New Amadeus owner

G E

New Amadeus owner
« on: 2 Feb 2014, 02:46 am »
Today I picked up my WT Amadeus from Allan and the gang from Audio Alternative in Atlanta. I had them mount my Grado Reference Sonato too. Glad I did, they really dialed it in.

The wall wart power supply created a terrible hum no matter the cables or phono preamp I tried. I looked through my collection of powr supplies and one from my HP computer monitor did the trick. Hum vanished and the music started. 

This turntable blows away my venerable Harman Kardon HK 720 that I have used for 30 years.  I won't belabor the details as it has been covered so many times elsewhere.

I am very pleased with this gear and look forward to many listening sessions onward.

Thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts and a hat tip to those who sent private messages.

Next step is to get an external power supply. Will look into the lab grade devices. As a bonus I can use it for my various electronics projects.

Cheers!

ge

/mp

Re: New Amadeus owner
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2014, 07:13 pm »
or just get a 2nd HP monitor supply since it seems to do the job.

Enjoy,

G E

Re: New Amadeus owner
« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2014, 08:43 pm »
Long session last night with Amadeus.

This is a really fine record player and I stayed up well past bedtime.

Early in the evening I thought I was not getting that last bit of sparkle that I had enjoyed with my old HK deck. Swapped out the foam mat for my home made cork job and HOLY COW!

Amazing the difference a mat makes.