Wall insulation

RoadTripper

Wall insulation
« on: 19 Oct 2018, 12:21 pm »
I'm fitting out my medium sized basement room (~24x16 feet). This involves mainly adding drywall to two of the walls which are currently concrete. My question is whether or not there is some acoustic benefit to adding some sort of insulation between the wall studs that would fill out the air space between the drywall and the concrete. Some suggest that it would further deaden the room. Others doubt it.

What say 'yall??

Thanks.

benguin

Re: Wall insulation
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2018, 01:32 pm »
If you are in any sort of cool/cold climate, I'd suggest putting up some EPS or XPS insulation as a continuous (and taped) barrier on the concrete before the studs.  This will seriously help prevent moisture vapor from condensing in the cavities.  If you do this, don't forget to insulate well in the rim joist bays as well.  Then, with the stud wall in place, you're primed to put some insulation in between.  We used Roxul (now branded as Rockwool), as it is very moisture tolerant, but you could use either cotton or (ugh) fiberglas.  This may not dramatically affect deadening the sound, as drywall is pretty reflective, but your energy bills should be a lot better.

We had excellent results with the above on the walls, and combo of cotton batts in the ceiling with Green Glued drywall topped by fire rated 5/8" drywall (it's heavy!).  Does a nice job at cutting down noise from my wife's grand piano up above and our audio system down below.  Add some acoustic corner and wall treatments and you should have pretty good results.

- ben

artur9

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2018, 11:40 pm »
I used a lot of Roxul in the spaces behind the drywall in my old media room.  It really helped with boomy bass.  After I put it in the waterfall measurements with REW looked really good.  The other benefit is that the room no longer needed the gas stove for heat.

I noticed no deadening probably because the drywall is so reflective as mentioned above.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2018, 12:38 am »

As mentioned, with basements it is recommended you place some moisture barrier against the concrete before insulating. I went whole hog and used 2 inch thick foam before I put up the walls. And of course you would insulate the walls but more for warmth than sound.

Consider two layers of drywall and then bass trapping.