Modifying the OB 7x

klh

Modifying the OB 7x
« on: 5 Aug 2007, 07:45 pm »
Last night I had a crazy idea. Of course it happening about 3:00am while laying in bed trying to sleep. That is:

Why not build the new OB 7x (w/XBL^2 woofers) kit but leave the back off the enclosure of the lower woofers. If there are full dividers between each of the XBL^2  woofers, but the back is off, wouldn't that esentially create four woofers per side in a open baffle U configuration? If my understanding is correct, the U configuration would enhance the lower frequencies while keeping the open baffle sound throughout the entire range of the speaker. Since the lower woofers would only cover the lower frequencies, the open baffle MTM would remain intact and unchanged. I only heard of the U vs H configuration while reading the subwoofer thread at Kevin Haskin's circle, so my understanding of open baffles is minimal at best. Since the dimensions of the box would remain intact, stability would be a non-issue, and the vertical off axis response (and horizontal for that matter) would also be unchaged. One could just put speaker cloth over the back of the woofer section and it would still look like the regular OB 7 but just have more open sound. I wonder how low a fully open baffle speaker like this would play.

What do you open baffle guys think of this idea? How flawwed is it?

Danny Richie

Re: Modifying the OB 7x
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2007, 08:07 pm »
I have already experimented with doing this. I used four M165X woofers in the test box.

You can't just leave the back off. It sets up a cavity resonance that is pretty bad. The sides can't be more than about 2" deep. I did one test box that had sides with a depth of about 14" at the bottom and went to only 2" deep as it reached the top of the box. Resonance in the enclosures area was still bad. Bass sounded horrible.

It would need to be a completely open baffle with virtually no sides for this to work with these drivers in this configuration.

klh

« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2007, 01:05 am »
You're always one step ahead Danny ;). We'll just have to wait until you come out with your open baffle line array. That will be amazing.

RAW

« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2007, 01:21 am »
We'll just have to wait until you come out with your open baffle line array. That will be amazing.

Can you say in the works. :green:
Yes will be a RAW product.