BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

Elemberg

Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #200 on: 2 Feb 2013, 12:27 am »
Elemberg, et al,

I decided to go back and try BDA-1.  With my system and my squeezebox, it works perfectly...again.  So happy to have the BDA-1 back in my system.
Maybe I should consider a better power supply for the SB touch.

I did do some critical listening tonight and I think what is going on is that the BDA-2 is more resolving, hence exposing the limits of the squeezebox.  But this is a hypothesis.
All I can say is that I am happy with the sound at this time.  Synergy and my ears speak louder than specs and features for now.

I have decided to order a BDP-2 from Bryston. I have never had a high end player (sooner or later everyone needs a good go to player), and I think this concept has potential and a local
audiophile (Acadie here) put the bug in my ear for this player.  On the plus side, no computer is needed to play music and I can go as high as 24 bits and 192 KHz of hi rez tunes.

Once configured properly (with an external router and some software downloads), I will be able to control it via an iPad or iPod.  So I'll put the effort towards that endeavour and see how far that gets me up the sound ladder.  And it'll look good in my system.

Wish to take some time here to thanks James and Mike from Bryston.  They have been patient dealing with me and they put extra effort in helping me with their (my) gear. 
Some may say that Bryston gear is expensive, but when you factor build quality, warranty, support and in the end service, in my books that is worth something.

Ottawa HiFi (AKA Jules).

PS: I guess I'll need help with that BDP-2 when it arrives.http://www.audiocircle.com/Smileys/audiocircle/icon_confused.gif

Jules,

Congrats!!!  I look forward to your impression of the BDP-2 VS. the Squeezebox touch.   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com

wilsonij

• BDP1>SP3>7B3s> Vandersteen Quatros
« Reply #202 on: 3 Feb 2013, 11:22 pm »
I look forward to your impression of the BDP-2 VS. the Squeezebox touch.   

I seem to remember the BDP1 and 2 have the same sonics but different connectivity (plus more power to the usb sockets)...

...if that's the case, then over the past few days I've been listening to a Squeezebox Duet via SPDIF versus a BDP1 via AES, both into an sp3, and found significant improvements.

I was not really expecting there to be much of a difference, in theory the exact same digital data stream is being presented to the Crystal CS4398 DACs in my sp3, but for whatever reason (SPDIF vs AES ? NAS vs USB drive ?) while the clarity and convenience of the sound is the same, the presence, weight, solidity... call it what you will, but the "three dimensionality" of the soundstaging is significantly better. I also suspect the dynamic range is greater too, though this may be the same effect being expressed in another way.

I wouldn't say the sound is 10 times better (the relative cost of the two options) but then I don't think that is something we're too bothered about when pursuing that extra 5% of quality...

...suffice to say the Duet has been relegated to the spare room and I'm liking the BDP1 experience, especially couple with the MPad app (just as good as the iPeng app I use for the Squeezebox system... in fact I really like the playlist creation feature, but do miss the ability to browse-by-year).

Ian

Ottawa HiFi

« Reply #203 on: 4 Feb 2013, 02:47 am »
Thanks for your post Wilsonij.

I currently stream with a Squeezebox Touch.  I do have some hi-rez, 24 bit - 96khz material.

I am looking forward to see how much of an improvement the BDP-2 will bring.

I am a little worried about connecting another wireless router to my network.  I'll bridge another airport express to my current network. 

Also have on the mind, how will I get this BDP-2 hooked up to my network; then the app; then how to control it.

I have challenges ahead of me.  I am sure I'll get it working in time and looking forward to the results, and hopefully, improvements.   :D

SHV

« Reply #204 on: 4 Feb 2013, 04:42 am »
"Also have on the mind, how will I get this BDP-2 hooked up to my network;..."
IIRC, Bryston (Chris) recommends 1) hard wire  2) D-Link (powerline)   3) wireless

Steve

Ottawa HiFi

« Reply #205 on: 4 Feb 2013, 03:12 pm »
The D-Link powerline is interesting.

Wim J

« Reply #206 on: 8 Feb 2013, 06:47 pm »
Ordered my BDA-2  today  :D

Ottawa HiFi

« Reply #207 on: 8 Feb 2013, 11:45 pm »
Let us know who it works out for you.

!!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #208 on: 19 Feb 2013, 06:11 pm »
Hi Folks,

Got a very in depth review today on the Bryston BDA-2 DAC which will appear in the May/June issue of Absolute Sound Magazine.

The reviewer had a lot of nice things to say about the BDP-1 digital Player as well in combination with the BDA-2 DAC  :thumb:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #209 on: 19 Feb 2013, 10:35 pm »
Also heard from Secrets OF Home Theater today who are also doing a review on the BDA-2. 

His comment was - "James the measurements on the BDA-2 are below my Audio Precisions analysers ability to measure them!!!"

james

audioMirror

« Reply #210 on: 20 Feb 2013, 03:45 pm »
Congrats on what sounds like it will be a good review!

I am holding off on upgrading my BDA-1, to find out how people compare it vs. the BDA-2 (or can get an in-home demo).

I love the BDA-1/BDP-1, but sometimes think that there must be an improvement possible.  The inputs sound different, as does upsampling/no-upsampling.  Can they all be right?

I usually listen with no upsampling, as this gives me the most visceral feeling of the music.  Upsampling sounds more spatially expansive, and slightly smoother, but at the cost of the impact of drums and transients.  I can't help think that perfection would be the expansiveness of upsampling, but with the visceral feeling of no upsampling.  Not sure that's possible ...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #211 on: 20 Feb 2013, 03:55 pm »
Congrats on what sounds like it will be a good review!

