LS-9 tweaking and testing

Danny Richie

Re: LS-9 tweaking and testing
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jul 2007, 12:01 am »
These speakers behave very odd in a ported box though,

Not really. They are designed a little differently than a standard 6.5" woofer.

The DCR is about 3.1 ohms per woofer.

BillB

« Reply #21 on: 28 Jul 2007, 01:07 am »
Ohhh...so they arent the M-165X you have on your site then?  :duh:

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 28 Jul 2007, 01:20 am »
These were specifically built for the line source application and to match the impedance and output levels of the tweeters.

brj

« Reply #23 on: 28 Jul 2007, 01:28 am »
The LS-9s look good, Danny!

Out of curiosity, how much of the difference you've perceived between the LS-6s and LS-9s do you think is due to the amp change?  The LS-9s are being powered by your monster 300+ Watt Dodd amps, while the LS-6s were powered by the Dodd 50s or 120s, correct?

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #24 on: 28 Jul 2007, 03:25 am »
brj brings up a good point. Say, speaking of more power.....what can those of us who are "just considering" putting high power/current amps(ohhh lets just say a nice set of Classe CAM-400 mono-blocks or something like that) on a set of LS-9s expect?

arthurs

« Reply #25 on: 28 Jul 2007, 03:31 am »
It may remind you of this old favorite...

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #26 on: 28 Jul 2007, 02:21 pm »
Oh yeah!  :thumb: the picture would be even more accurate if the dude was sitting in front of two large refridgerators!

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 28 Jul 2007, 02:56 pm »
I listened to both speakers on the big blue monsters side by side. I also listened to the LS-6's for several weeks on the big blue monsters prior to getting the LS-9's assembled.

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #28 on: 28 Jul 2007, 03:32 pm »
So what do you think Danny, low power tubes or high power/current SS monoblocks? This would be for the LS-9's and I would be running a tube pre. Thank you for all your work on these.

Regards,
John

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 28 Jul 2007, 04:13 pm »
I think high powered tubes.  :thumb:

Really though, the impedance is high enough and the sensitivity is high enough that you could drive them with anything. My 50 mono-block tube amps sound great on them. Having a lot of power on them is a lot of fun though.

Pick what you can afford that sounds the best. High power is not a necessity but a luxury with these.

Before I'd spend money on a big pair of Classe mono-blocks I'd hit Gary Dodd up for a pair of his latest 120 tube amps. I think he said that they are actually closer to 150 watts per channel now (plenty of power) and they sound sweet. They will be less money than the big Classe amps too.

brj

« Reply #30 on: 28 Jul 2007, 05:06 pm »
Quote from: Danny
I listened to both speakers on the big blue monsters side by side. I also listened to the LS-6's for several weeks on the big blue monsters prior to getting the LS-9's assembled.

Oops - I forgot you had another pair of LS-6's handy.  I was only remembering the pair that ended up at Art's.  Sorry about that.

At least the amps have a name now... the BBMs! :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #31 on: 28 Jul 2007, 05:13 pm »
At least the amps have a name now... the BBMs!

Curtsey of my wife.   :icon_lol:

wshuff

« Reply #32 on: 29 Jul 2007, 01:09 am »
I don't think BBM (Big Blue Monsters) will fly.  Just do a Google search and you'll see how that company that makes cables and interconnects is convinced that it owns the word that starts with M, ends in r, and has "onste" in the middle.  The company that shall not be named for fear of litigation has a habit of suing anybody who uses the word.  In fact, I'm afraid to even utter it, much less type it, lest I get a cease and desist order.

Danny, I have a baby due to arrive via C-section on October 2, I'm waiting on my first new car, and I placed my pre-order for the LS6 in May 06.  At this point, the only thing I know I'll have before Christmas is the baby, but the second half of 07 is going to be exciting for me. 

I also made a contribution to my Redneck Retirement Fund tonight (aka Powerball), so if my numbers come up, maybe I can get a couple of those Blue Bad Boys (B4) from Gary.  They'd match the color scheme in the room that is the future home of my LS6.
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2007, 02:39 am by wshuff »

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #33 on: 29 Jul 2007, 04:08 am »
Danny,
Thanks for the advice on the amps, will have to check out those Dodds. Now, can you pull some strings and get those boys at AV123 to release the 9s now!! I'm about to pop man...... :lol: