BDA-2 DAC and BDA-3 DAC

gjorgji

Re: BDA-2 DAC
« Reply #180 on: 27 Jan 2013, 01:28 am »
I Get mixed results when comparing them side by side . But one has played thousands of hours , the other only 50 . Both are spectacular soundwise ,but  Bda2 is a little constrained making vocals a little more distant, and the bass is a tad drier (harder) and does not go as deep , I feel the bassthump in the chest more with the Bda1 .
I had to check the specification to see if they had the same output voltage ,because I felt the Bda1 was louder . Bda1 makes rythmic music swing more ,it has more PRAT , Bda2 is a bit more focused/controled( maybe) an relaxed .
Similar findings here. BDA2 has well laid down sound stage, where BDA1 is flatter.BDA2 has better instruments separation and tone control: duration and definition. Cymbals on BDA1 are more sparkly and somewhat bright( not a plus in my books) and bass is not as tight(control ed) and defined as BDA2. Now, vocal..not sure.. might like the BDA1 as is presenting it more upfront. Overall BDA1 sounds lightly coloured,with smaller/compressed soundstage vs BDA2.
Now the USB interface, not as impressed. Curious about other people's findings.

Robert D

« Reply #181 on: 27 Jan 2013, 01:22 pm »
Werd can you please post some feedback about the BDA-2
After approximately 1 month of your use.
Soundstage, Mids, Lows, Vocals..... Separation.

Regards Robert

Robert D

« Reply #182 on: 27 Jan 2013, 03:35 pm »
Good Morning Werd  :thumb:

Robert

werd

« Reply #183 on: 27 Jan 2013, 04:22 pm »
Werd can you please post some feedback about the BDA-2
After approximately 1 month of your use.
Soundstage, Mids, Lows, Vocals..... Separation.

Regards Robert

Hi Robert

I just got back from a week away from home. While away my bda1 showed up from Bryston all checked out. I had an issue with a bnc connect that was resolved. It's up for sale actually. Tonight I will back to back it again.

What you get is the bda1 circuitry with a different dac board. I am using a Audio oasis passive,(that if any anything is great for comparing front ends).  Its a transformer driven passive so the front end quality is crucial since its the front end driving the whole sound, amplified by the 14b.

The sense of timing is exactly like the Bda1 and pace is great.  What you get is a 32 bit dac compared to a 24 bit dac. Aside front the sound difference the 32 bit gives you a better sense of power in the fillers and background sound. Its a better dac IMO. The whole soundstage feels better pronounced with more power.  Yo are able to get a better sense of the cymbals as whole. The air gets around the cymbals better than bda1. Its a more colored dac for the good.

I have noticed that Bryston is moving away from the completely neutral to a more colored soundstage. The 4Bsst2 was like that compared to the sst  and the 14b is also. I have heard the complaint of sibiliance on this thread but I don't noticed it, infact it's   step back if anything. Remember I am using a TPV passive so if there is sibiliance generated by the dac It would show up in spades on my system.

I will get back to you later when I hook up the bda1.

My only complaint so far but also fixable is Windows8 doesn't recognize the drivers for the bad 2 yet. I can't get it to work using the compatibility work arounds either.

Ottawa HiFi

« Reply #184 on: 28 Jan 2013, 03:56 pm »
Werd,

Appreciate reading your comments this morning.  Glad to hear you are not getting any sibilance.  Apart from that characteristic of the sound in my system, and extended (but not bright) highs, the BDA-2 was a fine performer.

James has put it to the ultimate test (Test equipment at Bryston + his ears over the weekend).  I am awaiting his final conclusion.

James has offered me a BDA-1 in exchange (earlier post).  So the question for me will be:  do I take the BDA-1, or, take back the BDA-2 and try to fix the sibilance problem in my system.  If the BDA-2 checks out ok, then it has probably revealed a hidden problem in my system.  Decisions, decisions...

For everyone's info: I am using a Squeezebox Touch as my source, which when paired with the BDA-1, was sounding extremely well.

This is a good board and I am glad to see the involvement by all.

Ottawa HiFi (AKA Jules)

mkaiser

« Reply #185 on: 28 Jan 2013, 05:08 pm »
The decision seems simple enough....take the BDA2 and fix the problems with your system. I would suggest starting with that squeezebox and replace it with much better quality source. Buy used if money is limited.

Mark

werd

« Reply #186 on: 28 Jan 2013, 05:16 pm »
Werd,

Appreciate reading your comments this morning.  Glad to hear you are not getting any sibilance.  Apart from that characteristic of the sound in my system, and extended (but not bright) highs, the BDA-2 was a fine performer.

James has put it to the ultimate test (Test equipment at Bryston + his ears over the weekend).  I am awaiting his final conclusion.