I am holding off on upgrading my BDA-1, to find out how people compare it vs. the BDA-2 (or can get an in-home demo).

I love the BDA-1/BDP-1, but sometimes think that there must be an improvement possible.  The inputs sound different, as does upsampling/no-upsampling.  Can they all be right?

I usually listen with no upsampling, as this gives me the most visceral feeling of the music.  Upsampling sounds more spatially expansive, and slightly smoother, but at the cost of the impact of drums and transients.  I can't help think that perfection would be the expansiveness of upsampling, but with the visceral feeling of no upsampling.  Not sure that's possible ...

Hi

I prefer listening to the "NATIVE" resolution as well. :thumb:

james

Marius

« Reply #212 on: 20 Feb 2013, 05:11 pm »
HI James,

Are the BDA2/BDP2 available in Europe (Netherlands here) already? Like to give them a try !

Cheers,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #213 on: 20 Feb 2013, 05:13 pm »
HI James,

Are the BDA2/BDP2 available in Europe (Netherlands here) already? Like to give them a try !

Cheers,
Marius

I think so - I will check with Export guy.

james

Robert D

« Reply #214 on: 20 Feb 2013, 10:39 pm »
Congradulations  to the team at Bryston.
I have had my BDA-2 sitting on my couch for the last week.
As well I have been without a Stereo system for 3 weeks.
Here in the house hold we are still under renovations lol …
Before I start I have to say a thank you to drummermitchell  for his help  with my dictated 20amp and 15amp x 3  new  circuits  Thank you Sir … Yes indeed took some time but they are in.
Buddy, Wow eee . What a change in performance all around. A must for all high end gear.
And to werd for his always professional ear  Thank you Sir .
Congradulations to the team at Bryston.
What a superb Dac this BDA-2 is something else. Smooth to the ears.
Big improvements over the BDA-1
Smooth to the ears
Sound stage  what can I say  amazing much more present. I guess the 20amp Circuit has something to do with it…
The highs are much more matured .. They seem to have taken my Paradigm signature S8V3’s to to a new Level
As well all of the tings and the pings are just so clear.
The BDA-2 has been on my mind ever since Bryston introduced it a few months back
I just had to have it.

Bass is smooth with more crisp detail.
Highs are clean rich with more detail.
Separation of the instruments is more profound much more detail clean & smooth
Sound stage what can I say  amazing much more present
The BDP-1 and the BDA-2  are connected via  AES–EBU  The perfect Combo
I have not tried any other inputs   I shall in time.

I’ll post some Picture Food later in the Week
Thanks All
Best regards Robert

BrysTony

« Reply #215 on: 20 Feb 2013, 11:11 pm »
Congratulations, Robert!  Upgrade to the BDA-2 is very tempting.  My guess is that it is much more of an improvement than the BDP-2 upgrade.

Tony

Robert D

« Reply #216 on: 21 Feb 2013, 12:05 am »
Congratulations, Robert!  Upgrade to the BDA-2 is very tempting.  My guess is that it is much more of an improvement than the BDP-2 upgrade.

Tony

The sound is exactly the same to the T as a  BDP-2
The sound card in both units is the same it's the Julia sound card
The only difference between the BDP-1 & BDP-2 is its capacity to play a much larger music library and of course the speed to able to change between units.
I will only upgrade my BDP-1 once Technology will bypass the Julia high-end sound card that Bryston is currently using.
I'm told the Julia is a very High end sound Card. So it looks like 3-5 years down the road.... Bryston will up Grade to a BDP-3
With a New Sound card with all the bells & whistles

So bottom line. The BDP-1 & BDA-2 Combo is the only way to  Go 
If you do have a BDA-1 change.it sell it ...  You will not regret it..
The BDA-2 will put a smile on your loved ones !  :thumb:
Regards Robert

BrysTony

« Reply #217 on: 21 Feb 2013, 01:05 am »
The sound is exactly the same to the T as a  BDP-2
The sound card in both units is the same it's the Julia sound card
The only difference between the BDP-1 & BDP-2 is its capacity to play a much larger music library and of course the speed to able to change between units.
I will only upgrade my BDP-1 once Technology will bypass the Julia high-end sound card that Bryston is currently using.
I'm told the Julia is a very High end sound Card. So it looks like 3-5 years down the road.... Bryston will up Grade to a BDP-3
With a New Sound card with all the bells & whistles

So bottom line. The BDP-1 & BDA-2 Combo is the only way to  Go 
Regards Robert

I have been running the BDP-1/BDA-1 for quite some time now and have been very satisfied with it.  However, the new DAC chips in the BDA-2 have me interested.  Thanks for the information.

Tony

jtinto

« Reply #218 on: 21 Feb 2013, 09:21 pm »
Regards Robert

I'm still trying to decide between buying a used BDA-1 or a new BDA-2.
Anyone thinking about selling their BDA?

Cheers
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2013, 04:41 am by jtinto »

wilsonij

• BDP1>SP3>7B3s> Vandersteen Quatros
« Reply #219 on: 23 Feb 2013, 11:24 pm »
Having only recently replaced the awesome Classe SSP-800 with an SP3, I'm still coming to terms with how much better the definition of the vocals and instruments within the soundstage are.

I guess much of this is down to the impressive pre-application circuitry within the SP3, but it may also be the quality of the programming of the Crystal CS4398 DACs.

As the BDA-1 uses the same chipset, I've not paid much attention to adding such a unit between my BDP and SP3, however the introduction of the BDA2's dual 192K/32Bit AKM DAC’s has made me wonder what, if any, improvements this might introduce.

Has anyone compared/contrasted (preferably double blind) between an SP3 alone versus a BDA2 into an SP3 using the same source ?