Record clamp or no on Golf Ball Well Tempered Tables

sHERO

The original Well Tempered turntables included a record clamp, the current golf ball tables do not.

Is there and official position on whether to clamp the records or not on the current golf ball tables?

Any experience on clamping records on the newer tables?

mick wolfe

Re: Record clamp or no on Golf Ball Well Tempered Tables
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2023, 07:55 pm »
The newer "golf ball" WT's really aren't designed to accept a clamp.(or especially a heavy weight) The spindle on mine is 1.25" above the platter for one thing. That spindle height alone would make it incompatible with most clamps/weights. I think WF went out of his way to eliminate the clamp in his newer designs. I've had an Amadeus for a decade and have felt no need for a clamp of any sort.

VinceT

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2023, 07:56 pm »
I have an Amadaus MKII golfball tonearm.

The older models used a belt, the Amadaus (and seems the modern models) use a filament drive belt and I would speculate one would not want any added weight to the platter with that style WTL turntable. Don't quote me on this, personally I would not consider adding a clamp on my table and never found I needed to.

sHERO

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2023, 10:36 pm »
I understand the objection to adding a heavy clam, especially because compared to the old WTTs that had a flat bottom main shaft, the newer ones have a pointy main shaft.

Still, I think somethng like Clearaudio Clever clamp would ad almost no weight.

VinceT

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2023, 11:00 pm »
Thanks for bringing that product to my attention

I think that would be a great solution for the WTL table

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RZ1_NtWvJE

I found this video on the product, for 40.00 USD it is worth a try; I just ordered one so I will let you know.

sHERO

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2023, 12:21 am »
I just found an August 30, 2010 post from Mike Pranka expressing the following on the use of clamps on the new tables.

"There's no need to use a clamp with the Amadeus. Clamps aren't 'good' or 'bad'.. it's just that some 'table designs incorporate them and some do not. Concern that a clamp is needed to flatten out a warped record is solved by the fact that the Amadeus 'arm will track any warped record you're likely to play. I'm told that Mr. Firebaugh once did a demonstration at an audio show of an early prototype w/ a (very) severely warped record and that it tracked it like a roller coaster.
The foam mat that comes w/ the 'table was chosen after listening to many different materials. With an acrylic platter, we found that we didn't like something too heavy or overdamped. The foam lets the music flow with it's life in tact. There's no doubt a different mat material somewhere that will suit a particular taste and system, but the foam one does work well and was far from an afterthought."

So there is no need or benefit on these tables.

mick wolfe

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2023, 02:09 am »
I understand the objection to adding a heavy clam, especially because compared to the old WTTs that had a flat bottom main shaft, the newer ones have a pointy main shaft.

Still, I think somethng like Clearaudio Clever clamp would ad almost no weight.

It's not about the weight. It's the fact that every time you force it down over the spindle, you're still putting an unwanted downward force on the delicate bearing/cup setup of the current turntables. Just my humble opinion and nothing more, but enter at your own risk.

sHERO

« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2023, 01:28 pm »
 :thumb:

VinceT

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2023, 04:38 pm »
The clever camp works very nice

Is is very light, the table cannot tell it is there

As far as Mick's concern with the spindle, with the Amadeus the spindle is affixed to the platter. So with my model at least, the slight downward pressure from the clamp against the record and top of the platter does not affect the bearing cup assembly in any way from what I can tell.

mick wolfe

« Reply #9 on: 1 Apr 2023, 05:36 pm »
Vince....glad it's worked for you. Let us know in time if there's any significant improvement sound wise. As for me, I'll probably just be sticking to my A23 mat only.