New OB-7 design

Danny Richie

New OB-7 design
« on: 4 Jun 2007, 11:59 pm »
Here are a few pics in the prototype box.

This offers the same center section as the previous OB-7 design (now being called the OB-7 Plus), but moves all four mid-bass woofers to below the upper MTM section. This one is easier to build too.

All four woofers are also in a sealed enclosure, so low bass extension is not as low as the OB-5 that uses a pair of M-130/16's in a ported enclosure. However the bass response is very tight and clean. It is designed to be used in conjunction with a sub.

This new version will be offered as a kit for only $875. This includes all of the best components including Sonicaps.

I will also be offering this model with the new M-130X woofers (lower woofers only). This further extended the bottom end and increased output in the 80Hz and down range. Distortion was clearly lower from listening comparisons and cleaner as well. With the M-130X woofers the kit cost will be $995.

Attached is an in room response using the standard M-130's (in Red) and the same in room response after swapping out the woofers for the new M-130X version (Green).

« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2007, 01:04 am by Danny »

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: New OB-7 design
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2007, 12:24 am »
Can't wait to hear this baby!  :green:

We'll have a pair up and playing in a week or so. I'll have some pics of our slightly refined version soon.

Cheers

ttan98

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2007, 05:07 am »
If you can share the x-over design would be welcomed, email me at tean_tan@hotmail.com.

I will be placing an order for drivers soon still tossing up the choice of M130 or M130X.

BTW what is the speaker effciency of the OB5 and OB7?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2007, 03:20 pm »
Crossover points are still the same. 1,800Hz and 200Hz range. Sensitivity is still at 91db also, and the response is really smooth.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jun 2007, 05:44 pm »
Nice!  :thumb:  I may have a local customer for this "completely" open MTM section design.

mas

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2007, 12:29 am »
Danny, I am ready to begin my OB-5 installation. I chose the OB-5 over the OB-7 because I wanted the top section open. Cost issues aside, what are the pros and cons of the new design compared to the OB-5?

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2007, 01:25 am »
The OB-5 is going to play a little lower.

The OB-7 has a more gradual roll off that will give you less room gain in the lower region, but will be a little tighter and cleaner. Distortion in the lower ranges is lower with the OB-7 especially with the M-130X woofers.

The OB-7 is designed to be used with and integrate well with a sub.

ttan98

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2007, 11:19 pm »
Shouldn't you be concern about the peak at around 16-17khz eventhough it is outside earing for most.

samplesj

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jun 2007, 11:28 pm »
Shouldn't you be concern about the peak at around 16-17khz eventhough it is outside earing for most.

But isn't that only 3dB or so?

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2007, 11:46 pm »

Absolutely not a problem. One, it is almost out of the range of our hearing (where it is hard to hear any small peaks) and above the range covered by our music. Two, it is not that big. Three, it looks great in the off axis response.

See response on axis (red) and then 10, 20, 30, and 40 degrees off axis.

Have a look at the response 20 degrees off axis (yellow line). Is that not flat or what?

How about vertical off axis?

Red line is on tweeter axis. Each additional measurement is made by moving the mic up 4", and this is at only 1 meter away.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #10 on: 7 Jun 2007, 01:37 pm »

ttan98,

I thought the same thing when I saw the graph of the new measurements for the first time.  :scratch:  I've owned the OB 5's (same MTM section as the OB 7's) since October last year, and built them never even having looked at the response measurements. I can assure you that these speakers sound neutral, and not tipped up at all. I would have been on the phone to Danny PDQ otherwise, as I detest tipped up responses more than anything.

My pair have been heard by over 40 people, and no one has ever commented on them in a negative fashion. The OB 5's were our reference speaker at the TAAS Amp Comparo 2007, and were a very good choice, they have awesome resolution, and are very revealing in the mid-range. We ran quite a few amps through them at the event, and afterwards I had a number of amps left with me for a few weeks, so I had the opportunity to experiment for a bit. I had everthing from Red Wine Audio Sig 70's to 300 B monoblocs on the OB 5's. There were a number of manufacturers present at the Comparo. Reps from Moscode, McAlister Audio, Kallista Audio, Song Audio, F Valve, Foundation Research, as well as 6Moons audio reviewer Paul Candy. All commented positively on the OB 5's.

When my personal OB 7's are completed, they will be offered up for review by Paul Candy.

Pic of the OB 5's at the TAAS Amp Comparo 2007:

I love the OB 5 so much, I'm now building the OB 7 for myself. The test cabinet Danny posted at the beginning of this thread was one that we made and sent to GR Research so that Danny, could double check the response of the new configuration of running the MTM section in a free air open baffle, and how it would integrate with the 4 stacked woofers (XBL and non XBL) in the lower sealed enclosure (MTMWWWW).

Some small network refinements were made, and Danny says it sounds even better than before. He said it sounded even smoother and richer in the mid range region than before, and with the XBL's sounds really clean and dynamic in the bass region.  :thumb:

We are building a set for a customer that will be replacing his Martin Logan's with the OB 7's. He will be bi-amping them with Dodd 120 monoblocs in the MTM section, SS amps for the woofer section, and running stereo subs. Quite a combo.  :drool:

Cheers

« Last Edit: 7 Jun 2007, 03:26 pm by Daygloworange »

klh

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jun 2007, 06:15 pm »
Danny... so basically what you're saying is the speakers will likely sound their best without toe in? Planned or not, that's actually pretty nice. Another thing the plots seem to show is that the speakers should sound darn good when walking around the room. It's also nice that room acoustics (standing waves) will be less of a factor since the OB7s have a sealed enclosure. Very interesting and well done :D.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jun 2007, 04:44 pm »
Daygloworange,

Cabinet quote for the new OB-7 (open baffle top version)? You are in Toronto right? I really need to head over there for a visit. Get to see you and Peter Daniel.

Anand.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jun 2007, 05:24 pm »
A fully finished pair of the OB 7's with the upgraded M-130X woofers we are currently offering for $3100.00 U.S.

You can read more about our version here

Cheers

Edit-- I forgot to mention that Danny has given us a break on the first six kits, so we are running a 10% off special on the first 6 complete turnkey OB 5's or OB 7's.
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2007, 11:51 pm by Daygloworange »