James has offered me a BDA-1 in exchange (earlier post).  So the question for me will be:  do I take the BDA-1, or, take back the BDA-2 and try to fix the sibilance problem in my system.  If the BDA-2 checks out ok, then it has probably revealed a hidden problem in my system.  Decisions, decisions...

For everyone's info: I am using a Squeezebox Touch as my source, which when paired with the BDA-1, was sounding extremely well.

This is a good board and I am glad to see the involvement by all.

Ottawa HiFi (AKA Jules)

Hi

I would go with the bda2, however it's your call. But my sneaking suspicion is the problem lies somewhere in the realm of your squeezebox. Do you own a laptop? Try using the USB-in unplugged running on lithium. The bda2 has the 24 bit usb so there is a good reason right there to go with the 2. Idk it's your call but the source driving the dac is as important as the dac IMO. 

Before you decide audition a bdp some how using hirez files. The bdp drives both dacs to the max with no noise induced, or very little I suppose and then you can see what you like better. Unless you plan on keeping the squeeze box then you may as well stay with the 1.

Ottawa HiFi

« Reply #187 on: 28 Jan 2013, 05:28 pm »
To MKaiser,

I am thinking of the Bryston digital player, The BDP-2.  Or an Oppo BDP-105.

I like the Bryston concept since you can build around it with a wireless router + remote control app.  No moving parts so to speak,
so the unit would be reliable for years to come.

I like the convenience of the Squeezebox touch, and the price point!   :)    I also like the internet radio app.

I realize the Bryston will be more work to set up, but then again, I would be gaining a higher level of performance, ie: 24 bit 192 khz playback capabilities.  And if I can get it to work with wireless functionality, then that would be a bonus.

+ it would match my DAC!

Ottawa HiFi

« Reply #188 on: 28 Jan 2013, 05:58 pm »
Or more specifically,

An external drive with my music library which I could control via a iPod Touch or an iPad.

gordon

« Reply #189 on: 28 Jan 2013, 10:12 pm »
Similar findings here. BDA2 has well laid down sound stage, where BDA1 is flatter.BDA2 has better instruments separation and tone control: duration and definition. Cymbals on BDA1 are more sparkly and somewhat bright( not a plus in my books) and bass is not as tight(control ed) and defined as BDA2. Now, vocal..not sure.. might like the BDA1 as is presenting it more upfront. Overall BDA1 sounds lightly coloured,with smaller/compressed soundstage vs BDA2.
Now the USB interface, not as impressed. Curious about other people's findings.
I am using BDA2 exclusively via USB without any re-clocker between my Mac mini and the BDA2 and find it to be very good. USB was a problem in the BDA1 to my ears they've solved it nicely with the 2.

Anything specific you are hearing via USB?

mkaiser

« Reply #190 on: 28 Jan 2013, 10:42 pm »
To MKaiser,

I like the Bryston concept since you can build around it with a wireless router + remote control app.  No moving parts so to speak,

I like the convenience of the Squeezebox touch, and the price point!   :)    I also like the internet radio app.

I realize the Bryston will be more work to set up, but then again, I would be gaining a higher level of performance, ie: 24 bit 192 khz playback capabilities.  And if I can get it to work with wireless functionality, then that would be a bonus.

+ it would match my DAC!

The BDP sounds like the way with regards to an external drive. Something i may pursue if my music ever becomes hi-res.

Mark

mrhyfy

« Reply #191 on: 28 Jan 2013, 11:44 pm »
To MKaiser,

+ it would match my DAC!

don't forget,, the oppo 105 also includes a not too shabby dac!

Ottawa HiFi

« Reply #192 on: 28 Jan 2013, 11:59 pm »
Mr HyFy,

Yes the BDP-105 has indeed a not to shabby DAC.  Reviews are good.  However, as with most all in one boxes, when you read the fine print, you
discover that use of the DAC via an external source limits you to 96 KHz resolution (24 bits).

And that my indeed be good enough, but it is still a limitation compared to the Bryston DACs which can perform to 192 KHz (24 bits).

Jules

srb

« Reply #193 on: 29 Jan 2013, 12:37 am »
However, as with most all in one boxes, when you read the fine print, you discover that use of the [Oppo BDP-105] DAC via an external source limits you to 96 KHz resolution (24 bits).

To further elaborate, it is true that 2 channel PCM sources are limited to 24/96 through the coaxial and optical S/PDIF inputs, but the USB input is full 24/192 asynchronous.

Steve

mrhyfy

« Reply #194 on: 29 Jan 2013, 03:00 am »
To further elaborate, it is true that 2 channel PCM sources are limited to 24/96 through the coaxial and optical S/PDIF inputs, but the USB input is full 24/192 asynchronous.

