van den hull toslink cable to test if there is a difference on my system. I believe that the best thing to do is to buy a BDP-1, which I will certainly do shortly. What kind cable do you recommend to connect a BDP-1 to BDA-2 (SPDIF (BNC), AES/EBU (XLR) or toslink?
Thank you.
Zied

P.S. I believe that it is important to stress that Bryston's dealer in Paris (HD-link) has provided a state-of-the-art quality service. I highly recommend it for anyone shopping for Bryston products in France.

s4s4s4

« Reply #297 on: 7 Apr 2013, 03:47 pm »
I have used BNC and AES, both worked well, don't think I could tell much diff between the two. The BDP does not have a toslink out.
« Last Edit: 8 Apr 2013, 10:39 pm by s4s4s4 »

drummermitchell

« Reply #298 on: 9 Apr 2013, 12:17 am »
There,ordered my BDA-2 19"in black and blue leds with rack mount :thumb:.

hal jones

« Reply #299 on: 9 Apr 2013, 12:26 am »
Did you get an idea of when the unit would be ready?