Steve

not to mention HDMI input!!  ( I better be careful,,this is a BRYSTON thread!!)

Robert D

« Reply #195 on: 29 Jan 2013, 10:49 pm »
Hi Robert

I just got back from a week away from home. While away my bda1 showed up from Bryston all checked out. I had an issue with a bnc connect that was resolved. It's up for sale actually. Tonight I will back to back it again.

What you get is the bda1 circuitry with a different dac board. I am using a Audio oasis passive,(that if any anything is great for comparing front ends).  Its a transformer driven passive so the front end quality is crucial since its the front end driving the whole sound, amplified by the 14b.

The sense of timing is exactly like the Bda1 and pace is great.  What you get is a 32 bit dac compared to a 24 bit dac. Aside front the sound difference the 32 bit gives you a better sense of power in the fillers and background sound. Its a better dac IMO. The whole soundstage feels better pronounced with more power.  Yo are able to get a better sense of the cymbals as whole. The air gets around the cymbals better than bda1. Its a more colored dac for the good.

I have noticed that Bryston is moving away from the completely neutral to a more colored soundstage. The 4Bsst2 was like that compared to the sst  and the 14b is also. I have heard the complaint of sibiliance on this thread but I don't noticed it, infact it's   step back if anything. Remember I am using a TPV passive so if there is sibiliance generated by the dac It would show up in spades on my system.

My only complaint so far but also fixable is Windows8 doesn't recognize the drivers for the bad 2 yet. I can't get it to work using the compatibility work arounds either.

Thank you werd for your remarks  :D
I'm looking forward to my New Loved One

Robert

Xinon

« Reply #196 on: 30 Jan 2013, 05:22 am »

Does this mean you havent compared them side by side ?

Xinon

« Reply #197 on: 30 Jan 2013, 01:46 pm »
Got 150 hours on the Bda2 now ,and the table is slowly turning .
And I think now that Im keeping the 2 and will return the 1 next week .
The Bda1 is livelier than the 2 ,and voices are more forward ,but it can sound to "wild" in complex music .
Bda2 is a little more in control and tighter  , in the long run easier on the ear.
It has opened up a bit since new , and is now sounding pretty darn good  :thumb:

Elemberg

« Reply #198 on: 1 Feb 2013, 02:16 am »
James,

I will think about your offer. 

From what other are generally saying, the BDA2 is a significant step up.

I will look at every component in my system, starting with my source to see where the sibilance is coming from.

I suspect the BDA2 is revealing the shortcomings of my $300 transport (the Squeezebox touch).  That's a good place to begin.

I appreciate your comments.  And James (from Bryston), thanks for your extra attention to my DAC.  I know you are pulling double duty this weekend
to listen to it.  Look forward to your remarks on Monday.

Ottawa HiFi (AKA Jules).

I'm also using a Squeeze Touch with an external power supply, but with great results.  While I would love to purchase a BDP-2 to compliment the BDA-1 it is out of my price range for the moment.  I might down the road, but I love the interface using an iPad through the iPeng app.  It would have to be many times better than the Squeeze to qualify the price point of the BDP-2.     

Ottawa HiFi

« Reply #199 on: 1 Feb 2013, 03:32 am »
Elemberg, et al,

I decided to go back and try BDA-1.  With my system and my squeezebox, it works perfectly...again.  So happy to have the BDA-1 back in my system.
Maybe I should consider a better power supply for the SB touch.

I did do some critical listening tonight and I think what is going on is that the BDA-2 is more resolving, hence exposing the limits of the squeezebox.  But this is a hypothesis.
All I can say is that I am happy with the sound at this time.  Synergy and my ears speak louder than specs and features for now.

I have decided to order a BDP-2 from Bryston. I have never had a high end player (sooner or later everyone needs a good go to player), and I think this concept has potential and a local
audiophile (Acadie here) put the bug in my ear for this player.  On the plus side, no computer is needed to play music and I can go as high as 24 bits and 192 KHz of hi rez tunes.

Once configured properly (with an external router and some software downloads), I will be able to control it via an iPad or iPod.  So I'll put the effort towards that endeavour and see how far that gets me up the sound ladder.  And it'll look good in my system.

Wish to take some time here to thanks James and Mike from Bryston.  They have been patient dealing with me and they put extra effort in helping me with their (my) gear. 
Some may say that Bryston gear is expensive, but when you factor build quality, warranty, support and in the end service, in my books that is worth something.

Ottawa HiFi (AKA Jules).

PS: I guess I'll need help with that BDP-2 when it arrives.http://www.audiocircle.com/Smileys/audiocircle/icon_confused.gif